PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk Tactical Shotgun?

Pappabear
12-19-10, 16:12
What do you guys think of the Nighthawk, Custom Rem 870, Shotgun. Is that gun worth $1,200? Base gun $500, sights, stocks, finish.......

It feels good in the hand. How much value is there in the upgrades, and work done to the gun for reliability, action or else? I have a Benelli M2, so I was interested in getting a Pump for the stable.

Any thoughts on this gun?

Dos Cylindros
12-19-10, 16:50
I think they are good to go. They are also a good value for the money in my opinion. LPA ghost ring sights, pic rail (though that is like $65 extra), vang dome safety, vang magazine extention and the perma kote finish which beats blue or park any day of the week. In addition, if you order now you get a free vang comp system with ports on the barrel and they also throw in the new magpul shotgun DVD. You might be able to build one for slightly less, but would have to send different parts out to different vendors in order to get the Vang Comp barrle work done and the finish work as well. It's also to my understanding that they do alot of polishing of the actions to slick them up very nice. All in all, I think for a one stop shop they are a good value.

Pappabear
12-19-10, 19:21
Dos, Thats what I thought too. Its kinda like some of these AR's that come with Rails, VFG, new grip...and are good to go for $1,500.

Dos Cylindros
12-19-10, 21:04
Yeah, I recently built a new 870P and when all was said and done the price was not much better than the Nighthawk 870's and I still have not sent the barrel to Vang Comp. All in all I think they are a great package. I have never shot one, but it is an 870 after all so it's a pretty safe bet.

Riight112
12-20-10, 14:32
I was looking at this exact one as well, but am questioning it a bit since this will be my first shotgun. I was thinking along the lines that if I am going to get one, I should get the right one from the start.

What do you guys think? Am I missing out on anything if I don't go with a standard base shotgun?

Pappabear
12-20-10, 15:56
I was looking at this exact one as well, but am questioning it a bit since this will be my first shotgun. I was thinking along the lines that if I am going to get one, I should get the right one from the start.

What do you guys think? Am I missing out on anything if I don't go with a standard base shotgun?

I say if you have the cash, get it done right from a reputable mfg. Many guys love to tinker with their guns and are very good at it. And they learn a lot along the way. I shoot a lot, but I do good to clean my guns properly.

Dos, what sling mounts did you go with?

PB

Dos Cylindros
12-20-10, 16:55
I say if you have the cash, get it done right from a reputable mfg. Many guys love to tinker with their guns and are very good at it. And they learn a lot along the way. I shoot a lot, but I do good to clean my guns properly.

Dos, what sling mounts did you go with?

PB

I have a mesa tactical single poin HK style hook loop which is mounted to the side of my four round mesa shell carrier. I use this to run my Magpul MS2 sling when I need a sling for the gun. The front mount point is the slot type mount that came on the vang comp extention I purchased to replace the factory original mag extention. My 870P is a house gun so it normally does not wear a sling, but if I need to add one, I just clip on my MS2.

Kentucky Cop
12-21-10, 13:35
I wonder why they decided to go with the Remington 1100 for the semi auto. Every officer on my department that runs a Remington semi auto whether it be a 1187 or 1100 has problems with it. Obviously the 870 is the perfect platform to build on, but I would be nervous on the Remington line of autos regardless who pimps them out to run better. I would have thought they would have gone with a different manufacture for the semi.(FN, Benelli etc.) I have yet to watch the Magpul video for shottys, but I do know that someone ran one from Nighthawk in the class. Any thoughts on the 1100 Nighthawk? Curious....

And yes, I may be totally of base with that statement. Just a thought folks..;)

http://www.nighthawktactical.com/Tactical_Semi_Auto.html

KC

controlledpairs2
12-21-10, 14:00
ive got their 870. when i was adding up the accessories, lpa ghost ring and tritium sights, suefire forend, mesa tactical stock adapter and side saddle, etc...

it would have only been 200 bucks difference if i had done everything myself. plus they gave me a free vang comp so that makes it a no brainer in my opinion.

SmokeJumper
12-21-10, 14:03
The 870 looks to be a good deal right now. They offer your choice of an Express Magnum or 870 Police Magnum as the base gun and no charge right now for the Vang Comp barrel. My gun, when done was about the same in cost, no much less.