PDA

View Full Version : Santa Claus & War Baby!

The_War_Wagon
12-18-10, 21:52
http://iowntheworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/19-0339a.gif

A War Department original, to bring you Christmas cheer! :cool:

obucina
12-18-10, 23:24
too bad there isnt a facebook-esque "like" button.:p

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
12-19-10, 00:53
The heyday of America at War. Imagine putting up a poster like that nowadays? Not only would you get skewered for having guns on govt postings but a Christian symbol too?! Double screwed. Where can I get a full-size version for my wall?!

pcardinal42
12-19-10, 02:56
I would love to see a modern era picture like this.

SIGguy229
12-19-10, 04:48
The heyday of America at War. Imagine putting up a poster like that nowadays? Not only would you get skewered for having guns on govt postings but a Christian symbol too?! Double screwed. Where can I get a full-size version for my wall?!

Ummm...not to stir s**t up, but how is Santa a "Christian" symbol? I don't remember reading about him in the Bible...

308smk
12-19-10, 06:51
uhh..
Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Sinterklaas(Santa)

GermanSynergy
12-19-10, 08:57
Awesome poster!

Today it would be frowned upon, unless Santa was replaced by Lenin, Mao or Stalin.

keller
12-19-10, 12:48
Awesome, especially since im in Dayton.

MeanRider
12-19-10, 13:12
I love those old posters.

PRGGodfather
12-19-10, 13:27
uhh..
Saint Nicholas of Myra is the primary inspiration for the Christian figure of Sinterklaas(Santa)

And while secular folks are more than welcome to celebrate Christmas any way they wish (or not celebrate any way they don't), Christmas is most certainly a Christian holiday, which without, Santa would have absolutely no purpose; hence the name.

Santa and Christmas has always been an interesting paradox, and they are perennially linked.

The post-modern Santa is a fit, multi-cultural vegan asexual on Zoloft, who drives an electric sled and only gives unsolicited advice...

CumbiaDude
12-19-10, 16:22
Well, I didn't expect to have a discussion of the history of Christmas here on M4Cnet but...

Christ wasn't born in Winter, he was born in Spring, and the reason Christmas is in December is because the Romans decided to usurp the pagan celebration of the Winter solstice.

So in the end, it's both totally pagan and totally Christian, and getting hung up on these things will get us nowhere. :p

m4brian
12-19-10, 18:19
Jesus was likely born in the fall - during Feast of Tabernacles - kinda makes sense.

CumbiaDude
12-19-10, 21:01
I'd heard people say that because of the shepherds and so on it'd need to be in Spring, but then in some further reading I just did some other people said that it doesn't matter much in the Levant, as the Mediterranean climate allows foraging even in December. Lucky I'm not getting hung up about it, lol :p

The_War_Wagon
12-20-10, 12:10
Christ wasn't born in Winter, he was born in Spring.

So you've got JESUS' birth certificate, but we still can't get Obama's. Go figure?

bigghoss
12-20-10, 13:33
would you rather celebrate your birthday 3 months late or not at all?;)

CumbiaDude
12-20-10, 21:11
So you've got JESUS' birth certificate, but we still can't get Obama's. Go figure?C'mon, in my later post (just before yours ;) ) I pointed out that the information I had may have been mistaken :D

As for Obama's...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthers/kenyacert.asp Mombasa, Kenya

:D:D:D:D:D