PDA

View Full Version : MagPul MOE middy handguard review

Dano5326
12-14-10, 18:17
I've recently mounted a magpul mid-length handguard onto Sabre defense mid-length upper.

+'s
- It's a much tighter mount than the standard format ones it came with.
- slots to mount rails at 10, 2, 6 O'Clock
- lightweight, even the add on rails, polymer, in short appropriate lengths are lightweight
- it has a recessed area at 12 O'clock so one can mount an EoTech as far forward on the upper receiver as wished
- Inexpensive IVO $30
- the manner of construction with flanges coming forward on the sides, and down on the bottom protects your hand if you use a modern aggressive for-end grip.
- tight enough IMO, to mount a laser, light/laser combo on and, with a good zero, hit to 50m w/o worries.

neg's
- not a freefloat

Summary:
For the price you get a hell of alot. Will be putting these on some other middies.

parishioner
12-14-10, 18:35
Agreed.

They are very rigid. I love the way it slightly extends past the FSB on both sides and there is like a mini handstop on the bottom that is beneficial and can accommodate different holds.

castle
12-14-10, 18:51
does the moe block the use of a std side mount for a sling, such as the one on a 6920? they look nice and seem to be a reasonable way to get a light and vertical grip on my colt, but i like the side sling mount.

english kanigit
12-14-10, 19:51
Castle, I don't believe that it would block it.

I just used a Universal Wire Loop (http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Universal-Wire-Loop.html) from Blue Force Gear to get a sling mounted on a LW midlength I built for my girlfriend. It works great and it's excellent quality for the money. The shorter loop is tits in this application.

Ek

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-16-10, 20:40
does the moe block the use of a std side mount for a sling, such as the one on a 6920? they look nice and seem to be a reasonable way to get a light and vertical grip on my colt, but i like the side sling mount.

It does block the side sling mount, at least my Middy MOE does. I use the rail attachment and a DD/Troy QD setup up front for my 2 Point sling. Seems to work pretty well, but I wonder about the strength of the HG when I sling my rifle hard.

Heavy Metal
12-16-10, 21:01
It does block the side sling mount, at least my Middy MOE does. I use the rail attachment and a DD/Troy QD setup up front for my 2 Point sling. Seems to work pretty well, but I wonder about the strength of the HG when I sling my rifle hard.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs396.snc3/24112_113786828632179_100000025861897_284850_2426300_n.jpg

Just trim the right ear back and angle it like I did.