PDA

View Full Version : 16" Midlength with 12" FF Rail

Neeglik
08-05-06, 09:34
Looking for any input from guys who have this setup. I like the idea of covering so much of the barrel covered with rail, but not sure how it handles and balances. With a Larue 12.0 will it be significantly more heavy (or unbalanced) than a 9.0 with a FSB?

Oh yeah, the barrel is going to be a govt. profile BCM barrel.

If you have pics of your setup, that would be cool too.

Thanks...

Stickman
08-05-06, 13:21
You can always go with a Daniel Defense rail to keep the weight down. Here is my 16" midlength WOA barrel in the DD 12.0 Lite rail. Its got a nice balance and feel.

It still needs BUIS, and is a work in progress, but its getting close to completion. :)

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/961/intermediary3stickco9.jpg

Hoplophile
08-05-06, 13:43
Check out my thread in teh custom build forum titled "MUR came in today"

I still need to add a couple parts so it hasn't been to the range yet but I'm surprised how well it handles. You start hanging a bunch of crap off the rails and that can change but so far so good. The barrel I used is a medium profile so it's even heavier than one with a govt profile like you're doing.

Neeglik
08-06-06, 11:02
Thanks guys. Do either of you know which weighs more: FSB or gas block + front BUIS?

Thanks again!

Hoplophile
08-06-06, 11:19
Thanks guys. Do either of you know which weighs more: FSB or gas block + front BUIS?

Thanks again!
I don't know if any combination of gas block and front BUIS will be less than the normal FSB, but I know that some gas blocks and some BUIS weigh more than others. A really compact gas block like a KAC or PRI should keep weight of that part down. I don't know the weights of any of the BUIS.

knightsar
08-09-06, 15:31
Just finished my rifle last week. It has a White Oak Recon mid length 16" barrel with a 12" Larue RAS and a KAC SR-15 lower. Don't have any optics on it yet but I can tell you it has great balance. Put a Troy flip up on the front and a Matech on the rear and done some shooting to set the BUIS. Feels and looks great. If I have time today I may get some pic's for you.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4104/dsc00454largefr1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

rob_s
08-09-06, 15:53
I built a 14.5" M4 barrel with Bilock and Larue 12.0 and it was damn heavy. That may be in part to the Magpul M93B stock on it, but it was overall a heavy gun.

I believe that the shaved FSB+Troy sight I have on my current rifle is lighter than the FSB alone.

The one on top is the one I'm talking about
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/204150/1577979outdoortrio.jpg

matt7184
08-09-06, 16:11
I have a Rifle length YHM LW rail on my 16" Govt Profile midlength (5C2 on the end and PRI sight on top). I prefer lighter guns with a weight balance biased towards the rear. It is more front heavy than I like. With a 10" rail it may balance out better.

9DivDoc
08-09-06, 16:57
Got a couple of BCM barrels in 12.0 LRTs...one 16" the other 14.7 using the bird cage as perm attached..

For me the Govt Profile with the LRT 12.0 is a little front end heavy...

(I've been blown up two or three times...crashed motorcyles two or three times
had football and judo injuries...plus blew out a couple of discs falling off moving train cars and one roof :) so do to pain I prefer the lighter stuff these days...

Add the A2 stock and it balances out a bit better...but overall wt is more...

Had Randal Rausch re-profile the two barrels down to his Lt. Wt. version...

The 14.7 even with the 12.0 LRT rail is just about perfect.. balance wise with
the LMT Sopmod...Paul's (BCMs) light wt DD might make it even more perfect...

Running an Aimpoint in a LRT Cantilever mount...but plans to shift to the new
ACOG 3X compact or 2X compact

Have a Troy BUIS but dont feel the need for one for the kind of shooting on our acerage ...coyotes,coons,possums,fox, main garden and livestock tangos round here.

Main sight goes down...it's back in the house and grab another'n off the rack
Shotgun,10/22 mag,10/22 LR,ARs available...

Looking into a 6.8 and 6.5 grendel....sometime this years...Lord willing..

