PDA

View Full Version : MARS Armament 01918 Axiom.

Dos Cylindros
12-19-10, 10:25
Most people on this forum are by now very familiar with the work of Steve Morrison of MARS Armament. A few years ago I read an article in Surefire Combat Tactics about the T.H.U.G. 1911 and decided right then that I would someday have a 1911 built by Steve.

I went back and forth for a while about what I wanted to do, then I saw DThomas' 01918 Axiom on this forum, along with Militarymorons' MARS Armament gun and I finally broke down and gave Steve a call. After several conversations with Steve, and a few PM conversations with DThomas I decided to pick up a Colt 01918 WWI Repro and send it to Steve for his Axiom package with a few additions.

During the wait for the build, Steve proved to be a great guy to deal with. He took the time to answer my questions via phone and e-mail and I learned that we share several mutual interests, the primary being Ducati motorcycles. During the build, Steve continually sent me text photos of the gun in it's various stages of build. Yesterday, Steve sent me these photos of the finished product. The photos show the gun fitted with the original GI thumb safety, and I had Steve fit both the original and extended thumb safeties to the gun. To say that I am pleased is an understatement, and am looking forward to receiving the gun after it ships on Monday. I will update with more pics and a range report when I get it in hand.

Extras added to the Axiom package include;

Gold bead front sight with MARS modified hook style rear sight.

Flush cut muzzle to stainless thick flange bushing.

Black Ceracoat finish.

MARS golf ball on front strap and mainspring housing.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/BlehmLeftSide2.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/BlehmRightSide4.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/DSCN3424.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/DSCN3427.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/DSCN3422.jpg

Jason F
12-19-10, 11:25
Oh wow, Merry Christmas to you this year!! Perfect timing on the delivery it sounds like.

Enjoy that sweet looking shooter!

MarshallDodge
12-19-10, 11:46
Great looking fighter.

I have heard a lot of good things about Steve's work and that one looks to be no exception.

David Thomas
12-19-10, 12:07
I absolutely love it. I am sure it will shoot as good as it looks, but give us range report when you get a chance.

dsa
12-19-10, 12:17
Very nice! Looking forward to a range report.

Mark71
12-19-10, 12:21
Looks absolutely amazing! Looking forward to reading how it shoots.

JSGlock34
12-19-10, 13:15
Another great MARS build. Look forward to the range report.

Dos Cylindros
12-19-10, 13:44
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I am really excited about this gun, and can't wait to have it in my hands, hopefully on Teusday. I will try to get it to the range later that day, or on Wednesday but this being Christmas week I don't know if it will happen.

VooDoo6Actual
12-19-10, 13:46
Nice looking pistol.

Another fine example of Steve's excellent work.

TehLlama
12-19-10, 13:47
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

That looks excellent.

DrMark
12-19-10, 18:24
Wow. Very, very cool.

colinmc
12-19-10, 23:29
Just got my Axiom too! Well a couple of weeks ago. Steve sent me pictures also through the whole build, that was pretty cool to see.
This pistol was my dads, he bought it the year I was born, mid '70's.
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/spr223/000_0063.jpg

Dos Cylindros
12-20-10, 09:33
Just got my Axiom too! Well a couple of weeks ago. Steve sent me pictures also through the whole build, that was pretty cool to see.
This pistol was my dads, he bought it the year I was born, mid '70's.
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/spr223/000_0063.jpg

Very nice bro! I see you went with the MEUSOC style rear sight, I went back and forth with the rear sight and almost went with the same as yours.

colinmc
12-20-10, 12:01
The MEUSOC sight is great. Better sight picture than I expected. I went with that sight to keep the lines of the pistol as close as the way my dad had it, just with updated parts. Now the front sight Steve had to do a little welding of the slide, my dad had someone in the early '80's install a Mllet front sight. The crip holes on the inside of the slide were HUGE. Steve welded the slide and re contoured. He did such a nice job, you would never know those holes were here. When he parkerized the slide he didn't like the way the welded area turned out, so he Cerakoted the slide. It gives the gun a sort of two tone effect that I really like.

