PDA

View Full Version : LaRue VTAC Sling versus the Vickers???

toddackerman
08-15-07, 16:26
Other than the LaRue VTAC having a padded shoulder section what are the differences if any? Are they the same? I noticed that the Vickers sling marketed by "Blue Force Gear" has a "Patent Pending", and the LaRue VTAC is "Registered". Any chance that the "V" in the LaRue VTAC sling stands for Vickers

Thanks for the help!

Tack

M4Guru
08-15-07, 16:37
Other than the LaRue VTAC having a padded shoulder section what are the differences if any? Are they the same? I noticed that the Vickers sling marketed by "Blue Force Gear" has a "Patent Pending", and the LaRue VTAC is "Registered". Any chance that the "V" in the LaRue VTAC sling stands for Vickers

Thanks for the help!

Tack

The VTAC and VCAS are different executions of the same basic concept. The VCAS uses a slider that eliminates the tail on the VTAC, the VTAC uses a rucksack-style buckle that is easier to adjust. I don't like the tail, so I have a VCAS on all my guns except for one.

Both are well made, and the VCAS will be out sometime in the future with a padded strap.

The "V" in VTAC does NOT stand for Vickers...it stands for Viking, as it is made by Viking tactics.

Steve
08-15-07, 16:44
I just picked up 2 new padded vtacs and so far so good.
time will tell.

I also have 4 vickers slings as well.

Jury is out still but i might see a LAV sling sale in the near future

utarch00
08-15-07, 19:45
I have been trying to decide between these two myself. So I will be watching this thread closely.

Harv
08-15-07, 20:46
I don't care for the excess tail of the VTAC either... I'm holding out for the Padded VCAS....

Love the standard one I have now...

toddackerman
08-15-07, 21:13
I don't care for the excess tail of the VTAC either... I'm holding out for the Padded VCAS....

Love the standard one I have now...

What's the ETA on the padded version? I'm tired of getting a chafed neck when training in 100 degree conditons.

Tack

Robb Jensen
08-15-07, 21:54
I haven't tried the Viking slings but I have 3 of the Vickers CAG slings and love them.

Matt Edwards
08-16-07, 01:32
I'm still waiting on M4Guru to give me one of his VCAS's...

C4IGrant
08-16-07, 06:52
I personally prefer the BFG Vickers sling as I believe it is better designed, uses better material's and is also cheaper. The QD swivels on the BFG Vickers PB model are not your ordinary old UM's swivel. These are specially designed by BFG and are made just for them.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/BFG/Vickers%20GR%20version%20mounted.jpg

utarch00
08-16-07, 10:10
I personally prefer the BFG Vickers sling as I believe it is better designed, uses better material's and is also cheaper.

I am seeing the BFG Vickers selling for $50 and the Viking Tactics selling for $40.

toddackerman
08-16-07, 10:30
I am seeing the BFG Vickers selling for $50 and the Viking Tactics selling for $40.

I just checked again...

The Viking Tactics VTAC LR2 from LaRue is $70.00 on the LaRue Web Site.

The Blue Force Gear Vickers "VCASSW" 2 Point Sling with 2 QD Swivels is $55 from Grant at G&R Tactical.com. This is the rig I have decided to get because I have seen too many complaints about the length that the "Tail" gets as it is drawn tight on the LaRue setup.

I am opting to have a QD Rail Mount for the Front swivel, so I am going with LaRue for their QD Rail Mount #LTFSA fo $32.00. Either way you need a way to mount to the front end of the weapon, and I prefer QD.

I know Grant has the Daniels Defense Rail mount, but I prefer LaRue.

Tack

toddackerman
08-16-07, 10:34
I personally prefer the BFG Vickers sling as I believe it is better designed, uses better material's and is also cheaper. The QD swivels on the BFG Vickers PB model are not your ordinary old UM's swivel. These are specially designed by BFG and are made just for them.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/BFG/Vickers%20GR%20version%20mounted.jpg

Grant...what is the QD Mount System on the Buffer Tube? Where can I get it??? Do you carry it?

Tack

C4IGrant
08-16-07, 14:06
Grant...what is the QD Mount System on the Buffer Tube? Where can I get it??? Do you carry it?

Tack

That is the DD Car QD mout. We sell them on our DD page.

C4

C4IGrant
08-16-07, 14:14

VTAC with swivels $69: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Categories.bok?category=Stocks+%2F+Grips+%2F+Slings+%2F+Rail+Covers

VICKERS with swivels $55: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BFGE

C4

Fireguy275
08-16-07, 14:45
Grant, PM sent.