I will use either the DD or LRT forends on these as well...dont know which one
is tougher...have to give them to Kev and see which one twists easier....(snicker)

CapnCrunch
08-10-06, 01:28
The Troy front sight weighs 1.5 oz per my new postal scale. A LaRue (which is one of the heavier blocks because of the length) gasblock is 2.9 oz. That combo is 4.4 oz total. The only FSB I have on hand is an M16A2 one (non-'F' height), but it's 5.5 oz. 1.1 oz lighter for that combo. When the VLTOR block arrives, I'll let you know how that fits into the comparo.

As to what I think about 16" barrels and 12.0 HGs? I love the combination, and think it's hard to beat for a GP gun where you might end up needing all of that railspace for your gear.

Hoplophile
08-10-06, 09:59
The Troy front sight weighs 1.5 oz per my new postal scale. A LaRue (which is one of the heavier blocks because of the length) gasblock is 2.9 oz. That combo is 4.4 oz total. The only FSB I have on hand is an M16A2 one (non-'F' height), but it's 5.5 oz. 1.1 oz lighter for that combo. Too bad the added handguard length weighs more than 1.1 oz...

Regardless of a slight weight increase, I really like the longer handguards.

sdcromer
08-11-06, 19:11
Stickman,

What kind of stock is that?

Stickman
08-11-06, 21:46
Stickman,

What kind of stock is that?

Its the Magpul CTR. I need to get some more pics as I've finally got the BUIS on it.

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5729/img63061stickwy1.jpg

VA_Dinger
08-12-06, 07:52
The Troy front sight weighs 1.5 oz per my new postal scale. A LaRue (which is one of the heavier blocks because of the length) gasblock is 2.9 oz. That combo is 4.4 oz total. The only FSB I have on hand is an M16A2 one (non-'F' height), but it's 5.5 oz. 1.1 oz lighter for that combo. When the VLTOR block arrives, I'll let you know how that fits into the comparo.

As to what I think about 16" barrels and 12.0 HGs? I love the combination, and think it's hard to beat for a GP gun where you might end up needing all of that railspace for your gear.

Thanks for the heads up.

It's always nice to have a guy around who have at least one of everything.

.......Plus a postal scale. :D

CapnCrunch
08-15-06, 02:42
I've been sitting on my rump too long and haven't even sent the money for the darn VLTOR block yet. Sorry about that guys. If I get the money out today I might see it by the weekend.

RyanB
08-15-06, 02:48
Unless you have a compelling reason for choosing such a long rail, I would recommend against it. The balance (not the weight) of such a combination is FUBAR. I used to shoot an MRP with a 16" barrel and it wore on me badly. The ONE nice thing I remember about that combination is that I could stand back from a rest, branch, window or any other kind of cover and still rest the rail.

Neeglik
08-15-06, 10:02
I'm assuming that you're saying it's front heavy? Do you know where your balance point was?

RyanB
08-15-06, 15:17
Balance point was a couple inches too far forward (I like the rifle to balance immediately forward of the magazine). That was with the M93, and that made for a heavy rifle. With the VLTOR, the balance point was another inch or so forward. It didn't help that my M68 was over the chamber (where I like it) and I had covers on my rails and a Troy front sight.

knightsar
08-18-06, 11:10
Finished

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3034/kacreconmediumjr4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SethB
08-22-06, 19:18
Noveske gas block is reported at 1.4 oz.

It is the same as the VLTOR.

Given that the Troy sight weighs 1.5 oz., you are looking at a combo that runs 2.9 oz. plus approx 1 oz. for an extra inch of rail for a total weight savings of 1.6 oz. Not much, but I am of the mid that every little bit counts. With a few minor tweaks it would be possible to remove a half pound off of an M4 without a significant change in configuration.

gene
08-24-06, 17:32
I have a 16” upper with a Larue 13.2, a Surefire 900, and a MagPul M93b. It might be a little front heavy, but I don’t find it uncomfortable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/gener/DSC02617.jpg

I do plan on replacing the Magpul M93b with a CTR in the future, and I have moved the M900 out a little farther forward.