Dos Cylindros
12-20-10, 12:36
The MEUSOC sight is great. Better sight picture than I expected. I went with that sight to keep the lines of the pistol as close as the way my dad had it, just with updated parts. Now the front sight Steve had to do a little welding of the slide, my dad had someone in the early '80's install a Mllet front sight. The crip holes on the inside of the slide were HUGE. Steve welded the slide and re contoured. He did such a nice job, you would never know those holes were here. When he parkerized the slide he didn't like the way the welded area turned out, so he Cerakoted the slide. It gives the gun a sort of two tone effect that I really like.

Very cool. Mine was initially going to be a build along the much more simple lines like yours, but as time went on I made several additions until I ended up with a not so simple build :D. Keep us updated on how yours shoots.

350_eight08
12-20-10, 13:01
Congrats bro! As with all of Steve's work, badass! I've been draggin my ass to update my thread with a range report, but to no surprise, it functions as good as it looks. No doubt the same for yours!

I keep telling Steve I will have to send my gun back to him soon for a refinish. With the amount of "lovin" my THUG gets, the parkerizing will be worn in no time. ;)

colinmc
12-20-10, 13:49
It is hard to keep it simple with all the options that are out there. I debated over having the front strap done up, but decided to leave it plain. I like that golf ball pattern. I'll start my own thread with some more pictures and a range report. Did'nt mean to hijack yours.

Dos Cylindros
12-20-10, 13:53
Congrats bro! As with all of Steve's work, badass! I've been draggin my ass to update my thread with a range report, but to no surprise, it functions as good as it looks. No doubt the same for yours!

I keep telling Steve I will have to send my gun back to him soon for a refinish. With the amount of "lovin" my THUG gets, the parkerizing will be worn in no time. ;)

Post up a shot of your well used T.H.U.G. bro! Are you in the aloha state? I will possibly be comming your way next month for some training my agency is sending me to.

Dos Cylindros
12-20-10, 13:53
It is hard to keep it simple with all the options that are out there. I debated over having the front strap done up, but decided to leave it plain. I like that golf ball pattern. I'll start my own thread with some more pictures and a range report. Did'nt mean to hijack yours.

No hijack at all. Perhaps we should start at MARS Armament thread with all of the guys who have guns done by Steve on this board.

350_eight08
12-21-10, 12:50
Post up a shot of your well used T.H.U.G. bro! Are you in the aloha state? I will possibly be comming your way next month for some training my agency is sending me to.

So far one trip to the range for function testing, and a couple of IPSC matches is all it's seen so far. Looking forward to next years match schedule where it will definitely see a lot more use. I will be posting more pics soon, as well as a range report. In short, I couldn't be happier. I'm sure you will feel the same.

Yes I am, keep me posted on your visit, maybe grab a cold one while your here.

Kentucky Cop
12-21-10, 14:51
I have never heard of MARS armament and or steve. Does anyone have a few links to add so I can read up on all this 1911 goodness. No idea what the Axiom package is etc...

However, I want one of those 1911's. Awesome looking with the golfball strap and finish.

Yours truly, the new guy.:big_boss:

KC

dsa
12-21-10, 15:00
http://marsguns.com/Home.htm

Kentucky Cop
12-21-10, 15:02
http://marsguns.com/Home.htm

Thanks, I found it too. It says "this page will harm your computer" when I click on it. Too scared to go forward with it.

KC

Dos Cylindros
12-21-10, 15:14
Thanks, I found it too. It says "this page will harm your computer" when I click on it. Too scared to go forward with it.

KC

Don't worry you will be fine. There is a good link on Steve's home page to the Surefire Combat Tactics article written about a T.H.U.G. package he built. MARS Armament also has a facebook page and there are several build threads on this forum if you search MARS Armament or Steve Morrison.

