PDA

View Full Version : Pistol for wife

number1olddog
12-19-10, 17:08
Plain and simple, Ruger LCP or Kel Tec PF9? This will just be a purse gun.

ST911
12-19-10, 17:10
Why not buy her something more enjoyable and useful, that she is apt to shoot more often and develop skill with?

Glocks 19, 26, Sig 239, S&W M&Pc, et al.

number1olddog
12-19-10, 17:13
She has been trying to use my M&P 40c but sais she wants something a little smaller.

kmrtnsn
12-19-10, 17:13
Purse gun? Keep it simple, if you are looking at Rugers look at the LCR, not the LCP.

VooDoo6Actual
12-19-10, 17:24
S&W Mod 640/649

gtmtnbiker98
12-19-10, 17:29
Let her choose, but IMO, a revolver would be a better purse gun.

yellowfin
12-19-10, 17:29
I agree with getting something a bit more functional. A G26 or S&W 6904 is perfect balance between shootability and compactness.

RGoose
12-19-10, 17:30
Purse gun? Keep it simple, if you are looking at Rugers look at the LCR, not the LCP.
I agree with the choice of the LCR over the LCP. HOWEVER, I highly recommend that you let HER choose her own handgun. Take her to a gun store and bug the hell out of the counter jockey. Have her try every handgun until she finds "the one". Her choice may just surprise you.

Kevin P
12-19-10, 17:39
Is your wife sent on a pistol or does it really not matter?

I would add the Ruger sp101 357 mag loaded with some 158gr 38specials for a nice purse gun. The beefier frame would help soak up the recoil. A bobbed hammer sp101 would be a great.

I dont know about your wife but mine has a hard time racking the slide and reaching the controls of some pistols. She has small hands and it is easier for her to work a revolver then a pistol. She has much more confidence with it then a pistol.

Hmac
12-19-10, 17:42
My wife wanted to upgrade from the .380 Colts she's had for years, she opted for a 9mm Walther PPS. Very concealable, even on her (slim, "stylish" clothing). The main attraction for her was the thinness of a single-stack magazine and the grip extension you can get from the various magazines. She looked at Glock and S&W compacts, didn't care for the bulk of the grip and the fact that the grip was so short, without and support for her little finger. I was rooting for the Glock 26 for my Blue Label discount, but she really disliked that particular weapon.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/125884589.jpg

ST911
12-19-10, 17:43
The suggestion to let her pick her own gun is a good one. When that decision is made, it should be made with live fire in addition to dry handling, as a gun will feel and behave differently in both.

She should also seek professional instruction from an instructor that is trained and experienced in the particulars and nuances of the lady shooter.

CLHC
12-19-10, 17:45
She should also seek professional instruction from an instructor that is trained and experienced in the particulars and nuances of the lady shooter.
I don't know but, maybe from the likes of Paxton Quigley?

Bowie Tactical
12-19-10, 18:00
Stick with a M&P but 9c not a 40 and get her out of the useless purse idea. That is a fine place to CARRY a gun but not to fight with it if the fight is coming for you. We have to coach people in the fact that carrying a gun is a lifestyle change not something to be looked at as the easiest way. A revolver always sounds good but is usually a poor choice. Trigger pulls are heavy for most females and unless she is gong to be a shooter and train the sights are hard to use and if the fight goes beyond its capacity then very few will ever get it back in the fight. Where as the Semi auto has a higher load capacity to begin with and the reload much easier. Plan for the worst and its only gets better.

David Bowie

MeanRider
12-19-10, 18:36
Let her pick, but point her toward the S&W J frames.

spdldr
12-19-10, 18:38

In my opinion a woman should never carry a handgun in a purse. Purse snatchers are far more common than rapists.

Like others have mentioned, let her pick within reason. Most women are not particularly mechanical and an auto is threatening to them. The LCP and Kel Tec both have a difficult to retract slide. The trigger should be easily pulled, so I would suggest the LCR over S&W even though it is a little larger.

I have known of only one instance of any caliber being inadequate, and that was a .25 auto against someone who had made extensive threats. BillSWPA wrote me about that one.

If it is too big and or heavy she will leave it home. If it kicks too much, she will be afraid of it. If it is difficult to operate she won't use it. You have a difficult situation!

Cazwell
12-20-10, 00:04
she opted for a 9mm Walther PPS. Very concealable, even on her (slim, "stylish" clothing).

Hmac, where does she carry and in what holster? My wife just recently went with a Kahr PM9 and is currently using a crossbreed mini tuck. However, it does print with certain "slim stylish" jeans and shirts.

Just curious, thanks.

Hmac
12-20-10, 05:49
If she carries IWB, she uses a simple Bianchi sheath at small of back. Otherwise she carries in a belt slide at the appendix, or in her purse.

IWB would be rare for her, just because it's so difficult, but SOB works pretty well with that gun. I'm sure purse carry is likely her default method.

