PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Opinion on PMags.

Wormydog1724
12-17-10, 16:34
I have been shooting AR's for 5 years, and just started shooting in local matches (3 gun, practical rifle, action rifle) a year and a half ago. I have only ever used PMAGS and have never had a single issue with mine. Although for a test I did drop a loaded pmag from the second story of my house onto concrete to see what would happen, it split down the side and spewed most of the rounds out. The pmag was still operable when inserted into my weapon but holding the rounds out of the weapon was nearly impossible. Anyways I've never had real world issues with my pmags.

So today I go into a local gunshop that has a few AR's and a SIG 556 with a pmag in it on the wall. I ask the guy behind the counter if they sell pmags. He's a short stocky guy with an American flag tactical hat, 5.11 pants, and some patch on the back of the hat that I'm sure was vulgar and funny although I never got a chance to read it. He asked me why I wanted pmags, I stated because that is what I shoot with. He then asked why, I said because I like them and have never had a problem with them. He asked if I have ever been over seas and used one and I said no. He said there's your problem. Well I asked what his experience with them was and he said that he was in Afghanistan and was one of the first units to test them and said he dropped one from waist high and it split and spewed rounds. I said I had the same thing happen but from my second story window. He then said all he runs are HK metal mags and tried to sell a package of 10 regular metal mags to me (which were priced the same as a usual pmag). I declined. He then kept talking about 50 cals and silencers and 5 inch barrels on AR's and yada yada yada.

Now I'm no expert and don't pretend to be. I know what I know and I am eager to learn at any chance somebody has experience and knowledge of something that I don't.
So I am asking, for those you that have been overseas with pmags and have used them, what are your thoughts on them and what problems have you had?

This isn't a thread to bash pmags nor military. I've used pmags and never had a problem although I've never been to the desert with them. I respect all military and law enforcement. Gunshop know-it-all's I really don't care for because my experience has shown me that most just like to hear themselves talk.

(and he tried to tell me one AR was a complete Spike's Tactical AR when the upper was an LWRC piston upper.)

bp7178
12-17-10, 16:41
What's Your Opinion on PMags.

Best thing since sliced bread.

Its hard to take someone seriously when they tough the awesomeness of a 5" AR.

Not a slam against the military, god knows we need them, but not every one downrange was face shooting. I see the same thing with cops. The guy working nightwatch in a town of 300 people who has more "tactical" stories than a NYPD ESU platoon.

Eric D.
12-17-10, 16:41
That knuckle dragger probably fabricated the whole story. There are many people on this forum that have used pmags overseas without any issues. In fact, many prefer them to usgi mags. The only issue I've heard of is with the OD green ones being weaker than the other colors. IIRC magpul knows about this and is working it out.

seb5
12-17-10, 16:42
As a cop and a reservist that has deployed all my aluminum mags are stored. Sure they work but so do Pmags, with less trouble in my experience. I use Pmags for work. You might give the Tango Down mags a shot. I was given 3 and have used them a lot the last several months. Some trainers I trust told me I needed to try them.

GlockWRX
12-17-10, 16:44
He then said all he runs are HK metal mags and tried to sell a package of 10 regular metal mags to me (which were priced the same as a usual pmag).

Basically what the salesman said is that the mags he does not have suck, but the mags he does have are the best. If he had Pmags instead of HK mags and you asked for HK's, he would have said Pmags are the best.

It's like a Mad Lib. "(Mags I don't have) suck, you should buy (mags that I do have)."

Pmags are among the best you can get. Use them without fear.

BufordTJustice
12-17-10, 16:45
Typical my-way-or-the-highway gunshop bullshit. PMAGs are GTG. As are Lancers, Brownells mags w/ magpul follower, Tangodown, etc.

Ignore your boy in the gunshop. :rolleyes:

Keep using PMAGs with confidence, brother.

Wormydog1724
12-17-10, 16:53
Gunshop commandos just get me so riled up. I should have known better than to get pissy about it.

And the one I dropped from my 2nd story window was a green windowed pmag. After you say the green ones are the weakest, makes me wanna try it again with a black one. Nah I probably wont.

Artiz
12-17-10, 17:18
They are good to go, even tho we're limited/pinned to 5 rounds up here... :suicide:

He's probably the kind of guy who, instead of going straight to Pmags, says: New USGI mags WITH Magpul followers AND fresh springs are good to go... :sarcastic:

JasonM
12-17-10, 17:42
PMAGs are great (over here OR overseas).

HK mags are overpriced and overrated.

Find another gun shop!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-17-10, 18:39
Id say the majority of deployed Marines are rocking PMAGS, the majority of the shooting world is rocking PMAGS as well. Tell this fud spreader to eat shit.

Brian1/75
12-17-10, 18:56
1/75 went from H&Ks to P Mags a couple years ago. I've had quite a few H&Ks go bad and start misfeeding, not to mention they weigh a ton.

Thomas M-4
12-17-10, 19:18
I have a new HK mag the will not lock the bolt back on the last round.

RAM Engineer
12-17-10, 19:23
If they work in a gunstore, whatever they say is either a lie or misinformed.

13MPG
12-17-10, 19:49
Id say the majority of deployed Marines are rocking PMAGS, the majority of the shooting world is rocking PMAGS as well. Tell this fud spreader to eat shit.

I have never had an issue with PMags. I found a couple of the 1st ones a few months ago that were still loaded up and worked fine. I don’t use my gear as hard as a lot of people on this site do but I am very happy with the ones that I have.

MountainRaven
12-17-10, 19:55

It's always bad to overgeneralize.

:jester:

Artiz
12-17-10, 20:13

Well, just yesterday I heard the guy behind the counter try to sell throwing knives to a man for turkey hunting, IIRC he said you can cut it's wings off in flight... :sarcastic:

RAM Engineer
12-17-10, 20:16

That's true. I do know some very knowledgeable people who work at gun stores, both on this board and in person.

MountainRaven
12-17-10, 20:17
Well, just yesterday I heard the guy behind the counter try to sell throwing knives to a man for turkey hunting, IIRC he said you can cut it's wings off in flight... :sarcastic:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that guys who work at gun stores are the brightest crayons in the box (which includes me). But when I suggest that a customer might be better suited with a Glock than, say, a Taurus, I like to think that it isn't because I'm lying or misinformed.

;)

RogerinTPA
12-17-10, 20:20
Pmags are good to go. I have around 100 of them. For aluminum, get USGI mags with or install Magpul followers: NHMTG, D&H or Bravo Company, Okay or DSG Mags. DSG Mags with Magpul followers are $10.50 ea. I have a smattering of each except for Okay. They are all very reliable.

The problem with gun store employees is that they have no actual experience and just regurgitate what they heard, in the first person as if they know first hand.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-17-10, 21:17

Ive seen 2 gunstores in my travels with knowledgable staff: Jensen Arms in Colorado and RifleGear in Ca. The rest Ive been too.....well....ya.

MarkG
12-17-10, 21:33
The only thing plastic that should get near your rifle is a credit card! :D

RedHorseman
12-17-10, 21:52
IMO, as a dumb, gun-store employee, most of the firearms industry is full of shit. It is always a bad sign when you walk into a gun store and someone behind the counter is giving UNSOLICITED advice. That should be your clue to walk right back out.

heartbreakridge01
12-17-10, 21:53
ive had good luck with them!!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-17-10, 22:28
IMO, as a dumb, gun-store employee, most of the firearms industry is full of shit. It is always a bad sign when you walk into a gun store and someone behind the counter is giving UNSOLICITED advice. That should be your clue to walk right back out.

Thats generally a pretty good rule of thumb to shop by.