350_eight08
12-21-10, 15:18
Kentucky Cop, Steve's website was attacked and has been down a few days. He has an alternate page set-up under harduseguns.com, but I just checked for you and that too is down. I assume both addresses are on the same server. Give it a few days, and I'm sure he should have the problem sorted. In the interim, there are a couple of sticky posts available in the 1911 section, and I have a post of my recent build from Steve under MARS THUG. Hope this helps.

350_eight08
12-21-10, 15:54
Kentucky Cop, please go to Steve's new website.

http://www.marsguns.net/

Just got word from Steve that his ISP was hacked so he switched to a new one.

Kentucky Cop
12-21-10, 19:56
Kentucky Cop, please go to Steve's new website.

http://www.marsguns.net/

Just got word from Steve that his ISP was hacked so he switched to a new one.

Just got done looking at it for half and hour. I am in love with his guns. I finally clicked on "store" and it appeared to be hacked. I was so wanting to see how much one of his off the shelf 1911's cost. Basically a Colt with his Axiom package. It leaves you to believe that he has pistols for sale "off the shelf". Colts that are already finished with either a THUG or AXIOM package.

Dreamy....

JBRIII
12-21-10, 20:11
I love mine!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v720/jbreamsiii/MARSAxiom2-web.jpg

Kentucky Cop
12-21-10, 20:24
I hate doing this, if I supply the Colt, how much for the Axiom package? I cant see it on MARS site due to it being hacked into. Nothing exact, just a ballpark figure. I love the 01918 WW repro build. Nice...

KC

theJanitor
12-21-10, 21:45
you won't believe the axiom price back in early 08. i can't even think about it without kicking myself in the ass a hundred times.:suicide2:

colinmc
12-21-10, 22:35
One more of mine. Love it!
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/spr223/000_0068.jpg

Dos Cylindros
12-21-10, 23:30
One more of mine. Love it!
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/spr223/000_0068.jpg

It does look like a great gun. I already want to send Steve another one for a retro build!!!

eternal24k
12-22-10, 09:10
Wow,
I love everything about this build.
That sight and safety looks fantastic!
Any plans to offer the sight?

Dos Cylindros
12-22-10, 09:37
Wow,
I love everything about this build.
That sight and safety looks fantastic!
Any plans to offer the sight?

Which sight are your referring to? The "hook" style on mine, or the MEUSOC on Colins? The MEUSOC is available through Steve, you just have to call him and order, the "hook" style is a Heine that Steve modifies himself and I am not sure if he will do it and sell them individually.

eternal24k
12-22-10, 09:43
Which sight are your referring to? The "hook" style on mine, or the MEUSOC on Colins? The MEUSOC is available through Steve, you just have to call him and order, the "hook" style is a Heine that Steve modifies himself and I am not sure if he will do it and sell them individually.

the hook :)

JBRIII
12-22-10, 13:42
Mine is a modified Heinie Rear and a Tritium Front. He widened the notch a tad and it's perfect!

Steve_Morrison
12-23-10, 13:23
Was able to sneak away from the milling machine for a couple minutes to check in here.

1- The excellent MEUSOC replica sights you have seen on a couple of MARS pistols should be attributed to Dave Berryhill--they are his design. They have a great sight picture, are well made and easy to fit. I appreciate him letting a couple onto our guns. I would suggest contacting Dave directly to obtain them, for MEU replica pistols and information, and some pretty nifty front strap work. www.berryhillguns.com

2-Colin's sight is a new sight made from scratch at the MARS shop, we call it the PWS, it is similar to the sight on earlier MEUSOC pistols amd there is a TALL version which is exactly like the originals. These are currently only available on pistols built @ MARS.

3- We regularly modify the Heinie sights and also make complete sights from scratch and can accomodate pretty much any custom request, including special notches, tritium inserts and rear blade shapes.

