PDA

View Full Version : Little Efers

jmp45
12-18-10, 16:15
Some kids just need the crap kicked out them for good measure. We were heading north today on the interstate and there was an old chevy blazer slow driving in the passing lane blocking traffic. They weren't going to move to the slow lane so I decided to go around them in the right lane. As we pulled up along side of them the two kids occupying started mocking, giving us the finger and accelerating so we couldn't pass. I'm Irish and I have a tendency to light up pretty quick, which isn't a good thing since I carry most always. This went on for about 15 miles, we called state patrol and reported. When they realized we were reporting they backed off. Wifey had to calm me down, I don't have much tolerance for this kind of foolishness. I'm betting someone will say, you shouldn't pass in the right lane. Agreed, but I don't think you should be driving 50 in the passing lane holding up traffic.

Heavy Metal
12-18-10, 16:38
I wouldn't have waited 15 miles.

jmp45
12-18-10, 16:50
I wouldn't have waited 15 miles.

Oh, that helps..;)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-18-10, 17:42
Oooo that would've had my blood boiling. I know what you mean, when Im carrying I have to consciously remember to not lose it. I would have reported it in the first 2-4 miles. Good man.

jmp45
12-18-10, 17:52
Oooo that would've had my blood boiling. I know what you mean, when Im carrying I have to consciously remember to not lose it. I would have reported it in the first 2-4 miles. Good man.

We tried, called 911, they passed off to Canton police, they passed off to state highway patrol. Wifey was pretty much on the phone the whole time going over all the details to all 3. I seriously doubt there was any follow up.

Yeah, about the carrying thing, I don't want to lose the ccw over idiots, not worth it. But it would be nice to see em get a good spanking. Must be real fun for children to harass folks in there mid 50s.

ST911
12-18-10, 18:12
I seriously doubt there was any follow up.

I bet you're right. It's an exceedingly low priority event. Is it even a violation of the law in your area?

kal
12-18-10, 18:55
It's always amazingly stupid when people feel invincible and have total disregard for their own safety.

They don't understand when they are flicking me off, that I decide their fate. I am the one who dictates whether they will live or die today. I am in control, not them. I have the gun, and most likely, they don't.

Luckily, I'm not one who would throw my life away because of a finger.

But it's something a person should think about when messing with strangers.

Rider79
12-18-10, 19:00
PIT maneuver?

Suwannee Tim
12-18-10, 19:27
Sounds like driving slow in the left lane was an intentional provocation. When I see a provocation I get the hell away. I pretend I didn't see it and just fade away. People provoke because they want trouble. I don't want trouble so I don't play their game. You get mad you are playing their game.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-18-10, 19:38
I assume people driving in the left lane and not observing the speed limit or passing protocols, along with being beligerent, are under the influence and are reported to 911 as such. I can't think of any other rationale explanation- and we all want drunk drivers to get off the road, don't we?

With that kind of crappy behavior to society, I'll bet dollars to donuts that people may already be looking for them.

That or a penny out of the sun roof when you get in front. Lots of road hazard debris out there.

The_War_Wagon
12-18-10, 21:44
I assume people driving in the left lane and not observing the speed limit or passing protocols, along with being beligerent, are under the influence and are reported to 911 as such. I can't think of any other rationale explanation- and we all want drunk drivers to get off the road, don't we?

No SHIITE! Call 'em in as intoxicated, throwing beer cans on the road. That'll fix their little red blazer.:D

Honu
12-18-10, 22:01
911 what are you reporting ?

car swerving and trying to intentionally run me off the road they seem to be drunk ? not sure if it was a gun they had in their hand but they pointed something at me ? after that they started laughing then tried to make me crash again !

dhrith
12-19-10, 03:05
Wow, that's weird, usually they wait to cross the state line to do that. We call 'em "buck jams" up here, and usually it's two of 'em driving next to each other with "ZERO" chance of passing. :laugh:

rat31465
12-19-10, 07:00
We tried, called 911, they passed off to Canton police, they passed off to state highway patrol. Wifey was pretty much on the phone the whole time going over all the details to all 3. I seriously doubt there was any follow up.

