PDA

View Full Version : Custom 1911 Base Guns.

VA_Dinger
08-05-06, 13:08
I'm considering getting another custom 1911 built later this fall. It's come down to making a final decision on what base gun to use. Whatever pistol I use the final product must have weapon mounted light capability. Right now I have settled on a SA Mil-Spec with Dawson rail combo as the starting point, but I'm open to other suggestions. I do have one problem with the Mil-Spec - it does not have front cocking serration’s. I consider them to be a “Must have” on any 1911 I ever buy or have built. They are either going to have to be added or a base gun found that has them already. A couple of guys that I trust have suggested using everything from a SA Mil-Spec Operator to various Colts.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.

cohiba
08-05-06, 13:29
Dinger,

Of course I'm going to say use one of the Colt series 70 repros. They have nice forged small parts so you would not have to gut it if you didn't want to. My new one might be ready by next Friday. Its my first with a light rail. I used the Caspian weld on but much modified. I'm going to use a SF X200B.

I'll e-mail you about the other stuff. Sorry, bad week at work.

subzero
08-05-06, 15:05
Dinger: you should come by Casa de Tom and check out my YoBo 1* stainless built on a Mil-Spec. I have some observations I'd rather not share with the general public.

rob_s
08-05-06, 17:42
If you like front cocking serations, why not start with the Colt Gunsite? Get the front strap high-cut, add your rail, and there's not much else it would need.

http://coltsmfg.com/cmci/Gunsite.asp

DocGKR
08-05-06, 20:48
As I am sure you are aware, at this point the best bet for an out of the box 1911 is a Nighthawk, as both Hilton and LAV have given them their stamp of approval... Next best would probably be a SA TRP Pro.

For a basic gun, Hilton has several recommendations on his website http://www.10-8performance.com/ and there have been several discussions over on 10-8 about base 1911's.

Personally, I have been using SA Milspecs for recent builds; Colts w/o firing pin safeties are also a great choice.

Derek_Connor
08-05-06, 21:46
You know my vote brother - Springfield.

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/3946/dsc00033mediumsmallsx6.jpg

Dave Berryhill
08-05-06, 22:34
If you want a true custom pistol built then it's best to start with a basic 1911 such as a Springfield Armory GI or Mil-Spec or a Colt Series 70 or 1991 and have your gunsmith do the modifications that you desire. The problem with using a Colt Enhanced or Gunsite or a Springfield Loaded is that the work that has already been done by the factory, such as Novak-style sights and beavertail grip safeties, isn't done that well. You'll typically find gaps under the rear sight or between the grip safety and frame.

Functionally they might be the same but cosmetically they usually aren't. Sometimes they don't function the same either. It all depends on what you want and what you are willing to pay. The Nighthawk is certainly a very good option.

As for rails, the Dawson is a good choice if you don't plan on having a light attached all the time. You can use the pistol without the light in many holsters. With a pistol having an integral rail, few holsters will fit it without the light attached.

Hydguy
08-05-06, 23:14
In one of the threads in the ARFCOM HT fourms, you talk as if you are close with Larry Vickers, and as I recall, he prefers the SA guns for his custom work.

Talk to him and see if he still feels that way. He is one of the best (if not THE best) in the biz right now...

dubb-1
08-06-06, 00:02
I always leave it up to the gunsmith to choose his canvas...

Linea_de_Fuego
08-06-06, 00:55
I'm considering getting another custom 1911 built later this fall.
I wonder what additioinal costs will be needed for these mods?

A couple of guys that I trust have suggested using everything from a SA Mil-Spec Operator...
This starting point appears to get the most bang for the buck. No pun intended.

Also, most of the builds that I see are carbon steel rather than stainless.
Are there issues with stainless that makes carbon steel the better choice?

Derek_Connor
08-06-06, 09:45
One thing to consider is buying a caspian frame/slide

So the Gunsmith gets to leave all the initial marks of detail, with his work and no one elses.

jmart
08-06-06, 11:20
...I do have one problem with the Mil-Spec - it does not have front cocking serration’s. I consider them to be a “Must have” on any 1911 I ever buy or have built.....

Why do you consider these a "must have"? What procedure/manipulation requires them that can't also be perfromed using just the rear serrations?

Derek_Connor
08-06-06, 14:56
Im not answering for dinger, but I also consider them an absolute must on a duty/training gun.

Different strokes for different folks, I'd rather grab, chamber check/drop the slide with alot of left hand on the gun, and my index/thumb touching the serrations.

It allows for more control on the weapon, more positive manipulation. Especially on a hot day, here you are sweating and your hands are slippery, I really enjoy the FCS.

From my own limited experience, performing the press check with the weakside thumb/index on the RCS doesn't allow for the amount of control on the weapon than I would like. And 'pinching' down on the RCS just with two fingers doesn't get it for me, using either the overhand or sling shot method, atleast.

On a carry gun, for an everyday normal joe such as myself, I dont like them. The gun rides in the holster IWB all day, and it rarely comes out through out the work week.

ETA: I forgot to mention, I enjoy their looks also, which I know puts me in the minority :)

jmart
08-06-06, 19:09
I guess it depends on whether or not you are running a FL guide rode. If using a short plug you can do a pinch check but some folks don't like the idea of having parts of your paws out around the muzzle. But I've always just used the rear serrations, grasping them with my weak hand, rolling the gun sideways so I get a good visual of the chamber, and then while locking my weak hand I push forward with my strong hand on the grip.

RyanB
08-06-06, 21:45
I like Colts. A Springer is mechanically as good as a Colt, but lacks the aesthetic appeal (to me).

No problem with building SS guns. I think mostly it's cosmetic reasons that lead people to build carbon steel guns.

VA_Dinger
08-09-06, 20:21
Why do you consider these a "must have"? What procedure/manipulation requires them that can't also be perfromed using just the rear serrations?

I use front cocking serrations when using my preferred press check technique. My current "#1" 1911 does not have them and I can get by just fine but I still miss not having them.

Like I said; if it were my choice every 1911 I own would have them.

jmart
08-09-06, 22:29
Roger that.

olds442tyguy
08-12-06, 14:53
I'm considering getting another custom 1911 built later this fall. It's come down to making a final decision on what base gun to use. Whatever pistol I use the final product must have weapon mounted light capability. Right now I have settled on a SA Mil-Spec with Dawson rail combo as the starting point, but I'm open to other suggestions. I do have one problem with the Mil-Spec - it does not have front cocking serration’s. I consider them to be a “Must have” on any 1911 I ever buy or have built. They are either going to have to be added or a base gun found that has them already. A couple of guys that I trust have suggested using everything from a SA Mil-Spec Operator to various Colts.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions.
The Mil Spec Operator doesn't have front cocking serrations. However, it does use the relatively simple serrations of the Loaded series, so any good gunsmith would probably be able to mimic them to near perfection on the front quite easily.

Also remember that the Mil Spec and Loaded Operators use a bushing versus the TRP's bull. That preference varies by user, but I prefer the bushing models. Finding the full length dust cover Loaded/Mil Spec Operators has gotten really tough lately.

In my opinion, the TRP is a take it or leave it gun. It's already loaded with decent features, but if they're features you don't prefer, it's probably best to look else where.

Last but not least, is your Pro not good enough? :p

RSF45
08-12-06, 19:49
If you're going all-out custom, what's your price range?
MIght want to check into Nighthawk or Wilson.
After almost 3k rounds my NH Talon is still tight as a drum.
I believe that NH does work on customer supplied pistols also.