PDA

View Full Version : Just starting to think about an AR, Which one should i get for around $1000.00 thats

davebee456
12-14-10, 22:46
Just starting to think about an AR, Which one should i get for around $1000.00 thats dead bolts reliable..
I read about Daniel defense and Rock River and the Smith And Wesson M&P Series
sorry for the noobie advice.

Fr3EK
12-14-10, 22:51
I personally love the Daniel Defense. It will do everything you want it to and more. Their customer service is amazing and they make a quality weapon you will not be dissapointed in.

davebee456
12-14-10, 23:05
whats the best range ammo and the best Self defense ammo??

are they out of the box reliable?
and is there any break in period like a high end 1911 ??
i kind of think break in periods are bullcrap.

Whiskey_Bravo
12-14-10, 23:13
Just starting to think about an AR, Which one should i get for around $1000.00 thats dead bolts reliable..
I read about Daniel defense and Rock River and the Smith And Wesson M&P Series
sorry for the noobie advice.

Take a look at the "chart" and read through some of the below thread for what is dead bolts reliable.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

I personally have a DD and love it. My next one will be the Colt 6920.

davebee456
12-14-10, 23:22
I see i can get a Colt 6920 for around 950. stock.
and a stock DDm4 for around the same price.

are they both as reliable and accurate.?

Whiskey_Bravo
12-14-10, 23:25
There are others here that have way more experience than me, but I would say that you can't go wrong with either one. They would both serve you well.

strambo
12-14-10, 23:27
For that price I'd either get the Colt...or get a midlength Daniel Defense. The DD barrel should be a little longer lasting since it is cold hammer forged. Both are great rifles. I have used a Colt M4 on 2 overseas tours and have a personal DD upper on the way!

avengd7x
12-14-10, 23:29
I went with daniel defense and I couldn't be happier. I bought it from buds:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_901/products_id/69284

its a good deal and a great rifle

davebee456
12-14-10, 23:47
I was thinking about this one.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_901/products_id/69283

justin_247
12-14-10, 23:59
I was thinking about this one.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_901/products_id/69283

A fine choice! That was my first AR and that's a very fair price for one.

The only brands of rifles that I would buy are DD, BCM, LMT, Colt, or Noveske. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I recommend you heed the advice of the others in this thread and read The Chart to see why.

g5m
12-15-10, 00:29
Also, there is this: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65212

MacA
12-15-10, 07:28
There is some excellent recomendations here! I am relatively new to the AR platform and just bought my first, which is a Daniel Defense DDM4v2. Here are a couple of thoughts from someone that was recently "in your shoes":

I was looking to stay at or below $1000, but quickly learned that I would want to upgrade (and YOU will), so I stepped up to an AR that fit my requirements better. My DDM4v2 was $1080.
The "CHART" everyone is talking about is VERY outdated. It's reference value is only to learn what some of the important factors are for manufacturing, testing and materials. DON"T get too hung up about where particular companies are ranked on this chart. There have been a lot of changes since the data was complied! Most of these companies are on their 4th or more versions of ARs now!
Do your homework first! Search ALL the forums. This forum has an excellent search feature that will help you tremendously!
Know what your primary reason is for owning an AR (home defense, occassional range shooting, competition shooting, etc...), and tailor your AR to meet YOUR needs.

Good Luck!!

rob_s
12-15-10, 07:35
The "CHART" everyone is talking about is VERY outdated. It's reference value is only to learn what some of the important factors are for manufacturing, testing and materials. DON"T get too hung up about where particular companies are ranked on this chart. There have been a lot of changes since the data was complied! Most of these companies are on their 4th or more versions of ARs now!

While I agree with your sentiments, and am very glad to finally see someone reference the E of F over the Chart itself, I'd be interested to know what is so outdated. While it is physically impossible to track all of the changes all of the time, especially with the lesser brands ("those not required to hold to a standard, rarely do") but your post makes it sound like the whole thing is just woefully incorrect and I do not believe this is the case at all.

Perhaps it's my arrogance talking, but if someone was being completely impetuous and buying immediately, I don't know of a better resource for picking a first carbine. To be sure, becoming an informed consumer is better, but I don't think the information on the Chart is so outdated that someone's purchase based on it would be a bad one.

g5m
12-15-10, 07:46
There is some excellent recomendations here! I am relatively new to the AR platform and just bought my first, which is a Daniel Defense DDM4v2. Here are a couple of thoughts from someone that was recently "in your shoes":

Good Luck!!

Not trying to be argumentative here, but do you have any specifics in mind as to errors in the chart?

MacA
12-15-10, 08:06
While I agree with your sentiments, and am very glad to finally see someone reference the E of F over the Chart itself, I'd be interested to know what is so outdated. While it is physically impossible to track all of the changes all of the time, especially with the lesser brands ("those not required to hold to a standard, rarely do") but your post makes it sound like the whole thing is just woefully incorrect and I do not believe this is the case at all.

Perhaps it's my arrogance talking, but if someone was being completely impetuous and buying immediately, I don't know of a better resource for picking a first carbine. To be sure, becoming an informed consumer is better, but I don't think the information on the Chart is so outdated that someone's purchase based on it would be a bad one.

The chart is based off of data compiled on one (1) specific AR per manufacturer that was being built during that specific time period (early 2007?). A lot has changed and continues to change. Can you say that each of these manufacturers are still building those specific ARs exactly the same today? I contacted Bushmaster recently when I was looking and found that they do shot peen their bolts. They also offer mil spec AND commercial spec extension tubes. Additionally, the Daniel Defense AR listed is one of their basic early models. There have been 5 (?) versions produced since this chart was published. Too many people just look at the chart as a way to rank manufacturers. My advice above was to use the chart to see what manufacturing, materials and testing features are important and do your own research to fill in your own chart for the specific weapons you are interested in. The chart is an excellent tool....IF....used properly!

If the OP is considering ONLY the specific ARs defined in "The Chart" then baseing his decision completely on this information is low risk!

UPDATE: Holy crap Rob, I just realized I was "talking" with you! I used your chart extensively. Not only to see what is important, but it gave me good reference points on what to read and learn about. AND I really appreciate the guide and the time it took you to compile the information! But I still believe it is being used incorrectly. Too many people on this forum and on other forums only reference the chart when they are slamming specific manufacturers. In my opinion that is not a fair assessment. I hope you can update the chart, but keeping it current will be a daunting task to say the least!!

zombie killer
12-15-10, 08:49
Know what your primary reason is for owning an AR (home defense, occassional range shooting, competition shooting, etc...), and tailor your AR to meet YOUR needs.

This.

This will be your rifle, know what YOU want it to do. I built my first and only, from the ground up. And at this point I have my dream rifle. But trust me, if you shoot it, you will never be satisfied. You will always want to try something new.

As far as quality get yourself a BCM built lower with a Magpul stock. And buy the upper that fits your needs. Have fun, be safe.

Jscrilla21
12-15-10, 10:19
Love Daniel defense but my personal choice is definitely BCM great customer service and quality.

GLOCKMASTER
12-15-10, 17:43
This question, in many different forms, has been beaten to death here.Please take the time to look through previous threads discussing the quality of rifles.