Yeah, about the carrying thing, I don't want to lose the ccw over idiots, not worth it. But it would be nice to see em get a good spanking. Must be real fun for children to harass folks in there mid 50s.

Here in Missouri dialing *55 on your cell phone will get you straight to the Highway Patrol..?
I thought this was a national program but you may want to check your region.

Army Chief
12-19-10, 07:19
I realize this is kind of irrelevant, but lane discipline in the United States is non-existent. In Germany, it is illegal to cruise in the passing lane (and to obstruct other drivers), and if in the process of doing so you get hit from behind, the accident is your fault. (For obvious reasons, passing on the right is strictly forbidden.)

Over here, I've noticed a tendency for people to "claim" the left lane and then get about eight kinds of pissy when someone else wishes to pass. My favorites are the self-appointed enforcers of the law, who feel as if they are performing some greater civic duty by keeping all of the surrounding traffic at (or near) the posted speed limit.

To get back on topic, when I see kids behaving like this, my lingering ire isn't really directed so much at them, as with the parents who failed to communicate some very basic life lessons about courtesy and consideration at some point along the way. Rudeness positively galls me.

AC

Suwannee Tim
12-19-10, 07:46
It amazes me how some folks, given the chance to pass you on the right or the left will ease to the right to go around. One thing that appalls me is folks who use the right lane to pass when you have traffic merging in.

chadbag
12-19-10, 10:07
Having lived and driven in Germany (on the economy) for 18 months I kind of got religion about lane discipline and I always drive in the right most lane that is feasible. However, when there are 4-6 lanes with a lot of traffic I just go with the flow and pass on the right all the time. Not much else you can do (and btw this is what happens in Germany too when the Autobahn opens up to 4-6 lanes outside of big cities [like A8 outside of Stuttgart on the East and A9 going out of Munich on the north]). If the traffic density is low, even with 4-6 lanes, my normal lane discipline kicks in. (Lane discipline -- staying in the right most feasible lane -- also has the benefit of being less likely to catch a troopers eye in my estimation and experience unless traffic is non existent and you are really ripping up the road).

Suwannee Tim
12-19-10, 11:55
If I'm on a three lane highway I prefer the middle lane and will stay there unless I have a reason to move. Given an equal opportunity to pass on the left or the right you should pass on the left.

chadbag
12-19-10, 12:07
If I'm on a three lane highway I prefer the middle lane and will stay there unless I have a reason to move. Given an equal opportunity to pass on the left or the right you should pass on the left.

If I am on a 3 lane highway I drive in the rightmost available lane. If the traffic is not light, that very well may be the middle lane. But in light traffic you may want to rethink yor strategy.

Palmguy
12-19-10, 14:27
Only problem I have with that is it creates many more lane changes than would otherwise be needed to get out of the way of merging traffic.

bkb0000
12-19-10, 14:41
I realize this is kind of irrelevant, but lane discipline in the United States is non-existent. In Germany, it is illegal to cruise in the passing lane (and to obstruct other drivers), and if in the process of doing so you get hit from behind, the accident is your fault. (For obvious reasons, passing on the right is strictly forbidden.)

Over here, I've noticed a tendency for people to "claim" the left lane and then get about eight kinds of pissy when someone else wishes to pass. My favorites are the self-appointed enforcers of the law, who feel as if they are performing some greater civic duty by keeping all of the surrounding traffic at (or near) the posted speed limit.

To get back on topic, when I see kids behaving like this, my lingering ire isn't really directed so much at them, as with the parents who failed to communicate some very basic life lessons about courtesy and consideration at some point along the way. Rudeness positively galls me.