4- Most of the prices for MARS packages and services are listed on the website, feel free to contact me direct with any questions about custom options or pricing.

Thank you all for the kind words and Merry Christmas.
Don't shoot your eye out!

Dos Cylindros
12-24-10, 19:14
The gun finally got here last night!! First impression was that the pictures Steve sent me really don't do the gun justice. The Ceracoat finish is perfectally done, and Steve and Co. were able to assure that the coating did not in any way obscure the old school WWI roll marks I love so much. I immediately installed the extended thumb safety and while fondling the gun, noticed what an increadable de-horn job was done on this gun. Very subtle, but extremely effective.

I had the oportunity to take my father and my father in law to the local indoor range today and put a few hundred rounds through the gun. Everything functioned perfectally save for one of the original Colt GI mags, which I immedately removed from the rotation. The best thing about this gun is the gold bead setup. I am now converted to this setup on 1911's and was really supprised to find that this gun needed no rear sight drifting to hit POA/POI for me (very rare for my eyes), as I usually have to drift rear sights to the right to get the gun hitting on the sights. The other thing I noticed, as did my shooting partners is the effectiveness of the MARS golf ball treatment. It is not sharp in any way, shape or form, but extremely effective, especially combined with the golf ball grips.

No pics today as the fam is here and we are cooking up a storm. I will get some fresh pics up in the next couple of days. I am loving this 1911 !!

Have a great Christmas guys and gals.:D

David Thomas
01-10-11, 01:30
Dos and Colin,
How are yall liking your axioms now that you have had them for a little while?

Either one of you plan on running crimson trace grips? I know you mentioned them earlier, Colin.

I am also curious how the cerakote holds up.

colinmc
01-10-11, 10:34
Dave,
I really love this thing more every day! The cerakote is holding up very well, zero wear and I carry it every day. There is a little wear on the barrel hood, but that is to be expected. When I first got it the barrel bushing was a little tight, but after turning it a couple times it loosed up so I can remove it with out tools.

The Crimson Trace grips are in the works. I need to shot this thing more before I put those on. I lost the sight in my right eye and transitioning over to my left is giving me some problems. I don't want to rely on the laser. I think its adjusting my grip to line up the sights with my right hand and my left eye that is giving me some trouble. Just need to shot more and get it figured out.

But I can't say enough good thing about the gun!

Colin

Dos Cylindros
01-16-11, 19:15
Dos and Colin,
How are yall liking your axioms now that you have had them for a little while?

Either one of you plan on running crimson trace grips? I know you mentioned them earlier, Colin.

I am also curious how the cerakote holds up.

Dave, sorry I got back to this so late as I didn't get a notice that there was a new reply to the thread. I have ment to update it, but unfortunately the gun had a minor "teething" issue and Steve requested that I send it back to him. He has had it for a couple of weeks now, so I hope to see it back soon. Rest assured I will have a full report when it returns, and will be sure to comment on how the Ceracoat wears over time. I have a new raven concealment kydex rig on the way for it, so I really intend to give the finish a workout so to speek.

MPK9Cop
01-21-11, 22:30
Good looking weapon.

Blayglock
01-26-11, 08:32
How has the BearCote held up for you?

Dos Cylindros
01-26-11, 12:24
It's actually ceracoat, it is much harder than Baercoat (I say this from personal experience) In the limited time I have had the gun, it seems to be a very durable finish. I have a new raven concealment kydex rig on order, so that should really put it to the test.

TehLlama
01-28-11, 00:02
BearCoat (from Baer - the spelling is right) sucks. Works as a self-lubricious type coating, and does a good job of preventing corrosion where it stays on, but any dents, dings, or wear spots might as well be blued. Cerakote is MUCH better, even the moly-resin coatings are a better option to use.

Ceracoat over parkerize is probably the ideal harsh environment coating you can run on these for value, my Springfield will have this setup soon. There's a reason MARS runs Ceracoat on stuff.