PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry in CO Universities

RancidSumo
12-14-10, 02:29
I'm sure many of you know that currently, CSU allows people with concealed weapon permits to carry on campus. A couple years ago they considered changing that but after threats of a lawsuit, they ended up maintaining the policy.

I however do not attend CSU. I go to school at another Colorado public university which does not allow concealed weapon permit holders to carry on campus. I looked up the law on it here in CO which states,

d) Any such permit ISSUED PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION shall be

2 effective in all areas of the state; EXCEPT THAT A PERMIT ISSUED PURSUANT

3 TO THIS SECTION DOES NOT AUTHORIZE A PERSON TO CARRY A CONCEALED

4 HANDGUN INTO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

5 (I) ANY AREA IN WHICH THE CARRYING OF A FIREARM IS

6 PROHIBITED BY FEDERAL LAW;

7 (II) ANY BUILDING THAT HOUSES ANY OFFICE OF STATE OR LOCAL

8 GOVERNMENT, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY BUILDING IN WHICH

9 COURT ROOMS ARE LOCATED;

10 (III) ANY HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY, OR PROFESSIONAL

11 ATHLETIC EVENT THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE THE USE OF HANDGUNS;

12 (IV) ANY BUILDING IN WHICH ANY EDUCATION PROGRAM,

13 PRESCHOOL THROUGH TWELFTH GRADE, IS} {CONDUCTED; EXCEPT THAT THE

14 PERSON MAY CARRY A HANDGUN INTO SAID BUILDING IF THE PERSON HAS

15 POSSESSION OF THE HANDGUN FOR USE IN AN EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM

16 APPROVED BY THE SCHOOL.

17 (e) NOTHING IN THIS SECTION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO LIMIT,

18 RESTRICT, OR PROHIBIT IN ANY MANNER THE EXISTING RIGHTS OF ANY

19 PERSON, PROPERTY OWNER, TENANT, EMPLOYER, OR BUSINESS ENTITY TO

20 CONTROL THE POSSESSION OF HANDGUNS ON ANY PROPERTY OWNED OR

21 CONTROLLED BY THE PERSON OR BUSINESS ENTITY.}

So since colleges outside of sporting events are not on this list, wouldn't CSM have to follow CO law and allow firearms on campus? It is not a private institution so I believe it must follow state law on this. The reason I am asking is because since they currently do not allow it, and it is an issue that concerns me, I'm considering approaching the administration of the school in regards to the policy.

So what do you all think? Am I crazy or is the law pretty clear cut here? If it were you, would you bring up the topic with the school or take some other course of action?

RancidSumo
12-14-10, 02:33
More relevant info.

C.R.S. 18-12-105

18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons -
school, college, or university grounds.
(1) A person commits a class 6 felony if such person knowingly and unlawfully and
without legal authority carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a deadly
weapon as defined in section 18-1-901 (3) (e) in or on the real estate and all
improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high,
high, or vocational school or any public or private college, university, or seminary,
except for the purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition
pursuant to instruction in conjunction with an organized school or class, for the purpose
of carrying out the necessary duties and functions of an employee of an educational
institution that require the use of a deadly weapon, or for the purpose of participation in
an authorized extracurricular activity or on an athletic team.
(2) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2000, p. 709, § 45, effective July 1, 2000.)
(3) It shall not be an offense under this section if:
(a) The weapon is unloaded and remains inside a motor vehicle while upon the real
estate of any public or private college, university, or seminary; or
(b) The person is in that person's own dwelling or place of business or on property
owned or under that person's control at the time of the act of carrying; or (c) The person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance and is
carrying a weapon for lawful protection of that person's or another's person or property
while traveling; or
(d) The person, at the time of carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written
permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, as said
section existed prior to its repeal; except that it shall be an offense under this section if
the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-
12-214 (3); or
(d.5) The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry
a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this
article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a
concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214 (3); or
(e) The person is a peace officer, as described in section 16-2.5-101, C.R.S., when
carrying a weapon in conformance with the policy of the employing agency as provided
in section 16-2.5-101 (2), C.R.S.; or
(f) and (g) (Deleted by amendment, L. 2003, p. 1626, § 51, effective August 6, 2003.)
(h) The person has possession of the weapon for use in an educational program
approved by a school which program includes, but shall not be limited to, any course
designed for the repair or maintenance of weapons.