AC

i don't know about elsewhere in the country, but in Oregon, we've got signs posted "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT," and you can be ticketed for "obstructing traffic" if you dont GTFO. unfortunately, its a very, very, very rarely enforced rule, and people ride at 55 in the passing lane all the time, especially in my neck of the woods.

which absolutely ****ing infuriates me on a daily basis.

eta- in fact- our county game warden really likes to do this, and i've been stuck behind him several times over the years... doing between 50-55, in the passing lane, on a 55mph highway, for 20 miles.

500grains
12-19-10, 17:45
Kids ain't got no respect no more!

(kidding)

However I did apparently tick off some kids in a junky car on the highway a couple of months ago. But they waited until they were on an off ramp to brandish a police billy club with that 90 degree handle thing. It seemed pretty stupid for them to do that when they were on an off ramp and I was going down the highway, but whatever.

Spiffums
12-19-10, 17:50
It's always amazingly stupid when people feel invincible and have total disregard for their own safety.

They don't understand when they are flicking me off, that I decide their fate. I am the one who dictates whether they will live or die today. I am in control, not them. I have the gun, and most likely, they don't.

Luckily, I'm not one who would throw my life away because of a finger.

But it's something a person should think about when messing with strangers.

So you kill people for disrespecting you? Listen to too much rap huh?

CLHC
12-19-10, 18:06
Since I'm a single occupant driver and drive almost always next to the HOV lane, passing on the left (here where I live) is:

Can I use an HOV lane to pass a slow vehicle in front of me?
No, not unless you have the required number of people in the car. Violation of this rule is a moving vehicle infraction and comes with a fine of $124.

That most certainly makes me have to pass on the right.

QuickStrike
12-19-10, 18:46

AC

To be honest, parents no longer have much influence over their kids nowadays past the age of about 15. Even good kids are easily pressured.

How much time do you spend with your kids?

How much time does your kids spend with their friends?

Also, personality is basically wired in before birth IMO, some are more prone to becoming an asshole than others.

Army Chief
12-19-10, 19:00
I kind of took this off-topic, but of course the issue here isn't so much passing on the right as it is that (a) people shouldn't be in the habit of blocking the left/passing lane, and (b) regardless of lane, it is never acceptable to match speed, etc. to obstruct another driver -- much less to visually/verbally insult them when they attempt to pass.

We more or less expect each other to be lousy drivers, but it shouldn't be too much to hope for the most basic of courtesies (or, just as useful, complete ambivalence) from each other along the way.

To be honest, parents no longer have much influence over their kids nowadays past the age of about 15. Even good kids are easily pressured.

Understand what you're saying here, but as the parent of two college students and a high-schooler who know better, I will very respectfully non-concur.

AC

kal
12-19-10, 19:06

You're not getting it. I'm saying people shouldn't be messing with strangers. You don't know who is who, and the next guy you mess with might take your life away. It ain't worth it.

People have a bad tendency to put their lives in danger for no good reason.

There are nut jobs out there and they don't give a ****. It would be wise for people to stop giving others the finger and cussing out other drivers on the road for bullshit reasons. It may be your last ride.

chadbag
12-19-10, 19:34
Only problem I have with that is it creates many more lane changes than would otherwise be needed to get out of the way of merging traffic.

Not really. I said "rightmost available lane". If you are on a 3 lane highway with heavy traffic and constant on and off traffic than the right lane is not really available for through traffic. But if the traffic is light, you don't have that excuse...

And if you are already on the highway, you don't have to slow down or make way for the mergers. It is their responsibility to merge safely into traffic. (I am not saying you shouldn't get out of the way if possible etc to allow safe merging but in heavy traffic you may not be able to and don't have to)

Mac5.56
12-20-10, 00:24

Yea, Kal is the Man! He don't take shit from no one!

Seriously, his post is the funniest thing I have read in several days.

kal
12-20-10, 11:55
So you kill people for disrespecting you?

Yea, Kal is the Man! He don't take shit from no one!

