PDA

View Full Version : ADM Mount fastening question

SA80Dan
12-16-10, 13:09
Just curious, how do you guys with ADM mounts affix them?

Due to the hex adjusting nut system, I invariably find that the levers feel either a little too loose, but remove real easy, or a little too tight (and sometimes require hooking with a bit of paracord or something to get off).

Also....when you close the lever on the mount, do you leave it pressed right against the mount, or do you back it off a bit until it engages the stop lever which stops it backing off any further?

I have opted for the slightly too tight approach, and after I once noticed a lever slightly walk back towards the stop, nowadays I tend to pull the lever back a bit firm against the stop.

Just curious what others do.

ucrt
12-16-10, 14:22

I put a 7/32" OD X 1/16" Buna O-Ring under the hex head to give it a little cushion when tightening. Doing so, you have to be careful to align the flats of the nut up with the flats of the hole before you tighten. The O-Ring knocks that "hard" edge off of tightening the lever that feels like you're fixing to break it. Works great.

When the lever feels loose and you tighten the nut up one more flat, the o-ring gives the lever a little springiness-not much but just enough to feel secure. I have taken the T-1 off and reinstalled it several time with no POI change.

I put grease under the cam end of the lever to lube it when it is tight. Once I lock the lever down, I pull it up against the catch, too. I generally have to use a shirt tail, rag, paracord, or whatever to pull the lever up. I can do it with my fingers if I have to but it is hard.

ccoker
12-16-10, 15:23
I get mine tight enough that I have to use the tail end of my strap to open the lever

bp7178
12-16-10, 21:01
Ironically, Larue beverage entry tools can help you remove to tight clamps on ADM mounts.

ADM has changed the mount to an 8 posistion design. If you buy from them, this is what you should receive, but call to make sure.

I would error on the side of too tight. However, as long as you don't have a zero shift you should be good to go.

canucklehead
12-16-10, 22:17
It is a little odd... one of the (very) few drawbacks of their system. I'm lucky though, that 3 out of 4 of my uppers are tight right in the sweet spot. On the other one, I too opt for 'too tight' instead of too loose.

shootist~
12-16-10, 22:18
Larue beverage entry tool

I found this solution as well. Look around and see if you have anything that will add a little leverage. It does not take much.

bp7178
12-16-10, 23:06
I had one mount that was a bit too tight, and the other that was a bit loose. I took them apart and switched their positions on the mount and it really made them balanced, right in the sweet spot.

Just an idea for guys stuck with the 6 posistion.

Quib
12-17-10, 12:21

I put a 7/32" OD X 1/16" Buna O-Ring under the hex head to give it a little cushion when tightening. Doing so, you have to be careful to align the flats of the nut up with the flats of the hole before you tighten. The O-Ring knocks that "hard" edge off of tightening the lever that feels like you're fixing to break it. Works great.

When the lever feels loose and you tighten the nut up one more flat, the o-ring gives the lever a little springiness-not much but just enough to feel secure. I have taken the T-1 off and reinstalled it several time with no POI change.

I put grease under the cam end of the lever to lube it when it is tight. Once I lock the lever down, I pull it up against the catch, too. I generally have to use a shirt tail, rag, paracord, or whatever to pull the lever up. I can do it with my fingers if I have to but it is hard.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to look further into this.

To the OP's question: I adjust the locking lever on the tight side, and push it as far as it will go without backing it off against the safety latch.

I found that with the right leverage I can use my fingers to remove the optic mount, but have had on a few occasions resorted to using my sling for leverage.

ETA: I also lube the locking mechanism with CLP.

dunadan
12-17-10, 15:34
I called ADM, and they sent me a "fixed" mounting assembly to replace the QD setup... it removes if necessary with either a flat head screwdriver or a 7"16 end wrench...

SA80Dan
12-19-10, 08:18
Thanks for the responses...sounds like we all do the same. ucrt - interesting tactic, might have to give that a try.