PDA

View Full Version : Sights for the M&P

ConditionYellow45
12-19-10, 10:43
The setup that I'd like to have on my M&P9 is a plain black Heinie Ledge rear and a green Trijicon front. Everywhere I look, though, seems to only sell the "sets" for each type of sight. Does anyone on here know where I can buy these front and rear sights individually?

Also, I am kind of wondering if having a front and rear sight from two different manufacturers is going to lead to having to hold '12 or hold '6 to put rounds where I want them. If anyone has some insight on this, I would appreciate it.

se7en30
12-19-10, 10:52
he might be able to help you, shoot him an email

https://www.wbtactical.com/

javentre
12-19-10, 10:52
two different manufacturers is going to lead to having to hold '12 or hold '6 to put rounds where I want them.Call Heinie and ask them how tall the front sight is for their M&P Ledge set. Then, find an aftermarket front sight of the same height, Dawson usually has various heights.

Be careful about the width too.

jsbcody
12-19-10, 13:12
Another option, which I have on my M&P 40 is the Ameriglos that Grant sells:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=AGLO

Irish10
12-19-10, 14:36
Check Speed Shooters Specialities. They specialize in S&W parts, primarily M&Ps and offer front sights. http://speedshooterspecialties.com/

RancidSumo
12-19-10, 14:54
Thanks Irish, I've been looking for that exact setup all morning.

ConditionYellow45
12-22-10, 13:25
I just called Heinie and ordered my plain black Ledge rear sight.

I saw the ProGlo front sight on GandRTactical's site, and emailed him to see if that front paired with a Heinie Ledge rear would shoot POA-POI. He said he didnt know.

I did some research on it. I found this thread...

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/lofiversion/index.php?t27150.html

A couple of questions....first, the ProGlo looks like it would be fast, but it is also looks really wide....any concerns with precision there?

Second, how tall does the front sight have to be to shoot POA-POI with a Heinie Ledge rear sight?? If I can get the answer to this, I can eventually find the sight that I want.

7PI
12-22-10, 14:43
10-8 Performance

http://www.10-8performance.com/store/index.php?cPath=23

The rear sight is a ledge and the front can be tritium or brass bead. You buy them individually.

The hit POA to POI at 7y.

ConditionYellow45
12-22-10, 15:35
OK.....now I'm in a bind.

Can members on here tell me their preference between the 10-8 plain ledge sight versus the Heinie Ledge?

The only difference I can see is that the 10-8 uses a U-shaped notch while the Heinie is squared.

I wish I could say that I've shot both enough to make the decision for myself, but I haven't. If you guys could help me decide which to go with, I'd appreciate it.

I am, however, wishing to get a front sight that has some sort of outline surrounding the tritium dot. I am also wanting a plain, black, serrated rear with a ledge. I do know that much.

7PI
12-22-10, 18:58
If you don't like the round notch, a few cuts with a small file makes it square.

I transition between the two styles and really can't say I notice a difference. I'm looking at the front sight so the rear notch shape doesn't matter to me. YMMV, so try it out and if you can't stand it, square it off and touch it up with some flat black paint.

FWIW, I open up the notch on all my rear sights to make it easier to find the front sight more quickly. Not advisable for precision shooting, but all I need is a 4" group at 25y. I can do that with the wider notch.

JonnyVain
12-22-10, 23:44
Have you looked at Ameriglo? You can get individual sights. I haven't used them, but I hear a lot of good things about them, and plan on getting a set myself in the near future.

MookNW
01-04-11, 00:03
Say, any word on the height of the G&R ameriglo vs the Heinie? I wanna try it out. I have the Heinie str-8 on my M&P but would like a more evident front sight.

G34Shooter
01-04-11, 10:21
The setup that I'd like to have on my M&P9 is a plain black Heinie Ledge rear and a green Trijicon front. Everywhere I look, though, seems to only sell the "sets" for each type of sight. Does anyone on here know where I can buy these front and rear sights individually?

Also, I am kind of wondering if having a front and rear sight from two different manufacturers is going to lead to having to hold '12 or hold '6 to put rounds where I want them. If anyone has some insight on this, I would appreciate it.

Heinie uses Trijicon's tritium just FYI, call them and ask for what you want.

ilsrwy27
01-05-11, 02:32
You might want to contact Dawson Precision. They sell lots of different front sights (height / width) to accomodate different rear sights including Heinies.
Also if they don't have what you need they can manufacture one for you at a reasonnable price.

kwelz
01-05-11, 08:31
Hey when did Grant switch from the Warren Tacticals?