Seriously, his post is the funniest thing I have read in several days.

neither of you can read worth a damn.

Mac5.56
12-20-10, 20:57
neither of you can read worth a damn.

Actually we can. You just have a tendency to show your true colors when you get all passionate and stuff.

kal
12-20-10, 21:47
passionate?:sarcastic:

Are you denying the fact that since it is not possible to determine 100% if a person is dangerous or not, if you mess with the wrong person, you may lose your life or get seriously injured?

This is reality.
I think it's the car that makes them think they are invincible.

Mac5.56
12-20-10, 22:06
passionate?:sarcastic:

Are you denying the fact that since it is not possible to determine 100% if a person is dangerous or not, if you mess with the wrong person, you may lose your life or get seriously injured?

This is reality.
I think it's the car that makes them think they are invincible.

I'm not denying anything, I'm just commenting on your overly inflated ego, which is apparent in your use of bold when referring to yourself. It screams of someone that has dilutions of grandeur, and has yet to be in a real conflict or confrontation.

kal
12-20-10, 22:14
I'm not denying anything

So my point has been understood? Excellent, now we can move on.

Mac5.56
12-20-10, 22:27
So my point has been understood? Excellent, now we can move on.

Yea it was, your actually pretty transparent. Doesn't mean your not hilarious...

Suwannee Tim
12-21-10, 04:40
I got a learning experience thirty years ago. I gave some chap the finger and shortly was looking down the barrel of his six inch nickel Colt Python. The most valuable skill I have is the ability to evaluate a situation without ego and walk away. Or run. I have yet to walk or run away and regret it.

chadbag
12-21-10, 06:54
I'm not denying anything, I'm just commenting on your overly inflated ego, which is apparent in your use of bold when referring to yourself. It screams of someone that has dilutions of grandeur, and has yet to be in a real conflict or confrontation.

That would be

"delusions of grandeur"

"dilutions of grandeur" would be something else completely.

Suwannee Tim
12-21-10, 09:09
That would be

"delusions of grandeur"

I think he meant "dialations of grandeur".

jmp45
12-21-10, 09:28
I got a learning experience thirty years ago. I gave some chap the finger and shortly was looking down the barrel of his six inch nickel Colt Python. The most valuable skill I have is the ability to evaluate a situation without ego and walk away. Or run. I have yet to walk or run away and regret it.

Thanks guys for the comments. Tim as well as a few others seem to have the best advise, yet probably the hardest for me to abide. I'm still a bit miffed at these brats. Hard for me to let things go I guess.

You can submit license plates to this site. The only value I can see is if someone googles a plate they may find a little info on the owner.

http://licenseplategenie.com/

Zhurdan
12-21-10, 10:26
For me at least, it's just not that big a deal. I'll take an exit, buy a pop or take a pee, get back on the highway and not have to deal with that particular stupid driver. It's not worth getting your heart rate up over something that trivial, especially when you're carrying a gun.

It's often times not just how upset the person carrying the gun gets that elevates the situation, it's how the people who you return the one finger salute to get. Just not worth it in my opinion to get bent out of shape because someone's an idiot driver.

bkb0000
12-21-10, 13:14
its never wise to be the one who escalated a road rage situation. what if you ended up having to shoot somebody? better to not have to deal with that because some guy was having a really bad day and took it out on you.

fact of the matter is, we've all behaved badly on the road. I know i've definitely been "that guy" before. the guy that other drivers say thing like "what a ****ing piece of shit human being," as though a moment on the road can be used as conclusive evidence of a persons worth.

one time we started for the hospital late, during one of our boys' deliveries... I had to put the peddle to the metal about halfway there- flashing my lights, passing, driving like a mild maniac. not THAT bad, but significantly crazier than you generally see on the highway... got her there just in the nick of time, too.

you know everybody on the highway that night thought I was just the biggest asshole to ever taint the road. if you saw somebody driving like that, would you think "he must be on the way to the hosital...?"

