PDA

View Full Version : SLR106FR range report

MH64
08-15-07, 17:35
Went shooting yesterday. It was around 103 or so outside. 103 in the shade.
Wife took her new/old P7 PSP and new Sig Mosquito pistols along with her AR. I took the SLR106fr and my AIMS74 clone.
The 106 went thru about 200rds of Wolf black box 55gr., 100rds of Barnual 62gr HPs and about 80rds of Rem UMC 55gr. stuff. Everything feed and functioned from the get go with the exception of a couple of mags where the mag release was sticking on the tab on the mag. After working those mags in and out a number of times they got better.
Sights seemed to be right on from the factory. Was hitting 2liter soda bottles at around 100yds or so.
Had replaced the factory stock with a Bulgy triangle stock and the factory muzzle brake with one marked FSE but apparently is the same brake that AKUSA makes. There brake looks identical compared to the factory original with the exception of not being chromed on the inside.

Did I mention that it was hot outside... went thru over 4qts of Gatorade and untold number of water bottles.
Ended up bring back ammo. Normally take what I'm planning to shoot and no extra. It was just too hot outside and no breeze to speak of.

Overall I am very please with the 106. Fit and function are great.
My wife liked it as well. She commented that it has less recoil compared to her 16" AR carbine.

Kisara
08-16-07, 00:44
Thanks for the report. Sounds like your mag issues are the exact same that I'm experiencing, although mine haven't gotten any better with use. The release latch is so tight on some of the mags that I have to bang the latch on the edge of the bench to release it. It just won't budge with a finger.

Why did you change out the factory brake?

MH64
08-16-07, 01:46
The mag issue seems to be 3 of my 10 mags. So I figure this to be a mag issue. Am going to polish the underside of the tabs on those mags and see if that takes care of the issue.
Originally changed out the brake because I was going to but Russian laminate furniture on it and needed to keep the correct parts count. Liked the US plum better and decided to save the Russian wood for a future AK74 build instead.
BTW, the Bulgy brake compared to the US brake, shot a full mag with each back to back, couldn't tell the difference.
Will be using the Bulgy brake from now on and keeping the US one for that future build. Then again I do have a US made copy of the Bulgy 24mm flash hider I've been wanting to try out.
Right now my US parts are the fcg, piston, brake, pistol grip and handguards. Oh and all my Bulgy 5.56 mags have grasshoppers US floorplates. Not authentic looking but a good cheap US part. Also have these on all of my 5.45 mags and my 7.62 waffle mags.

Was really hoping to shoot alot more and really give it a good breaking in with American Eagle and UMC 55gr stuff besides the Wolf and Barnual but am glad that what I did shoot of that stuff went without any issues.

MH64
08-16-07, 01:49
As far as the mag release being too tight on those mags for my finger pressure to release them, a tap with another mag was all it took to release the mags. Just enough more than finger pressure without actually having to bang something really hard on the release.

TOrrock
08-16-07, 09:37
Sounds like a good time, except for the heat.

I've also found the felt recoil to be lower with the 106 vs. a 16" AR shooting the same ammo.

LonghunterCO
08-28-07, 23:44
Take this for what little it is worth, but I have a bulgy 74' that I am converting to .223 and I had the same sticking problem with a couple of my mags. The black ones (double circle 10s) would work without a hitch but the "clear" ones (also double circle 10s) 3 of my 4 would hang up or would fail to always lock up or lock up so tight that I had to bang on the release to get it to let go of the mag. I looking at my black ones, on the back of the mag above the tab there was a smoother transition (less of a pronounced square flat above the tab) right above the tab whereas the clear ones, with issues, had a pronounced, very squareish, flat spot. After alot of fussing and cussing it seemed at I was actually forcing the mag in to the point that the squared area was wedging the in the mag well causing intermitant lock up and difficulty with the mag releasing.
I am a big fan of fixing the rifle and not the mags but a couple of passes with a file thinning/smoothing out that area above the tab fixed all my clear mags up. Again this is on my home build and may not help squat with you all's 106s. It just seems that the clear ones, with issues, have a little bit more meat above the tab.