Steve
08-16-07, 14:55
Ok ran my vtacs today I really see no issue with the tail, assualted the house and range today..

but again I use and run both (BFGLAV) nad VTAC so Im covered.:D

but that padded vtac is great.

M4Guru
08-16-07, 18:11
If you don't want swivels, you can get the VTAC through Blackhawk for as low as $25, and the padded version for $30.

Stickman
08-16-07, 22:40
... better designed, uses better material's and is also cheaper.

Its clear that Sgt Vickers and Ashley Burnsed knew exactly what they were going for with the design and execution of the VCAS. Comparing the two slings is almost apples and oranges from a material standpoint.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul/IMG_0903%20Stick.jpg

Treehopr
08-16-07, 23:25
I briefly tried the VCAS and found it difficult to adjust, the material seemed to add some friction to prevent it from sliding easily. I ended up giving it away to another shooter at the Low Light class in May.

I switched to the padded Larue/VTAC and find that it adjusts much more easily.

Very natural after having an ALICE rucksack with a similar release mechanism for several years. The "tail" on the VTAC occasionally gets in the way but otherwise hasn't been anything other than a minor annoyance and that usually only happens when doing cross shoulder transitions. If you use it in the normal support arm through position its fine.

As far as quality of material I like the VTAC better as it feels more comfortable to me.

YMMV

Fernando Coelho
08-18-07, 08:27
I have used the Vickers sling and prefer it over all other slings. The stiffness that was in the sling when I first attached it to the carbine went away with use. It's also very well made.

VA_Dinger
08-20-07, 19:59
A friend sent me this photo a year or so ago.

A shot through LaRue/VTAC tail:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/va_dinger/DSC00065.jpg

It seems as though it can get in the way at times.

gkanga
08-30-07, 18:15
I've been trying to decide which of these slings to buy, and I figured I'd try them both eventually so I flipped a coin and I'm getting the Vickers first. Now I have to figure out the best way to attach it. I have a standard M4 stock so that end shouldn't be a problem, but I don't have a side sling swivel. I found the wire loop gizmo on the Blue Force Gear website and at G&R and some other places, does anybody have experience with those? It seems like a simple idea and I like that it can be used in a variety of places on the rifle (FSB, at the delta ring, etc).

C4IGrant
08-30-07, 18:42
I've been trying to decide which of these slings to buy, and I figured I'd try them both eventually so I flipped a coin and I'm getting the Vickers first. Now I have to figure out the best way to attach it. I have a standard M4 stock so that end shouldn't be a problem, but I don't have a side sling swivel. I found the wire loop gizmo on the Blue Force Gear website and at G&R and some other places, does anybody have experience with those? It seems like a simple idea and I like that it can be used in a variety of places on the rifle (FSB, at the delta ring, etc).

They work very well and are a simple way to give yourself another connection point.

C4

Steve
08-30-07, 18:57
How the heck did that happen?

I have switched all but 2 of my guns over to VTAC's now 2 still wear Vickers.

I find the adjusments smoother more fluid, the padded version is great comfort.

they all have there place ...

20psiMR
08-31-07, 01:10
The tail on my Vtac is just NOT that long. I cant possibly see it getting shot. For one, the tail is only out when you have the sling pulled tight to your chest. HOW someone could shoot from that position I dont know, unless the sling wasnt even over their shoulder. When you hit the lanyard and give some slack, the tail is completely gone, sucked up into the quick release buckle/lanyard.

Personally, I like the VTAC quite a bit. I use my m4 for varmint hunting, and we walk FAR. This is by far the most comfortable sling I have ever had with the extra padding, and its a snap to unsnug it with a tug on the lanyard. Works for me!

KevinB
08-31-07, 12:16
I have both VTAC and the VCAS (well 6 of them). After working with both - my work guns just wear The Blue Force Gear Vickers sling - to me its a better design and less prone to snagging, and made of a better material.

I had a VTAC on a shorty - and I can see how it can get shot, wrapped around your PEQ, stuck in parts of a Blackhawk and generally be a PITA.

R Moran
08-31-07, 12:57
I use both also. My "work gun" has the VTAC on it, simply because I got it before the VCAS was available. I'm luvky they let me use anything other then the issue 3 point.

