PDA

View Full Version : FNP's

Mauser KAR98K
12-17-10, 16:12
Hey everyone.

I'm curious as to how the FNP pistols in .45 compare to the S&W M&P'sand HK's. I've searched the forum, but I haven't seen a post of anytype.

B52U
12-17-10, 19:43
I own the FNP40 which has been a great gun, no problems. I've handled the FNP45. They are a large gun, but very light weight and have good ergonomics. I considered one before getting the 40 back in early 2008, when the 45 was just coming out. Some report they are reliable, others have reported problems with some ammo causing jams due to the magazines being sensitive to longer than SAAMI spec cartridges (Mags have pretty tight tolerances). One other reported issue I've heard with some FNP45 tacticals is the pin on the trigger working its way out.

AngeredKabar
12-17-10, 23:10
I don't think the FNP-45 likes WWB.

P. Panda
12-22-10, 18:34
I've had an FNP 45 for about a year and a half and have been quite satisfied with it. It's digested ~1500 rounds at this point, indcluding PMC Bronze ,Fiocchi , Speer Lawman, and a few Speer Gold Dot +P rounds. No WWB tested. In all, other than a few FTE (stovepipes) within the first 50 rounds as it was being broken in, it has been flawless. Recoil is quite manageable, really doesn't feel like you're shooting a .45. The grips are rough textured, and after a lot of shooting w/o gloves can start to hurt a little. A little sanding gown of the grops though can soften the sharper grip texture points however.

Its a fairly big gun, but not by any stretch unmanageable. A bit squarish in design. Decent 3 dot sights, and quite accurate. Easy to disassemble and clean. When originally purchased I got the shooters pack with 3 mags (1 14 and 2 15 rounders and a dual mag pouch), and all in cost ~$600.

On the other hand, I just picked up an HK45 within the past week and have taken it to the range only once at this point. Paid ~$920, and it came with 2 10 round mags. In general, it has also been a pleasure to shoot. ~200 rounds so far with no issues. Once or twice the slide has not locked back upon last round fired, but I havent given the rails/internals a good cleaning out of the packing grease yet. Overall recoil is also not bad.

The gun feels slimmer than the FN, and the grips are superior in overall feel to the FNP. Also highly accurate. The sights are worse though; big three dots (this has been covered elsewhere). Trigger feel was fine - not as bad as others would have you believe. My trigger finger sometimes came in contact with the trigger guard/ tip of the mag release though (felt a little sharp) but I could readjust my grip a touch to avoid that.

My one real gripe with the gun is the low mag capacity - I can load 2 FNP mags with 30 rounds while it takes 3 mags for the HK. Hope of hopes HK comes out some day with at least a 12 rounder.

I was fully expecting after I shot them to really gravitate towards one or the other in a major way. Surprisingly, it was not easy to dismiss either one as inferior or tout one as the be all/ end all. Both were easy to shoot, low recoil, accurate, and comfortable. If money's an issue there's no shame in the FNP - you'll be pleased. The HK is however a more solid feeling weapon, more refined and balanced.

Good luck with your choice.

Best,
P.

Business_Casual
12-22-10, 18:47
Here's one of several threads:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23395

B_C

Mauser KAR98K
12-22-10, 19:23
Thanks, Panda!

I'm getting into the market for a hi-cap .45, and my choices are coming down to either the FNP or a M&P. I've tried on both, however the FNP was a 9mm, and the Smith felt good, though the spring was heavy to pull back. The FNP had a lighter action, and kinda had more of a 1911 feel, which I've been used too since I was 7--27 now. I'm just curious as to the ergonomics of the .45 version. 14+ rounds gives me the "brick" impression. Course, the USPs fit very comfortable in my guitar player hands.

Again, thanks.

P. Panda
12-22-10, 19:40
Thanks, Panda!

I'm getting into the market for a hi-cap .45, and my choices are coming down to either the FNP or a M&P. I've tried on both, however the FNP was a 9mm, and the Smith felt good, though the spring was heavy to pull back. The FNP had a lighter action, and kinda had more of a 1911 feel, which I've been used too since I was 7--27 now. I'm just curious as to the ergonomics of the .45 version. 14+ rounds gives me the "brick" impression. Course, the USPs fit very comfortable in my guitar player hands.

Again, thanks.

Sure - no problem. My path to the HK45 was via my P30L; just enjoy the hell outta that thing and looking for other ways to spread the HK goodness up and down the gun cabinet.

No doubt the FNP45 is pretty big, best thing to do is go hold one and get a sense of it. But it's a hoot, no regrets even compared to the more "refined" german gun sitting next to it.