This makes me sad. :(

I prefer a Trijicon front with a All black rear myself

jonconsiglio
01-05-11, 17:50
The standard M&P height is .165. The 10-8's and the Warrens are both .165, I believe the Heinie is as well.

I use the Heinie ledge or Straight 8's on my 1911's. I use Warren Tactical 2 dot sights on my M&Ps, but I did try a 10-8 and still have a 10-8 rear on my Gen 4 17. I have Ameriglo 3 dots (only 3 dots I have) on my Gen 3 17 and MUCH prefer the .160 U notch Warrens.

The same Warren and 10-8 sights for Glock run at .210. The main difference I've noticed between the Heinie and the 10-8's is the 10-8's are more prone to snagging. The rear 10-8 is a .150 wide U notch where the heinie Ledge is a .140 or the QUIK is a .156, but also square.

Again, after running many thousands of rounds through all of these, I prefer Warren 2 dots on my Glocks and M&Ps and Heinie Ledge on my 1911's. The Heinie fit and finish is very nice (if that matters to you), along with the Warrens, they're a little less prone to snagging than the 10-8's and they're available in Black T finish for a few extra bucks. I wish Warren offered that as an option.

The 10-8's on the M&P at .165 are a little less prone to snagging that the .210 rear on a Glock, but still more so than the other options.

The .160 wide U notch does not hurt accuracy in any way for me out at distance, there's just more space on each side. Here are some images. I'm sure I have a pic of the 10-8's on my M&P, I'll just need to find it and post back.

Warren on M&P
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/IMG_0194-Edit.jpg

10-8 on Glock - Notice the height
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/IMG_0197.jpg

Heinie Ledge on VBOB
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/IMG_8077.jpg

Ledge on VBON and Novak on Nighthawk
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/IMG_8132.jpg

Heinie Slant Pro on Nighthawk
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/PDP3.jpg

Jonathan

Biggy
01-05-11, 18:01
If i was looking to get a new rear sight for my S&W M&P pistol I would definitely wait until Apex Tactical comes out with theirs.

Tennvol12345
01-05-11, 20:27
I run green trijicons on the front and 10-8's on the back in all my MP's. I like the sight setups like this, simple and fast.

dsa
01-06-11, 22:20
Anyone running the Ameriglo Proglo front (.140" wide) with the Warren Tactical rear (.150" wide notch)? I am thinking about trying this out on my M&P FS 9mm and looking for some opinions. Thanks.

nickdrak
01-06-11, 23:29
I have tried the Heinie "Ledge/Straight Eight" tritium sights, Ameriglo, Warren Tactical tritium, 10-8, and the factory Novak's. The Heinie Ledge are my favorite by far.

I ended up butchering a Heinie Ledge rear on one of my M&P9's while removing it while I was experimenting with the Warrens. I called Heinie today and ordered a new tritium rear.

I think the best solution is to get the complete Heinie front/rear Ledge sight set and paint the front sight post Florescent Red:
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/3769/sdc10852.jpg

I find that the paint typically lasts about half the day of a 8 hour training class. I bring the bottle of paint along with some disposable "fine" tipped brushes along in my tool box for touch-ups. A newly painted front sight post lasts me months in my duty holster. I have two identically set-up M&P9's.

DMR
01-07-11, 10:26
I need to get some sling info for a unit today when I saw this:

VTAC sights for the M&P (http://www.vikingtactics.com/sights_mounts.html)
http://www.vikingtactics.com/images/vikingsights-multi.jpg

Looks like they are out now.

javentre
01-07-11, 11:20
Those sights have too many dots for me, two is all I need.

I prefer Heinie Straight Eight Ledge sights

ilsrwy27
01-07-11, 12:41
Holly molly! I prefer 2 dots when possible and I can deal with 3 but that is just too many dots for me to handle...

John W
01-07-11, 14:24
Yikes DMR, thats waaay too many dots. :)

Just purchased warren tactical tritium front/single dot tritium in the back for my M&P based on users feedback here.

I want to make sure these sites are installed properly and accurately and as such I wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks on install of the warren sites.

There is a local smith and wesson service center that charges $50.00 for installation. Is it worth it?

If not, where do you suggest I take these to be installed?

