PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 Ambi Safety v. P30S 9mm

Kchen986
12-18-10, 07:52
All,

I know some people don't like "vs" threads, but I am thinking about picking up a new pistol in 9mm. I shot a friends P30 V3 a while ago, and was so impressed that I have really wanted one ever since (I own a HK45C right now--sold my HK45). I also have 2 P30 mags I bought in a deal for USP45 mags. However, I have been waiting in excess of one year for the P30S in 9mm to come out (in standard non-long-slide ver.).

On the other hand, I hear nothing but glowing reviews for the M&P on this website. I handled one yesterday at the gunstore and was also thoroughly impressed. Good grip-angle, decent trigger, good sights, very ergonomic.

M&P Pros: Less expensive by about $300, consistent trigger, good after market support, cheap enough I won't cry every time the finish wears. +2 more rounds than the HK. Readily available unlike the P30S 9mm.

HKP30 Pros: Already have 2 magazines, great ergonomics. Trigger's pretty good. Already comes with night luminescent sights.

Both weapons lack a good trigger reset, although the M&P has aftermarket support to install a better trigger.

Which one would you choose, and why?

Thanks in Advance for any input.

Seraph
12-18-10, 09:20
I bought the M&P 9 FS w/ thumb safety, a little while back, from G&R Tactical, with the APEX sear and USB polished and installed. Aside from its relatively vague reset, it has a great trigger characteristic. That, combined with the very nice ergonomics, has sort of turned my head away from my Glock 19's (they're still great, and I'm not selling them). I shoot well with the Glocks, but I shoot well, with less conscious effort, with the M&P.

I recently became interested in picking up an HK P30S myself. I was impressed with it when it first came out, due to the extremely nice grip treatment, but it wasn't really on my to do list. I'm not looking to replace the M&P, which has become my EDC. I want a P30 mostly because I need to have one on hand, for holster making. Didn't realize the P30S in 9mm was scarce. If availability of the P30S is wanting, you might just go ahead and pick up the M&P. You can get a P30S when availability improves.

Biggy
12-18-10, 09:25
I prefer striker fired pistols like S&W M&P and Glock mainly for their triggers. If I couldn't have them I would probably go with some varient of the H&K P-30. If you have an indoor shooting range in your area that uses both, try each of them and see which one you prefer.

YVK
12-18-10, 12:43
I believe the first batch of P30S has come out already and sold out quickly.

Most common complaint with P30 are trigger and interference with slide stop. You said you shot P30 and consider trigger pretty good, you already ahead of most. I'd borrow or rent P30 and run it through timed drills out of holster where you don't have time to carefully place you fingers around controls and see if you get interference then.

I personally think that safeties on both models were afterthoughts. I don't like safety position/ergos on M&P; with HK I can find my way to place finger on.

BTW, most people find factory sights on HK lacking, and available options are few and far between, as well as expensive.

Seraph
12-18-10, 13:48
I dig the thumb safety on the M&P. It's placed pretty much where it would be on a 1911, so there's no drawback to it, for me. As for the thumb safety on the P30, I want it because I'll be able to make my holsters to accommodate it, and also accommodate the standard models without safeties.

C4IGrant
12-18-10, 14:33
Both are good guns. So you will win either way.

For me personally, I like striker fired guns. I also like that I can get parts easily for the M&P, lots of sight options and mags are cheap.

C4

Kchen986
12-21-10, 23:48
Bump for this thread.

Am having a hard time deciding between the M&P9Safety/Novak Night Sights/DCAEK versus a 9mm P30S/MePro night sights/Benchmade knife.

Price is about $700 Out the Door for the M&P9 configured the way I want it, versus $900 out the door.

Any feedback for either?

Magsz
12-22-10, 01:02
Bump for this thread.

Am having a hard time deciding between the M&P9Safety/Novak Night Sights/DCAEK versus a 9mm P30S/MePro night sights/Benchmade knife.

Price is about $700 Out the Door for the M&P9 configured the way I want it, versus $900 out the door.

Any feedback for either?

As has already been said in this thread, which one do you shoot better? How much shooting do you do? The safety on the M&P is miles better than the P30 safety and will lend itself better towards high volume shooting.

Of course, this is a subjective observation based upon my hand size and the hand sizes of my shooting buddies.

The P30 is a hugely attractive platform in my eyes but the simple fact of the matter is that for the extra 200 dollars you can walk away with about 1200 rounds of ammo and a whole lot of practice with the M&P.

At the end of the day so long as you choose a high quality, top tier firearm you're going to be able to shoot it well with enough training. Its more about the training and the practice than the gun that you're shooting....at least when it comes to defensive handguns and not super tricked out zero recoil competition blasters in the 40 megawatt range!

Good luck!

gtmtnbiker98
12-22-10, 06:23
Bump for this thread.

Any feedback for either?Only you can make that decision.

DocGKR
12-22-10, 06:36
Both pistols shoot well. Personally, I prefer the M&P9 w/ambi safety and Apex Duty Kit.

Cazwell
12-22-10, 13:48
I'm curious as to the reasons some of you chose the manual safety option?

badness
12-22-10, 14:20
I own both. However neither of mine have external safeties. If i had to choose just one, i'd go with the p30LS (long slide/safety) version.

The p30 has better ergonmics (IMO)
The p30 v3 has a da/sa trigger (which i like more)
The p30LS with external safety allows the gun to be carried with one in the chamber and in single action condition 1 mode like 1911's (which is AWESOME...IMO)
The Long slide version has a longer barrel, but also a longer rail, which allows the mounting of a surefire x300 without modification to the lights rail.

And the weirdest part about me liking the p30 is how the slide is "shaped". The top of the slide is narrower than the bottom of the slide (which meets the frame rails). For some odd reason, I just like that. It allows me to get a faster sight picture. :laugh:

The downside is their mags cost a shit load of money. (Well not so much the 15rd mags ($35), but the 10rd mags cost $55!!!!)

Another downside is the p30 costs $250 - $300 more. That's more than a case of ammo.

DocGKR
12-22-10, 14:21
1. I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... I really like having a manual safety on a pistol that is used for uniformed LE use, although this is less critical for plain clothes and CCW use.

2. I grew up shooting 1911's and have carried one for 25 years; I am used to having the manual safety and resting my thumb on it.

3. When re-holstering while carrying AIWB, it is comforting to have a manual safety engaged...

Kchen986
12-22-10, 14:52
1. I have twice seen officers' lives potentially saved when another person gained control of an officer's pistol, but the engaged manual safety prevented the weapon from firing--I don't like to think about the outcome if the pistols involved had been a Glock, Sig, XD, revolver, etc... I really like having a manual safety on a pistol that is used for uniformed LE use, although this is less critical for plain clothes and CCW use.

2. I grew up shooting 1911's and have carried one for 25 years; I am used to having the manual safety and resting my thumb on it.

3. When re-holstering while carrying AIWB, it is comforting to have a manual safety engaged...

These are my basic reasons for an external safety. I started out on the 1911 platform so I prefer the frame mounted thumb safety.

With my G19, clothing sometimes gets in to the holster. I usually lift my shirt up when reholstering, but a couple of times the shirt has gone in with the G19-- I shudder at what would happen my shirt caught the trigger.

In addition, sometimes I do cargo pocket, or jacket pocket carry. Although I know it's not recommended, sometimes it's the only option I have on hand for keeping my gun nearby (I'll put the gun in to my jacket pocket and play basketball with friends.)

Finally, I know I am imperfect, and thus, I'd like to add another layer of safety in case I ever, ever screw up.