Sry0fcr
12-20-10, 08:33
She has been trying to use my M&P 40c but sais she wants something a little smaller.

IMO Wanting something smaller than a G26 or M&Pc is usually indicative of someone that's either:

A). Not committed to carrying.
B). New to shooting/carrying.
C). A veteran shooter/carrier.

I find that most women fall into the first two categories and generally only bother with carrying/shooting because they're humoring their husband/boyfriend/brother/father (I'm totally generalizing here). It takes time & effort to become a proficient shooter and then those skills need to be maintained, and then carrying a gun on your person is a commitment and a lifestyle choice all on it's own. I'd suggest that you find out her level of seriousness about it before plunking down cash for a gun that she won't learn to use, won't practice with and will sit at the bottom of her purse or get stuffed in the glovebox/center console. If she is serious, she should start out with something she can learn on (mid to fullsize gun) and then when she's developed sufficient skill and confidence she'll be in a better position to chose her own weapon and carry method, I doubt it will be in her purse or a micro pistol. It's part of a natural progression that one goes through through training and enlightenment, I went through it too. I bought an XD9 SC as my first gun 6 years ago and didn't bother to seek training or get my carry license until this year... I didn't know what I didn't know, but now I know now and knowing is half the battle.

MarshallDodge
12-20-10, 10:44
+1 on letting her decide.

Here is a good video she can watch to help pick out ways to carry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

Irish
12-20-10, 11:14
Here is a good video she can watch to help pick out ways to carry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

Fantastic video! Finally a woman who dresses in current fashions that I can show my wife that it is possible for her to keep her style and carry concealed. Thanks Marshall!

Hmac
12-20-10, 13:19
IMO Wanting something smaller than a G26 or M&Pc is usually indicative of someone that's either:

A). Not committed to carrying.
B). New to shooting/carrying.
C). A veteran shooter/carrier.

D) Have small enough hands that the 9c and G26 are too thick to grasp securely, especially without any little finger support. This is the dominant reason for skipping those two firearms in my limited experience with women and handguns (n=2).

Otherwise, I agree with your points. I think your assertion that most women aren't committed to carrying, and do so mostly to soothe boyfriend/husband is absolutely correct.

Sry0fcr
12-20-10, 14:16
D) Have small enough hands that the 9c and G26 are too thick to grasp securely, especially without any little finger support. This is the dominant reason for skipping those two firearms in my limited experience with women and handguns (n=2).

Otherwise, I agree with your points. I think your assertion that most women aren't committed to carrying, and do so mostly to soothe boyfriend/husband is absolutely correct.

Allow me to clarify, I'm talking about overall footprint. The ladies (In my experience) don't usually have a problem gripping the gun it's that they lack the fundamentals to grip it correctly, use the proper stance and manage recoil. Although the grip thickness can be a problem if you have tiny hands but there's some single stacks out there that one should consider before a Ruger LCP (P239, Khar).

dalto
12-20-10, 14:36
The LCP and the PF9 are not the easiest guns to shoot. I would not be comfortable with my wife carrying either of those unless she was seriously committed to training with it.

Super lightweight guns like the LCP, even though they are chambered in 380 have a significant kick. Combined with the tiny grips on these guns and the fact that many women do not have the strongest hands in the world seems like a recipe for the wrong people getting shot.

As others have recommended, going up in size and weight a little bit will help a lot.

CQC.45
12-20-10, 14:57
Stick with a M&P but 9c not a 40 and get her out of the useless purse idea. That is a fine place to CARRY a gun but not to fight with it if the fight is coming for you. We have to coach people in the fact that carrying a gun is a lifestyle change not something to be looked at as the easiest way. A revolver always sounds good but is usually a poor choice. Trigger pulls are heavy for most females and unless she is gong to be a shooter and train the sights are hard to use and if the fight goes beyond its capacity then very few will ever get it back in the fight. Where as the Semi auto has a higher load capacity to begin with and the reload much easier. Plan for the worst and its only gets better.

David Bowie

+1 9c is what my gf uses and she loves it. 9mm is infinitly better than .380 and the M&P platform takes an already tame caliber and makes it even softer. Also agree 100% with method of carry, though it takes a motivated woman to carry on her person, as fashion comes before safety in many of their minds :confused: (no offense to women here, just a personal observation). If you can get your SO to carry on their person than props to you and her.

If size/wieght are still an issue, look into a Kahr PM9. It gives you .380 size with 9mm caliber.

Hmac
12-20-10, 15:33
My wife looked at the PM9, preferred the PPS for the grip. And she shot it better, for whatever reason (longer sight radius, grip, trigger, whatever). I had the impression that the Kahr would be a great pocket gun, or maybe an ankle gun, rather than a holster gun. My wife did tend to shoot low with the PPS. Consistent, but low. I replaced the front sight with the next smaller size (#3 freebie from S&W) and it's now dead-on. European convention for sight picture compared to US is apparently different.