SteveL
01-10-11, 17:25
I ordered Warren Tactical 2 dot sights for both my M&Ps and they arrived today. I'm impressed with the quality. I can't wait to get them installed and shoot with them.

hals1
01-11-11, 18:43
I just ordered a 9mm M&P Pro Series long. Don't have it yet. It comes with Novak sights.

These any good? I haven't seen them mentioned in this thread.

I'm not an "operator", just a regular guy who wants to protect myself in my own home (and out shoot my sons).

I'm also getting older. Anybody know where I can get a good arm stretcher?:D

RogerinTPA
01-11-11, 21:34
I ordered Warren Tactical 2 dot sights for both my M&Ps and they arrived today. I'm impressed with the quality. I can't wait to get them installed and shoot with them.

I have a set of the two dot Warrens on my 9 & 40. Heinie Ledge two dot for my 9c.

gbackus
01-12-11, 00:24
I just ordered a 9mm M&P Pro Series long. Don't have it yet. It comes with Novak sights.

These any good? I haven't seen them mentioned in this thread.

I'm not an "operator", just a regular guy who wants to protect myself in my own home (and out shoot my sons).

I'm also getting older. Anybody know where I can get a good arm stretcher?:D

The novaks are OK, I blacked out the rear sights with a sharpie, as an interim solution while deciding on which sight system to go with, and my sight acquisition speed increased dramatically.

SteveL
01-12-11, 08:26
I have a set of the two dot Warrens on my 9 & 40. Heinie Ledge two dot for my 9c.

Do you have a preference for one over the other? I've never shot with either before and it was a tossup between the Warrens or Heinies. I ended up going with the Warrens because they were cheaper.

RogerinTPA
01-12-11, 22:44
Do you have a preference for one over the other? I've never shot with either before and it was a tossup between the Warrens or Heinies. I ended up going with the Warrens because they were cheaper.

I prefer the Heinies. I shoot my 9c way more accurate. The Warrens have been trail and error for me with for the past year. I think the rear sight is a different height than the Heinies. POA has always been low shooting 115 grains, regardless of who makes the front sight or brand of ammo. The .165 FS results in a low POI on the full size 9 and 40 when using a traditional sight picture (FS centered and flush with the rear sight). I have to align the front dot to be flush with the top of the rear sight, in order to get POA/POI hits. I can't stand that sight picture, but until I find some other sights, I'll have to live with them. The Heinie Ledge sights are listed as the same for both the 9c and the 9. They shoot dead nuts on at all distances to 25 yards with the 9c, but shoot low on the fullsize 9, with 115 grain rounds. 124 grn Winchester, and others, shoot a little higher, but not a true POA/POI. Everyone swears by the Warrens for the U notch having more day light, and I agree, but I still think they are a different height (taller) causing the lower impacts. The stock Novak rear sights are dead nuts on and appear lower that both, but I haven't measured them. I think I'll order a night sight from S&W to see if it'll make a difference in the POI.

jakjakman
01-12-11, 23:11
For some reason the U-notch in the 10-8 sights gives me a big warm fuzzy inside. I do like the 'straight eight' concept of the Heinies though. So for my 1911 I sent off a 10-8 rear sight to Tooltech Gunsight to have them install a tritium vial at the bottom of the notch. It's soooo nice. :D

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e5/jakjakman/1911/xxSDC11653.jpg

SteveL
01-13-11, 12:24
I prefer the Heinies. I shoot my 9c way more accurate. The Warrens have been trail and error for me with for the past year. I think the rear sight is a different height than the Heinies. POA has always been low shooting 115 grains, regardless of who makes the front sight or brand of ammo. The .165 FS results in a low POI on the full size 9 and 40 when using a traditional sight picture (FS centered and flush with the rear sight). I have to align the front dot to be flush with the top of the rear sight, in order to get POA/POI hits. I can't stand that sight picture, but until I find some other sights, I'll have to live with them. The Heinie Ledge sights are listed as the same for both the 9c and the 9. They shoot dead nuts on at all distances to 25 yards with the 9c, but shoot low on the fullsize 9, with 115 grain rounds. 124 grn Winchester, and others, shoot a little higher, but not a true POA/POI. Everyone swears by the Warrens for the U notch having more day light, and I agree, but I still think they are a different height (taller) causing the lower impacts. The stock Novak rear sights are dead nuts on and appear lower that both, but I haven't measured them. I think I'll order a night sight from S&W to see if it'll make a difference in the POI.

Thanks for the reply. I will be having mine installed today or tomorrow. I'll report back when I've had a chance to shoot with them.