PDA

View Full Version : BCM 14.5” middy questions

Chris17404
12-15-10, 06:58
Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing my first AR. I’d like something relatively light, maneuverable, and utterly reliable. I have some questions about the BCM 14.5” middy:

1. Would you recommend this upper for someone’s first (and possibly only) AR rifle? Why, or why not?

2. What permanently-attached muzzle device would you recommend? I’m primarily interested in flash suppression, and not really any breaks or compensators.

3. Can this upper reliably shoot all kinds of ammunition, from high-quality defensive ammo to low-powered cheap stuff?

4. How does the shooting characteristics and reliability of this upper compare to a BCM 16” middy using the same muzzle device and buffer combo?

5. Would this upper work well with the Vltor A5 stock kit? Or would you recommend a standard carbine receiver extension? If going with a standard carbine receiver extension, what buffer weight would you suggest?

6. What else can you tell me about these uppers, and what other issues and/or decisions should I be aware of regarding this upper?

7. Can BCM install any rail system they have in stock onto this upper when I order it?

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Korgs130
12-15-10, 08:11
1. Would you recommend this upper for someone’s first (and possibly only) AR rifle? Why, or why not?

I was in your position last summer. I ended up getting the BCM 14.5 Midlength for my one and only AR and I have zero regrets. BCM offers outstanding quality at a fair price. Through in the BCM BCG and charging handle for an extra $135 and you have a great deal.

2. What permanently-attached muzzle device would you recommend? I’m primarily interested in flash suppression, and not really any breaks or compensators.

I went with the A2X permed from BCM. Nothing fancy I know, but it fits my needs. One thing to consider is the 16" Middy if you think you might want to try different muzzle devices. Lots of folks recommend the 16" for a "first AR" and it makes sense. Personally, I knew I wanted the 14.5 so I got what I wanted the first time. I have had no problems with the inability to easily swap muzzle devices.

7. Can BCM install any rail system they have in stock onto this upper when I order it?

What you see on the BCM website under 14.5 Uppers is what is available. A side from the drop down menu for muzzle devices and adding the BCG, they don't offer customization.

runswithguns
12-15-10, 10:50
Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing my first AR. I’d like something relatively light, maneuverable, and utterly reliable. I have some questions about the BCM 14.5” middy:

3. Can this upper reliably shoot all kinds of ammunition, from high-quality defensive ammo to low-powered cheap stuff?

4. How does the shooting characteristics and reliability of this upper compare to a BCM 16” middy using the same muzzle device and buffer combo?

5. Would this upper work well with the Vltor A5 stock kit? Or would you recommend a standard carbine receiver extension? If going with a standard carbine receiver extension, what buffer weight would you suggest?

6. What else can you tell me about these uppers, and what other issues and/or decisions should I be aware of regarding this upper?

Thanks for your time.

Chris

1. I would recommend a 16" gun for a starter. That way, you would be able to try different compensators, brakes, hiders, etc...I have a 14.5 and a 16" rifle, I started off with the 16" because I wanted to have this as my "project" gun (trying different pieces and parts on it).

2. On my 14.5 BCM Middy, I run a Battlecomp 1.5, love their product.

3. I have shot cheap crap to what I consider good stuff, and reloads through both of my rifles, just make sure to clean them when you are done shooting.

4. can't answer that ?, sorry.

5. can't answer that one either, sorry.

6. Uppers are a great price, great quality, and great service. I love mine and bought the BCG with it and a Gunfighter Charging handle (medium latch). I have no complaints.

7. I believe so, just email them and ask. (I tried calling for mine, but would always get no answer. I emailed them and got a response right away).

Hope this helps.

CC556
12-15-10, 10:52
Unless you have an overriding need for a 14.5" gun I'd take the 16" for a first AR as well. As has been said, it's so much easier to swap stuff around as you experiment to see what you like if you don't have a permanently attached muzzle device.

Eric D.
12-15-10, 10:53
Excellent choice. Its a solid platform to start with and it won't let you down. I would strongly consider the 16" bbl just in case you ever want to change muzzle devices.

1. Would you recommend this upper for someone’s first (and possibly only) AR rifle? Why, or why not?Chris

It will shoot any ammo you want.

3. Can this upper reliably shoot all kinds of ammunition, from high-quality defensive ammo to low-powered cheap stuff?Chris

I don't see why it wouldn't, keep in mind the RE goes on the lower receiver. Start with an H buffer. It helps to have an assortment so you can fine tune your rifle.

5. Would this upper work well with the Vltor A5 stock kit? Or would you recommend a standard carbine receiver extension? If going with a standard carbine receiver extension, what buffer weight would you suggest?Chris

They don't do customization, but they do have uppers with rails already installed.

7. Can BCM install any rail system they have in stock onto this upper when I order it?Chris

Spiffums
12-15-10, 11:01
Hi all,

YES! It will end up saving you money in the long run if you want as short a gun as you can get without the NFA route.

Battle Comp all the way.

So far mine hasn't had any trouble with what I have ran in it. Not a huge sample but still no problems with mine.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Answers to what I have personal experience with in bold above. Over all I love mine and would recommend it to anyone.

Yoseff
12-15-10, 11:28
Runswithguns

I have a question, I see your into 3 gun, how would you compare the 14.5 to 16 out to 300 - 400 yards in a 3 gun comp from your personal experience?

runswithguns
12-15-10, 11:37
Runswithguns

I have a question, I see your into 3 gun, how would you compare the 14.5 to 16 out to 300 - 400 yards in a 3 gun comp from your personal experience?

Well, since I just built the 14.5 and have only shot with it a little over a month, I can give you a limited response. I built this rifle for 4-500 yards. I have yet to use it in a three gun competition, but next year it will be used and abused. Sorry I can't give you much further info. I used a 16 inch at my last competition, and it did wonders at 380 yards :).

Vegas
12-15-10, 14:39
Runswithguns

I have often wondered the same thing, how much difference that 1.5inches makes in accuracy over long distances. I have yet to buy the upper for my first AR also and hadn't considered the 14.5.

thermocafe
12-26-10, 15:39
I don't mean to necropost, but your #2 and the replies jumped out at me, as I've been doing research on this very topic for my own upcoming acquisition.

For your stated goal of flash suppression, the Battlecomp would be a dismal waste of money. Just do a search on this site. I've been doing my own investigations and the general consensus, even among those who "KNOW" is that when it comes to flash suppression, the BattleComp is roughly equal (one person thought even not as good as) a plain old A2 flash hider.

For your needs being flash suppression, the Smith Vortex, the YHM Phantom series, or the Surefire are excellent options.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, as this site has lots of answers everywhere if you look, almost to the point that I never get to post because the answers are already out there.

It does worry me that there may be an "Air Jordan syndrome" starting to appear, ie: because prominent people who have very specific needs run a certain piece of equipment, then everyone else wants it too, even if it doesn't suit their needs.

BCM has a superlative reputation, and while they don't do customization, they do recommend ADCO for any work like this, and ADCO does offer any of those last I checked. The 16" midlength is the agreed upon do-it-all for an individual such as yourself.

Just make sure you research, because there's loads of info on this site and it'd be a shame for you to get something that doesn't fit your needs, just because you want to look cool for the big kids on the playground.