PDA

View Full Version : EPIRB?

yellowfin
12-16-10, 09:50
Does anyone here have a personal EPIRB unit? I'm thinking about getting one for my wife for her work as she's on the road a lot often out of cell range. I had been pondering a satellite phone but don't know if we can afford that yet, so figured an EPIRB would be the next best thing. Is that right? What might work well for this application?

hatidua
12-17-10, 19:20
I have a variety of such devices and for what you describe, you may be best suited with a 'Spot' device (www.findmespot.com), which has a few customizable message functions as well as a dedicated button for calling in help from the authorities (SAR, etc). There's an annual fee, but it provides peace of mind.

Pick your product based on where it will be used. If I'm offshore and out of sight (or communication with) land, a 406-EPIRB is absolutely going to be on hand and registered to the vessel in question. On land, I typically have other products packed.

A batch of items to consider would be the ACR products dedicated to the type of environment you expect to be in (www.acrelectronics.com).

K.L. Davis
12-20-10, 22:36
I just spent a summer testing one of the SPOT units... for what you are describing, it may be a good choice - mostly because there really is not that much else to pick from.

My honest assessment of the SPOT is that having one for an emergency "on the road" device is where it really makes sense... The SPOT is a hybrid GPS and Sat Phone of sorts; it finds out where it is via conventional GPS, and relays than info via Sat Phone communications through a private service <== That service costs 100 bucks a year too.

The up side to the SPOT is that it is easy to use, has great battery life and offers the choice to send more than just a trouble message... you can send pre-programed messages to let folks know you are okay, or that you need non-emergency help. The ability to send an "I am okay, but will be later than expected" message to HH6 is perhaps the greatest breakthrough in comms to come about in my lifetime.

The down side to SPOT is that the GPS fix is at times more of an approximation, and I have had positions come up that were hundreds of yards off - but, for most SAR situations, no one will argue with that.

The comms with the Sat System are sketchy too... I lovingly refer to my SPOT unit as "spotty" - it uses the Globalstar L-Band satellite network and requires line-of-sight with one of the satellites. This is where you can run into problems, if you should decide to fall 35 feet from a ridge crest and land in a fashion that precludes walking around much... you want to make sure you fall on the side that has exposure to one of the satellites.

Finally, the SPOT is a simplex device... meaning that it talks to satellites, but they don't talk back; so there is no confirmation that a message was successfully sent.

Okay... so with all of that, I still think they are a good device, especially for what you have in mind. The truth is that the things that I don't like about the SPOT really don't happen that often... they are the exception, rather than the rule. But they still can happen.

A true Personal Locater Beacon is (imho) much more reliable, but is also kind of comparing apples to handgrenades... I did the SAR thing for a long time, I have an ACR SARLink 406 and will never get rid of it (or whatever replaces it). But again, it serves a different purpose.

TunaFisherman
10-20-11, 20:37
I just spent a summer testing one of the SPOT units... for what you are describing, it may be a good choice - mostly because there really is not that much else to pick from.

My honest assessment of the SPOT is that having one for an emergency "on the road" device is where it really makes sense... The SPOT is a hybrid GPS and Sat Phone of sorts; it finds out where it is via conventional GPS, and relays than info via Sat Phone communications through a private service <== That service costs 100 bucks a year too.

The up side to the SPOT is that it is easy to use, has great battery life and offers the choice to send more than just a trouble message... you can send pre-programed messages to let folks know you are okay, or that you need non-emergency help. The ability to send an "I am okay, but will be later than expected" message to HH6 is perhaps the greatest breakthrough in comms to come about in my lifetime.

The down side to SPOT is that the GPS fix is at times more of an approximation, and I have had positions come up that were hundreds of yards off - but, for most SAR situations, no one will argue with that.

The comms with the Sat System are sketchy too... I lovingly refer to my SPOT unit as "spotty" - it uses the Globalstar L-Band satellite network and requires line-of-sight with one of the satellites. This is where you can run into problems, if you should decide to fall 35 feet from a ridge crest and land in a fashion that precludes walking around much... you want to make sure you fall on the side that has exposure to one of the satellites.

Finally, the SPOT is a simplex device... meaning that it talks to satellites, but they don't talk back; so there is no confirmation that a message was successfully sent.

Okay... so with all of that, I still think they are a good device, especially for what you have in mind. The truth is that the things that I don't like about the SPOT really don't happen that often... they are the exception, rather than the rule. But they still can happen.

A true Personal Locater Beacon is (imho) much more reliable, but is also kind of comparing apples to handgrenades... I did the SAR thing for a long time, I have an ACR SARLink 406 and will never get rid of it (or whatever replaces it). But again, it serves a different purpose.

Thanks for the info. We have three Basic w/ tracker. Been using them the last year or so. I used mine last to track 3 offshore trips leaving from PV Mexico. Family liked that they could check on us when ever they wanted. The boats we use are also equipped with EPIRB. VHF w/ DCS mounted and handheld (hh have GPS). Standard Horizion

NinjaMedic
10-23-11, 00:40
I have an AN/PRC-149 that fulfills this function although it is heavier than the plastic housing commercial units. Nice to have a backup if something goes really wrong.

RogerinTPA
10-23-11, 03:39

I have the same PLB in my flight bag and registered with the CSAR folks over here. It's a great piece of kit to have.

czydj
10-23-11, 08:54
I dropped SPOT because of the cost. Basic service - send alerts and 911 calls only is $99/yr. Add in the web portal at $50/yr and GEOS member rescue insurance at $13/yr it becomes pretty expensive.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=110

Paying this every year for multiple years makes a dedicated PLB look cheap.

JohnnyC
10-23-11, 16:30
IMO having a true PLB capable of transmitting on 406 MHz as well as 121.5 MHz locator is the way to go.

Based on my understanding of the SPOT flingdinger, you're only transmitting on L-Band which will only function within LoS. This is the only mode available. If their website is correct, 114 minute orbit of the satellite may mean that your signal doesn't even get picked up for almost 2 hours after the accident. I'm still not entirely sure if they advertise full coverage at all times through multiple satellites, or the 114 minute orbit is the worst case scenario.

With a true PLB or EPIRB you get the benefit of 406 MHz digital for LoS SAT linkup, as well as 121.5 which will ping every airliner and anyone receiving on guard within 150 miles. That couple with triangulation once people are aware and receiving your signal seems like it would mean better response time and a larger audience aware of your situation.

Please correct any mistakes I may have made. This is just what I remember from talking to my father. He did 30 years in USAF as a fighter pilot with lots of SAR experience. If I'm mis-paraphrasing him let me know.

kmrtnsn
10-23-11, 18:19
Just remember, the response one gets from the use of an EPIRB can be quite expensive, and you'll likely be on the hook for a large part of the bill (think major SAR rollout with planes and helicopters). These are not the devices to use for a flat tire on a dark road. A cell phone and a vehicle with On-Star might be a bit more appropriate.

yellowfin
10-26-11, 13:26
OnStar is essentially a Verizon cell phone, so if you don't have cell signal you're just as out of luck. I worked for VZW for a while and we had a number of people with it we helped.