While the tail has not been a problem, the buckle can be. Because of where it sits on my body, it has come in contact with gear on my duty belt, mostly my radio antenna, and lossens the sling. Sometimes no big deal, other times, its not fun to have your weapon suddenly fall to your knees.

I think there very little to choose from between the two, and you won't be to far wrong with either one.

Bob

1911snob
05-03-09, 17:19
bringing this back from the past...

Im also torn between the VCAS or VTAC. I current have a non padded BF with swivels and its OK but I really want a padded unit.

Seems like most operators run the VCAS but both Noveske and Larue run VTAC.

I like to know which one is more comfortable? as Im just a varmint blaster.

VTAC unit is 19" x 2" section of closed-cell foam.

VCAS doesnt really say :confused:

Also some have complained about the VCAS being to long, do they now make a revised shorter version????

Grant and other operators, please chime in....

MTR7
05-03-09, 17:27
Well I own both. I have more shooting with the VTAC as I have owned them for years. I know nothing about the quality of nylon so I will refrain from stating wich one uses better material than the other. I do like the rough texture of the Vickers sling, it seems to keep sling from sliding as much. Important, mabey, mabey not. After all I am a buffet comando at best.
Matt

sff70
05-04-09, 00:27
I've used both the VTAC and and VCAS.

I prefer the (padded) VCAS for the following reasons:

-The VCAS is more comfortable because it's wider and thicker than the material used for the VTAC. The difference is not insignificant.

-It can be difficult to find/reach the adjustment on the VCAS, especially if you are are wearing kit that restricts the range of motion of your support arm.

-The tail on the VTAC gets stuck in kit and interferes with the use if kit (re-inserting a portable radio in its pouch, re-inserting a flashlight in its pouch, etc.).

-The VCAS can be obtained with swivel and pad variations not offered in the VTAC.

Recommend you beg/buy/borrow both and try them under realistic and varied conditions to make your decision.

HTH,

S

brianc142
05-06-09, 11:22
I have a couple of each, both padded and unpadded versions. I don't think one sling is better than the other just designed a little different and made with different materials. They are by far the two best designed two point slings on the market and either will serve you well.

mjpsyr
05-06-09, 12:33
I have both (unpadded versions) and prefer the BFG Vickers. It seems to be made with better quality materials and the tail on the VTAC was a little too long for me.

C4IGrant
05-06-09, 12:38
I have both (unpadded versions) and prefer the BFG Vickers. It seems to be made with better quality materials and the tail on the VTAC was a little too long for me.

My thought as well. The materials used in the BFG Vickers slings are a much higher quality.

C4

snellkid
05-07-09, 08:00
I use the BFG Vickers Victory 2pt Sling, High quality, I've been real happy with it.

Serpico1985
05-07-09, 11:48
Had VTAC first (liked the idea of more adjustment). It was ok. But, there was a lot of loose threads and the overall quality of the vickers is, in my opinion, better. It serves my m14 clone quite nicely.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2lnwzmv.jpg

Thomas M-4
08-03-09, 23:08
I just ordered BFG VTAC push button sling in coyote brown and a DD rail mounted push button sling attachment point. :)

RogerinTPA
08-09-09, 19:10
I have 2 VTAC slings and 5 BFG Vickers slings (2 regular, 2 padded, one AK). As others have stated, the tail on VTAC is too long and occasionally gets snagged on other kit. I thought I'd like the VTAC sling, but after a few weeks, I ended up switching back to the Vickers slings, due to ease of manipulation. You can tighten and extend the sling with the same tab, without a tail getting in the way. With the VTAC, you have 2 sets of controls to do the same thing, in 2 different locations, plus you have the tail.

CarlosDJackal
08-10-09, 15:01
I own both and they each have their strengths and weaknesses. I use the VCAS model more because not only have I been using that for the past couple of years, I prefer the materials and the lack of a tail over the VTAC model.

I do prefer the VTAC's adjustment over the VCAS'. If someone would create a tail less version that incorporates the VTAC's adjustment system with the VCAS's materials, I'd probably be be interested. JM2CW.

Shazam
08-15-09, 03:34
As a recent convert I have to throw my 2cents in for the VCAS.

civilian
08-19-09, 21:29
I went out to Iraq and forgot my VCAS and ended up buying a VTAC sling at the Liberty PX. Didn't like it much, mainly because the sling would accidentally loosen on me. Had a couple of my VCAS slings mailed out to me and all was well. Kyle definitely put a lot of thought into his sling, but believe the execution suffered a bit in terms of materials used and some of the small parts by 5.11.