PDA

View Full Version : I swear my spare parts are trying to sprout a complete carbine...

Deaj
12-14-10, 22:03
I won't have the budget for a second carbine until sometime next year. I'd originally planned to purchase a second / backup AR this year but other priorities have moved this one out a bit. I was pretty sure this was going to happen so I've been picking up quality spare parts to ensure that I can keep my AR running. I now have spares for everything but the upper & lower receivers, barrel, gas block, barrel nut, and BUIS. Having the parts and necessary tools on hand to repair all but the most catastrophic failures is close enough to having a backup carbine for the time being. ...or is it.

Yeah, it is. But - I'll go to get a tool that I keep with my spares and look at the assortment of parts. This gets me thinking.... A quality stripped lower is pretty cheap and readily available locally. I could pick one up on my way home from work and assemble a complete lower. And while a complete upper is a big expense I could just order a barrel, then a stripped upper the next month, then a FSB or lo-profile gas block, then BUIS, etc.... Then I find myself shopping prices online to see how it will play out which leads me to the conclusion that by the time I have all the parts to assemble a complete carbine I'll probably be in a good position to sport for the whole thing, in pieces or built. This is a better plan anyway as I have more time to consider exactly what I want for the second carbine and I'll still have all of my spares on-hand when finished (something I'd have to collect again if I use them for a build).

That pile of parts has set this little distraction in full motion about three times now. I think those parts are trying to sprout a complete carbine.

Eric D.
12-14-10, 22:06
Is there a question or a topic for discussion here? I see this getting shut down pretty quick.

Deaj
12-14-10, 22:31
No - should probably be shut down. I was thinking aloud (well, with the keyboard). I agree - this thread brings nothing to the table. Apologies for posting this. :o

(not being sarcastic - I do get the point. :) )

Spiffums
12-15-10, 11:05
Is there a question or a topic for discussion here? I see this getting shut down pretty quick.

So you just posted to add to your post count or what? We have mods to make decisions like these.

SpankMonkey
12-15-10, 11:30
Gee you guys are anal. OP, yes collecting your parts one at a time is a great idea. Before you know it you will have several rifles. Keep an eye for the deals that come along. Stick to high quality parts and you will end up with some very nice rifles.

brs243
12-15-10, 12:36
Funny how AR's are like starfish. A whole new one can grow from a little piece.

DaBears_85
12-15-10, 13:25
I think building your own rifle with the parts you've accumulated is a great idea. It will give you a better understanding of what goes into an AR and how all of those pieces work together to form a functioning weapon.

Plus... It'll be fun. :D

EW1066
12-15-10, 13:32
Be careful, you're treading on a very slippery slope. If you use your spare parts to build a new AR, you will have to buy enough spare parts to keep 2 AR's running. That might be enough spares to build another AR...and so the cycle begins.....:)

DaBears_85
12-15-10, 13:47
Be careful, you're treading on a very slippery slope. If you use your spare parts to build a new AR, you will have to buy enough spare parts to keep 2 AR's running. That might be enough spares to build another AR...and so the cycle begins.....:)

Haha, that's a good point. :)

NickySantoro
12-15-10, 18:42
Funny how AR's are like starfish. A whole new one can grow from a little piece.

How true. I built my third AR because I had a spare pistol grip.

MookNW
12-15-10, 21:01
I bought a 1/2 off VCAS sling, it'll sprout a rifle for sure

usmcvet
12-15-10, 21:16
I am in the same boat. All I need is a lower a buffer, buffer spring a receiver ext. and LPK I have the rest. I've been trying to decide if buying the front sight block from Brownells. Any of you using one?