PDA

View Full Version : G21 question

300WM
12-13-10, 17:14
I did not want to ask this question because, well, I don't want to sound like more of a dope than I already do at times.

I have 2 G21's that have the non adjustable sights. I do not put a lot of rounds through them because they are a main part of my home defense, and I want to keep them as close to new as possible. I bought them at the same dealer, at the same time, and the serial numbers are eight apart. The problem to me is one of them shoots 2" higher at 25yds than the other one. It is not a home defense issue with me, but more of an anal issue. Is there something other than the sights I should look at that would get them closer on target? They both are windage perfect.

LHQuattro
12-13-10, 18:22
I did not want to ask this question because, well, I don't want to sound like more of a dope than I already do at times.

I have 2 G21's that have the non adjustable sights. I do not put a lot of rounds through them because they are a main part of my home defense, and I want to keep them as close to new as possible. I bought them at the same dealer, at the same time, and the serial numbers are eight apart. The problem to me is one of them shoots 2" higher at 25yds than the other one. It is not a home defense issue with me, but more of an anal issue. Is there something other than the sights I should look at that would get them closer on target? They both are windage perfect.

outside of filing down front sights or changing front sight heights....I'd live with it. 2" vertical deviation isn't bad, or probably even noticable. It beats going to adjustable sights. Might try different loads, but I'd just live with it.

Not sure what you're definition of a lot of rounds is, but isn't that the whole reason to get 2 identical guns? One to shoot hard and build proficiency, another as backup when one goes down. Glock 21s aren't Glock 17s, but they aren't exactly fragile either.

Or better yet, get a couple 9mm glocks and shoot the piss out of them. They'll take it (and ammo is cheaper).

300WM
12-13-10, 20:06
outside of filing down front sights or changing front sight heights....I'd live with it. 2" vertical deviation isn't bad, or probably even noticable. It beats going to adjustable sights. Might try different loads, but I'd just live with it.

Not sure what you're definition of a lot of rounds is, but isn't that the whole reason to get 2 identical guns? One to shoot hard and build proficiency, another as backup when one goes down. Glock 21s aren't Glock 17s, but they aren't exactly fragile either.

Or better yet, get a couple 9mm glocks and shoot the piss out of them. They'll take it (and ammo is cheaper).

I realize it isn't much, but it is kinda like a noise in your car dash board that you can't find. Got 2 Taurus OSSDS's that I use for shooting hard, and they are 3" apart at 25, but I don't worry about it on them. Only 800 rds. between the two Glocks. It is not that I don't trust the Glocks, matter of fact, I do trust them, as much as you can trust a gun anyway. It is why I don't put much time on them. Anyway, I appreciate your reply.

cop1211
12-13-10, 21:40
If its for your home defense, shouldnt you be shooting the crap out of the pistols? I dont get having a weapon that you would plan on using to defend yourself/family and not using it.

titsonritz
12-13-10, 22:48
If its for your home defense, shouldnt you be shooting the crap out of the pistols? I dont get having a weapon that you would plan on using to defend yourself/family and not using it.

My thoughts as well.

stmcelroy
12-13-10, 23:43

My thoughts as well.

And mine...;)

ThirdWatcher
12-14-10, 00:35
... and mine. You'll go broke buying ammo before you wear out either of those pistols.

skyugo
12-14-10, 01:11

it's pretty hard to wear out a glock..... :o

VolGrad
12-14-10, 06:57
2" @ 25yrds might drive me a bit nutty too but it's really not a big deal in a HD gun for a civilian. I too would live with it. You know it does it so you can compensate with POA, if necessary.

I will echo the "shoot the hell out of them" sentiment. Seriously, you won't do them any harm by shooting them. In fact, the triggers will smooth out and you will prob find you shoot them better after a bunch of rounds.

JonInWA
12-14-10, 07:37
I would have no hesitation about using your G21s-they're extremely tough, and you're highly unlikely to wear them out. Alternatively, familiarize with one (enough to iron out any problems/disparities, such as the sight issue), set it aside, and continue use with the other. To obtain identical POA/POI, simply replace the rear sight of the gun whose POI is high; if you're using stock Glock sights (either polymer or steel) , go with the 6.5mm rear sight-the one with a single dash marking on the right side of the sight body (the standard G21 rear sight is 6.9mm, and has a smaller dash superimposed over the larger dash for distinguishing markings).

If you have and like the OEM Glock sights, I'd recommend replacing the polymer ones with the Glock steel sights-same sight picture, much stronger sight (and they're tenifer treated to preclude corrosion). Cost is a massive $10 per sight.

