PDA

View Full Version : Did i gain muscle mass or just some old fats getting back into my system.

SKULL1
12-18-10, 09:06
For the past year i have been doing a lot of running and paleo diet. i lost significant amount of wieght from 247 lbs to 210. Until from the past few months i have been doing crossfit medley.. k-bells, sprints and all the good stuff but less running. My diet.. well not very consistent but i am not overeating too. just eat the right amount of food. But what bothers me is that i am not loosing anymore pounds in fact i gain 3 pounds..:eek: although i can feel that body is slowly transforming into body of a Greek God..:sarcastic:

So quick question for the experts.. i am gaining muscle mass? should incorporate more cardio in my regimen?

Dos Cylindros
12-18-10, 14:13
I think you are probably okay. A good way to determine if you are gaining back fat is to use a tape to measure your waist as that is where fat is primarily stored for men. A set of calipers would also help. If you measurements don't change but your weight goes up, you are probably gaining muscle mass. Don't overlook the difference you can see when you look in the mirror.

biglou13
12-18-10, 19:58
+1 what dos said

primarily the mirror is best tell.

next to that a $30 body fat monitor. while not scientifically perfect they will sufficiently indicate trend.

but it sounds like your doing right high intense exercise, paleo ....

are you doing crossfit WOD's from crossfit .com or are you cherry picking WODS?

whats your work/ rest day pattern?

are u using any supplements?

if you really are concerned clean up diet. check out fit day.com its a good way to monitor what you put in mouth.

the new trend is LSD (long slow distance) cardio in its traditional approach is dead. cross fit and or other high intensity programs are wave of future of fitness. no disrespect intended but most crossfitters
don't even use the word.

It doesn't sound like weight loss is a goal. If it is I'd have different suggestions. or get to a box most crossfit trainers are pretty smart.

if you let us know more info , i'd have more direct suggestions

In the mean time just keep up the intensity, clean up diet, and get plenty of sleep.

comprido
12-20-10, 15:25
So quick question for the experts.. i am gaining muscle mass? should incorporate more cardio in my regimen?

No one can answer that question from the information you've provided. Sorry.

300WM
12-20-10, 18:17
I think you are probably okay. A good way to determine if you are gaining back fat is to use a tape to measure your waist as that is where fat is primarily stored for men. A set of calipers would also help. If you measurements don't change but your weight goes up, you are probably gaining muscle mass. Don't overlook the difference you can see when you look in the mirror.

Your info is a bit vague, but Dos here raises a good point. You can make quick muscle gains in the first few months of training, even if you are not lifting a lot of weights. But, if you are not putting the correct fuel in your body, you may peak in your muscle gains and fat loss, prematurely. When you first begin a training regimine, especially lifting weights, your muscles will give kind of a false look and feel in that they are abnormally retaining water and searching for nutrients to cope with repair. Once your muscles stabilize, this will begin to go South and that is when the true muscle gain will start showing up. When muscle fibers tear (results from heavy muscle use) they are repaired and a little is added each time you do this. If you are not challenging your muscles everytime you work out, this addition of new muscle will go South as well.

To me, from the little info you have given, you may have hit your first slump (peak) and it is now time to give your muscles a new challenge. This challenge will no doubt include what you are putting in your body. I encourage a 40% carb, 40% protein, and a 20% fat intake, with .6 grams of protein per body pound according to what your BMI should be for your height and build. If you train heavy, you can go on the heavy end of your BMI. So if you are 6' and your BMI is 180 for your height and build, then you should be consuming 108 grams of protein per day (not all at once).

You have to consider calories if you are still trying to lose some fat. 108 grams of protein is 432 calories. 108 grams of carbs is 432 calories. That's 864 calories. At 40% for each of these, respectively, that leaves you with 54 grams of fat that you can consume for the day. That is 486 calories. So, you are at a total of 1350 calories for the day. For the BMI of a 6' 180 pound man, this would give you what you need to lose some more weight, yet feed your muscles, as well. Remember that if you are training heavy, or you plan to, you may have to increase your carb intake a little so that your body does not steal from the protein you are consuming to use for fuel. The body will convert protein (even the protein from your own muscle tissue) into glucose if you are not getting enough carbs. This is something you should not worry with too much until you begin to approach your goal weight.

Losing weight and gaining muscle is a state of mind. I can quote you all kinds of fascinating data on this or give you tens of links to websites, but if it is not something you are dedicated to, then your results may only be mediocre. This info I give you is only by experience and when I have been able to accompany someone I train with, so please don't take it as gospel. Your results will vary. Plus, if you have any sugar problems (hyper/hypoglycemia, diabetes, etc.) then you must take other things into consideration, and possibly get an eval from an MD. You can train with sugar problems, you just may not be able to use the 40/40/20 ratio that I suggest.

You should, in my opinion, get your carbs from filling foods like veggies, fruits, and whole grains. Whole grains are more filling and have a better glycemic rating than processed grains. Potatoes are not the boogie man, just don't eat a bushel all at once. Oils provide the best way to get fats. Avoid animal fats while trying to lose weight (for life, as good measure).

Hope you find a system that works well for you. I have some knowledge, but by no means am I an expert.

BiggLee71
12-20-10, 20:21
You asked for a professional opinion, so here goes!!! (BTW, just one of my creds for fitness is a three year training stint with a partner who places 2nd and 4th in the '08 and '10 202 Olympia, so I know the "ins and outs" of training).

Very simple answer, muscle weighs more than fat. For example, when I'm 270 pounds, I look like I'm in the 225-230 range as compared to a "fat" 230 looking like 270-300 pounds of lard. Cardio isn't a bad thing just dont "overdo" it. What I mean by "overdo", when bodybuilders are prepping for a contest, they DO NOT do too much cardio. Your body will cannabilize itself. Muscle is the preferred fuel for our bodied. When we cardio, we require fuel. 30 mins 3-5 times a week should be sufficient if you are training for a "look". If you are training for say MMA fighting, its a totally different regimen with different goals. Hopes this helps. Lee