CarlosDJackal
12-21-10, 13:28
This happens in my area as well as N. VA, DC, and MD quite a bit. It happened this morning, a guy in front of me who was driving a PU truck swung right into the fast lane as soon as he made the right turn and stayed there for the next 10+ miles.

He sped up just enough to occupy the blind side of the car that was in front of him (who turned into the slow lane like they were supposed to). I was fortunate that he had a lapse in concentration and I managed to go around him before he could speed up (which he tried).

I caught site of this asshole 2 lights back just as I turned off the main road still driving in the left lane with a bunch of irate motorists right behind him.

This is nothing more than a control thing that some people like to play. In their pathetic, feeble little lives the thought of forcing others to conform to the pace they drive makes them feel good about themselves. For those few miles they are in "control".

You did right by calling the police. What those yahoos did can be construed as acts of "Road Rage" (depending on the jurisdiction) and in most States can lead to such a charge. Next time, don't wait until it's 15-miles down the road. Once they start using their vehicle to basically harass you, make the call. JM2CW.

CarlosDJackal
12-21-10, 13:32
i don't know about elsewhere in the country, but in Oregon, we've got signs posted "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT," and you can be ticketed for "obstructing traffic" if you dont GTFO. unfortunately, its a very, very, very rarely enforced rule, and people ride at 55 in the passing lane all the time, especially in my neck of the woods...

This is usually the case in most jurisdictions but is rarely enforced. In my daily commute, it's not unusual to get stuck behind some moron who is driving in the fast lane at 5-10 MPH BELOW the posted speed limit. Most of the time it's either some senior citizen who has absolutely no situational awareness or some woman talking on her cell phone. :rolleyes:

Suwannee Tim
12-21-10, 16:45
Thanks guys for the comments. Tim as well as a few others seem to have the best advise, yet probably the hardest for me to abide. I'm still a bit miffed at these brats. Hard for me to let things go I guess.

Walking away is easier said than done jmp. The first few times it is a cast iron bitch. It gets easier with practice. I like to think of Jodie, a former acquaintance. Former because he is now a guest of the State of Florida. He got into an altercation and he killed his antagonist and got 15 years. I, you jmp, any of us could be Jodie or his victim. It ain't worth the risk.

Mac5.56
12-21-10, 16:58
That would be

"delusions of grandeur"

And that's why both myself, and my sister who is a published Harvard scientist both pay someone to edit for us. Thank you, do you want a quarter a word?

jmp45
12-22-10, 11:04
Thanks again guys for your comments.. Where I live, seems to be a common thing for drivers to use the left lane to cruise at or below speed limit. If I'm in the left lane and someone pulls up behind, I always pull over to right to let pass. I'll let Karma come back on these kids, that happens sometimes, seems to be hit or miss...;)

Bobert0989
12-23-10, 04:39
That's almost as infuriating as when someone runs a red light in town just to get in front of you, and do so in a manner that requires you to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision with them. Then they usually don't even drive the speed limit, which infuriates you even more. Like they can't wait to jump in front of someone just to slow them down...

Stupid people make sensible people do stupid things. Just try to keep your cool, and remember that life is too short to worry about idiots and their lack of common courtesy. Just enjoy your own time and let them deal with their own fate...

No.6
12-23-10, 07:03
Karma is a bitch. It will come back and severely bite the butt. You did right in calling if for no other reason than to put doubt in their minds. Should have done it as soon as it became apparent that it was a game to the kids.

I could relate numerous stories of bozo drivers (seems we're the state capital for them and have the insurance rates to prove it) but the most irksome thing I'm seeing lately is when someone turns into a parking lot (with the blinker on) and the person behind them lays down on the horn indicating their "displeasure" at being even slightly delayed.

Palmguy
12-23-10, 07:04
Made the annual Christmas trek to the in-laws last night...Left lane bandits were out in force...