PDA

View Full Version : putting together sight assembly on an a2 upper

macddesign
08-14-07, 00:14
I just got stripped a2 upper and need instructions on installing the rear sight assembley could some one direct me to a link or post some sort of instructions on this thank you.

Robb Jensen
08-14-07, 06:37
The A2 rear sight can be a total PITA, it's not one of those things easily explained because of the parts count. An A2 rear sight elevation spring tool makes it a lot easier to assemble it. I don't know of any online instructions on how to do it.

We took one and part and reassembled it probably 10 times at armorers class.

-Wes-
08-14-07, 15:00
When it came time for me to put one together I don't think I had any luck finding a guide either.
Here's the A2 sight area from a larger IPB picture I had on my hardrive:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2822/a2ipbcx5.jpg

I think I lost at least one "ball bearing" detent on my first attempt. I was in a cluttered workshop though. I've heard someone joke around about climbing into bed and getting under the covers to help prevent losing flying parts. It may take a couple attempts to wiggle the elevation dial over the detent while holding the detent down, I think I used an X-acto blade or my Benchmade.

The rear sight assy tool would definetly save some hair pulling, if this is a one-time assembly though, not sure if it'd be worth it to purchase one.

If it doesn't go in on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd attempt...just go get a drink and come back it usually goes right in after taking a break.

Good luck.

macddesign
08-14-07, 16:48
I atemted it before your little diagram there and finished with extra parts and a wiggly sight but after your digram got it. this thing is a much bigger PITA than I ever imagined it being I think after all the assembly disassembly and yet another assembly and disassembly it took almost twice as long as my first stripped lower to put together. Thanks -Wes-:D