PDA

View Full Version : 2009 model Armalite M-15a4cb??

BadKarma375
12-15-10, 20:44
Just put this "middy" on layaway. I really like this rifle, just wondering if there was anything that I needed to know about the 2009 version. Thanks guys!!

GermanSynergy
12-15-10, 20:49
No offense intended, but see if you can get your money back and put it towards a BCM, DD or Colt 6920.

BadKarma375
12-15-10, 21:21
No offense taken, gonna go ahead with this one, but how can a person have just one?? I plan on an assortment of different brands!! They're like cookies, who the hell can eat just one?? LOL

Iraqgunz
12-16-10, 01:19
So what exactly do you want us to say? You are getting an Armalite that has a 1/9 barrel, more than linkely is overgassed and may or may not have a 5.56 chamber. For what you are paying for it, you can get a good AR. Since you are a new member I encourage you to do some reading here and then think about your choice.

No offense taken, gonna go ahead with this one, but how can a person have just one?? I plan on an assortment of different brands!! They're like cookies, who the hell can eat just one?? LOL

OTO27
12-16-10, 02:18
To the OP, if you dont mind me asking, how much are you paying for that rifle? You can PM if you'd like. If it makes you feel better, although not a top tier manufacturer I would not turn down an Armalite that was offered to me at a good price. Or any rifle for that matter.. hehe

Quentin
12-16-10, 02:23
BK, how much will you be paying for the rifle? As said above there are better choices unless you just have to have a 1:9" twist midlength - in that case ArmaLite probably is the best one available.

Actually I have the same upper that's on the M15A4CB and it has functioned well. It also is a May 2009 model that I bought just as the Obama panic buying was dying down. (At the time BCMs and many others were still hard to get.) I've had no trouble with it other than having to replace the front sight post with a 0.04" taller post because it doesn't have the F-marked FSB that flat tops should have. The HBAR is nose heavy too.

If you look at the M4 Chart (see the stickies above) ArmaLite comes in at the middle of the pack, a lot of important details aren't present like HP/MPI barrels and bolt. But the barrel is made of milspec steel and the chamber is 5.56. A BCM or Daniel Defense BCG solves many of the worst problems.

With all that said I still like the upper and it shoots anything I put in it. But recently I decided to build a better AR so bought a stripped ArmaLite lower to marry with this upper (U15A4CB) and ordered a Daniel Defense LW 16" upper to put on my S&W lower. You still have a chance to get something better on the first try.

msstate56
12-16-10, 02:37
Take the advice that many in your position have from this site. Get your money back, and spend it on a Daniel Defense or BCM. Both are much better rifles, and probably won't cost you much (if any) more. Then again, if your only purpose for the rifle is shooting dirt clods and beer cans, it really doesn't matter what you get.

SpankMonkey
12-16-10, 04:04
OP buy what you want. It's a free country. Enjoy your rifle.

5pins
12-16-10, 07:43
Yes he can buy whatever he wants. However since people are offering good advice and he actually has not bought it yet, why not research his options.

BadKarma375
12-16-10, 16:16
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your help. I'm kinda stuck with this particular rifle as of right now, under $750 and my girl is getting an engagement ring for x-mas. I thought it was a pretty good deal so I jumped on it. I plan on building a top tier rifle after the first of the year, But I just couldn't find much info on the particular year model.

GermanSynergy
12-16-10, 20:00
Congrats on getting engaged. Surely this calls for you to pick up a BCM carbine for the bride to be? :D

Trajan
12-16-10, 20:36
Thanks guys, I appreciate all your help. I'm kinda stuck with this particular rifle as of right now, under $750 and my girl is getting an engagement ring for x-mas. I thought it was a pretty good deal so I jumped on it. I plan on building a top tier rifle after the first of the year, But I just couldn't find much info on the particular year model.

If you already planned on building another rifle, why waste money on this? If you had to put it on layaway, you probably won't have it until after the first anyway. Get your money back and use it for an aimpoint.