Best, Jon

300WM
12-14-10, 21:37
I would have no hesitation about using your G21s-they're extremely tough, and you're highly unlikely to wear them out. Alternatively, familiarize with one (enough to iron out any problems/disparities, such as the sight issue), set it aside, and continue use with the other. To obtain identical POA/POI, simply replace the rear sight of the gun whose POI is high; if you're using stock Glock sights (either polymer or steel) , go with the 6.5mm rear sight-the one with a single dash marking on the right side of the sight body (the standard G21 rear sight is 6.9mm, and has a smaller dash superimposed over the larger dash for distinguishing markings).

If you have and like the OEM Glock sights, I'd recommend replacing the polymer ones with the Glock steel sights-same sight picture, much stronger sight (and they're tenifer treated to preclude corrosion). Cost is a massive $10 per sight.

Best, Jon

For reasons I don't wish to discuss, I don't shoot them much. I shoot them when I take them out, I just don't do it often. I know they can take it, it is why I got them for HD.

It cannot be a sight issue. I have the same problem with them when I change the slides from one to the other. No matter the set up, gun 1 is 2" higher than gun 2. 50 yard bullseye is my fancy, so I am pretty good at setting the sights up. I know 2" is not a lot at 25yds, but it really shows up 25 yards further. I cannot find any wear marks anywhere that would be indicative of what it is doing. What am I missing? The dealer is telling me to shoot them some more and they should get closer. Do you agree with this?

stmcelroy
12-15-10, 01:05
If the same lower is shooting to a different place consistently then it has to be the rails or locking block.

IMHO, you are just going to have to live with it.

cqbdriver
12-15-10, 05:42
Are these GLOCK OEM sights? If so, Glock has different height rear sights. May be they put different height on each gun (which I doubt). However, you could change one of the rear sights to get them sighted in the same.

The rear sight will have dashes on the right side of the sight indicating the height.

http://www.glock.com/english/options_rearsight.htm

300WM
12-15-10, 06:34
Are these GLOCK OEM sights? If so, Glock has different height rear sights. May be they put different height on each gun (which I doubt). However, you could change one of the rear sights to get them sighted in the same.

The rear sight will have dashes on the right side of the sight indicating the height.

http://www.glock.com/english/options_rearsight.htm

They are both 6.5 Glock sights, although I removed the white outline, which has nothing to do with the issue at hand. I have a couple of windage adjusters that I converted from C-clamps, so adjusting anything I have left to right is done in a snap. I just want to know if there is something on the frame that I am not seeing that I can touch up before I make any further sight adjustments.

JonInWA
12-15-10, 07:30
There might well be a minor physical/manufacturing difference between the two guns, causing the disparity in POI. Your choices at this point are pretty simple: Call Glock, and discuss the issue with them, and ask them to examine the guns and resolve it. Since the issue doesn't seem to be caused by any mechanical problem, in all liklihood you'll have to spend over $100 in shipping costs for Glock to...replace one of the sights. Your second choice will be to simply replace one of the sights yourself to provide an identical POA/POI between the two guns.

Look, I know that this disparity bugs you, but in reality it's extremely simple to rectify. So as long as there's not a defective component causing it (which could be symptomanic of a much larger problem down the line) I really don't think that it's that big of a deal-simply swap out a rear sight as discussed-or get adjustable rear sights...

Alternatively, you might want to have a skilled local gunsmith examine both guns.

Best, Jon

VolGrad
12-15-10, 08:20
Look, I know that this disparity bugs you, but in reality it's extremely simple to rectify.Agreed.

I know you said the problem wasn't cause by the sights. However, it could be resolved by swapping them out. What I mean is the sights might not be what's causing the issue but using a different setup could "fix" the issue by adjusting your POA/POI to compensate for the known problem.

Think golfer learning to play his slice.

operator81
12-15-10, 10:09
Have you swapped barrels between the two slides? It could be a very, very slight difference in how the barrels are locking up. With as little as the guns have been shot it could be a simple break in issue. Put a thousand rounds through each and they might settle down. Or as others have said, just replace the rear sight.

300WM
12-15-10, 10:45
Have you swapped barrels between the two slides? It could be a very, very slight difference in how the barrels are locking up. With as little as the guns have been shot it could be a simple break in issue. Put a thousand rounds through each and they might settle down. Or as others have said, just replace the rear sight.

Yes, I did swap slides and barrels. Putting more shots through them is what seems to be the the answer I am getting from elsewhere as well. It is not that big of a deal, really. It just gives me something to try to figure out, and I get a little annoyed when I am perplexed. Since it is only a .0134" shave off the top of the rear sight on the one shooting higher (or front of lower shooting one), I will put some more time and keep checking as I don't want to change anything. I just figured I would ask.

This is the third set of pistols I have bought in a pair and they are by far the closest to poa/poi between the two, out of the box. I am very pleased with them. Aside from me being anal, they group really well, and are very consistant.

Thank you all for the replies.