PDA

View Full Version : BCG questions

swampthing
12-16-10, 00:36
Long time lurker and new to black rifle ownership.

I bought a DD upper but didn't include a BCG and I'm not really sure why I didn't. Can I put any new BCG in there and just go or do I have to do some measurement?

durus5995
12-16-10, 00:54
Yes you can put any BCG in there. When looking at BCGs make sure that the gas key is properly staked down so it doesnt come loose. That is one of the most important part. You also might want to find one that is also chrome lined so its a little easier for cleaning. You already have a great upper and I know a lot of guys like Bravo Company carriers because they have all the bells and whistles and they do not cost to much.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

Iraqgunz
12-16-10, 01:07
I would probably go with a DD BCG, although the BCM would be good as well. I use BCM stuf for most of my builds. You should have it properly headspaced although chances are you will be fine.

I bought a DD upper but didn't include a BCG and I'm not really sure why I didn't. Can I put any new BCG in there and just go or do I have to do some measurement?

Dirtyboy333
12-16-10, 01:15

Any quality BCG should be fine....u could have a head spacing problem but its VERY unlikely since u bought a DD upper and barrel extension. I bought a BCM BCG for my DD upper and headspacing is fine.....i have also thrown that BCM BCG in a cheap Doublestar upper and it also worked and cycled great. ! thing to remember though, dont cheap out on your BCG because there are major differences between quality BCG's and junk BCG's and it is prolly the most stressed part of the gun. Just bc the cheap BCG works and is headspaced correctly doesn't mean that its at all going to last for you... Get a BCG that is individually HP/MPI tested, has black extractor insert and O-ring, properly staked, carpenter 158 tool steel, shot peened etc.....With that said your really not goin to pay anymore for a quality BCG compared with an inferior BCG. So theres no reason to buy anything but a BCM, DD, LMT etc......now this is just for standard bcg's as i don't have any experience with the so called "specialty bcg's"

edit: sorry Gunz i was writing when u posted

swampthing
12-16-10, 02:58
Thanks for the answers. I was going to get a quality BCG, just didn't know if it was "plug and play" and searching for the answer wasn't working for me.

Nevermiss
12-16-10, 08:44
I've build a few lowers and I am building my first upper (300 BLK).

I also just purchased a Daniel Defense upper and I went with a BCM Bolt Carrier Group.

I was lookiing around and ordered mine from Grant.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCG-BCM

He had it in stock, was priced well and it should arrive today.

fivefivesix
12-16-10, 12:59
i like to keep things matched so i would go with a dd bcg. the fit and finish is awesome. but you cant go wrong with bcm as well.
spikes or failzero are a decent optionbut are pricey. and ive found that if you keep your bcg oiled or greased the non coated bcg are just as good as the nb coated ones.

A10Burrp
12-16-10, 14:01
I got my BCM BCG last night along with my BCM upper. One word- quality

Karcas
12-16-10, 14:45
I picked up a BCM 16" middy upper last week. When I ordered it I didn't buy the BCG because I was thinking of going with a FailZero BCG at the time. Decided the FZ was overkill (for this one) so I ordered a BCM BCG and BCM lower from Grant... got it shortly after. Everything looks great!

Now I have 800rds on the way to break it in a little. Hopefully some of this snow goes away soon. My area got 22" last Saturday and the area I shoot sounds to have gotten a little more!

Dirtyboy333
12-16-10, 16:26
i like to keep things matched so i would go with a dd bcg. the fit and finish is awesome. but you cant go wrong with bcm as well.
spikes or failzero are a decent optionbut are pricey. and ive found that if you keep your bcg oiled or greased the non coated bcg are just as good as the nb coated ones.

Yeah, honestly i would go with the DD BCG also just to keep it matched......I originally bought My BCM BCG for a back up to my cheaper AR and then i started building my DD so i just used the BCM since i already had it.....that being said i am going to buy a DD BCG soon but think i'll just keep it new and as a back up since i already have fired rounds through the BCM bcg. idk

fdxpilot
12-16-10, 17:05

I'm in the same boat. I bought a DD upper from smartgunner but no BCG or CH. I went with BCM's FA BCG and one of their Gunfighter Mod4 charging handles. I'm still waiting on the upper, but I'm confident that these pieces, all from top vendors, will go together with no problems.

swampthing
12-16-10, 20:08
New upper arrived today and I was stoked til I opened it. Wrong upper. I ordered a DD BCG and CH to keep it simple for now. Hopefully I can get the right upper before too long, drop in the bCG and CH and have some fun.

DDgunslinger
12-16-10, 20:35
PK's did have a DD BCG at a good price alitte while back. I think they had them for about $15 cheaper than a BCM, so you may wanna check that out. However, like others have said you can't go wrong with BCM.

swampthing
12-18-10, 06:36
Another noob questions, but does it just drop in with the charging handle, or is there some other special way of installing?

Iraqgunz
12-18-10, 12:02
Do you have any experience with the AR at all? I highly suggest that you locate a copy of the operators manual which will also detail on how to disassemble the weapon. I would also look for local personnel or resources to help you.

I am pretty sure that if you Google reassembly of the M4 carbine or something like that you will see how it's done. Even check Youtube.

Another noob questions, but does it just drop in with the charging handle, or is there some other special way of installing?

swampthing
12-18-10, 14:33
I took a carbine course two years ago. I honestly have never looked at a manual. It's easier for me to see and do versus just read from a book - so when everything gets here I'll spend some time on it.

I asked because most of the videos I found are geared towards people who have a bit of experience with the this platform. It was a bit difficult to follow when they slap these together and go. I'm probably just looking at the wrong vids though.

Also, I just wanted to make sure there's nothing special that needs to be done before putting this together. Perhaps some safety item, or some unwritten rule (like using hairspray to install grips on bike handlebars)

redfernsoljah
12-18-10, 14:53
try this to see if it helps explain it.

Youtube Vide M4 Takedown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61WKv720_Ow)

swampthing
12-18-10, 15:33
Yes, that helped, thank you. And thanks to all who posted in this thread.