In the end, it was her preference based on feel. Mainly the grip.

http://mccollister.info/PPSvsPM9001.jpg

RogerinTPA
12-20-10, 19:55
1. Show her alternative methods for carrying concealed, especially from another woman or female LEO. Inside vs outside holsters.

2. A concealed carry class where she will shoot 100 rounds or more, practicing malfunction drills, and support/weak hand shooting.

3. Take her to the range, every time you go. It's all about being comfortable with the firearm whether it's a guy or and gal and strive for accuracy.

4. Rent an M&P9c and use the smallest palm swell or backstrap. Put a crimson trace laser on it for her and she will enjoy shooting it more. Also consider the PPS or even an old school Lady Smith single stack in 9mm.
In 380, a PPKS. You want enough gun to handle the recoil for her to enjoy, without turning the shooter/wife off with excessive recoil in smaller mouse guns.

pkowatch
12-20-10, 20:13
My wife looked at the PM9, preferred the PPS for the grip. And she shot it better, for whatever reason (longer sight radius, grip, trigger, whatever). I had the impression that the Kahr would be a great pocket gun, or maybe an ankle gun, rather than a holster gun. My wife did tend to shoot low with the PPS. Consistent, but low. I replaced the front sight with the next smaller size (#3 freebie from S&W) and it's now dead-on. European convention for sight picture compared to US is apparently different.

In the end, it was her preference based on feel. Mainly the grip.

http://mccollister.info/PPSvsPM9001.jpg

I've got the Ruger LCP and the Walther PPS (I didn't know it, but I guess I carry girl guns!). Anyway, I would probably recommend that my wife carry the PPS before the LCP anyday. They are both great guns, and I carry them both often. I like the LCP because it disappears in my front pocket. The PPS is slightly larger and heavier, but it will take up no room in a purse. The PPS will have much less felt recoil, and will be much more fun to shoot. Also, the PPS is nice and slim, and should fit her hands great. Plus, she will be carrying a 9mm or .40 instead of a .380.

S-1
12-20-10, 21:13
My wife carried a G26 until she shot my SIGs. She was more accurate with them than with her G26 or my G19. So that range trip ended up costing me a few more $$ than I anticipated.

I've bought her a few ITWB holsters but she doesn't use them, and typically carries in her purse. I've tried to get her to carry on her person but she says that her style of clothing doesn't allow it. I figure a gun in the purse is better than nothing.

Here's her new handgun... P239 SAS 2-tone, NS, SRT and short trigger. I will be adding a set of Crimson Trace grips in the near future.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6948/dscf4000o.jpg

varoadking
12-21-10, 16:05
Pistol for wife...

Congrat's...great trade... :sarcastic:

1_click_off
12-21-10, 16:34
Always let the women pick their guns.....

I've got a Taurus Ultralite 851 38spl that has only been fired 3 times.

rat31465
01-30-11, 05:15
First let me say that I am a Revolver guy...I prefer shooting a Revolver over anything else. But I have to disagree on the recommedation of a Revolver for a off body Purse gun. If your wifes purse is anything like my wifes the it is full of many small and loose items. Items that might find their way into cylinders, nooks and crannies of a revolver and set up a scenario for a malfunction.
Yeah, there is always the option of holstering the Revolver inside the purse, or keeping it in a unused compartment...but that kind of detracts from the availability and ability to draw it cleanly and quickly....

Hmac
01-30-11, 07:06

Walther PPS (better grip ergonomics) or, if you feel lucky, a Kahr PM9. I personally wouldn't own a Kahr, but the respective reputations are that, as potentially bad as it is, it's still more reliable than that Ruger or any KelTec.

SiGfever
01-30-11, 10:48
I too am in the same boat trying to find a pistol for the wife. My PM9 is too difficult for her to rack (5' 115lbs and having had shoulder surgery). I tried my G33 for her to handle to simulate a G26 and she seems to do o-k with it and with practice is able to rack the slide fully.

I also have a Taurus 85BUL in .38 Special but I am afraid the bite will ruin her from wanting to shoot and carry. Plus carrying lose in a purse might be an issue. Why M&P does not come out with a small single stack 9mm with those great scalloped slide grips I do not understand. There is a tremendous market for a small auto that a petite woman can rack, shoot, and comfortably carry. JMHO

LHQuattro
01-30-11, 17:44
There's plenty of purses out there designed for carrying guns, with compartments specifically for carrying a gun. Carry the gun in its compartment, with nothing else in there to get in the trigger guard, etc. Also, go the extra step and use a kydex trigger guard holster, like the RCS Vanguard. Its on a short leash, so that as the gun is pulled out of the purse, the Vanguard pulls off the trigger guard and you're ready to fire.

With that combination, there's no reason not to go with a more effective, usefull gun like a Glock 19, or even a full size gun. That's the one good thing about purse carry, concealing a big gun is not an issue.
Why anybody would choose a little .380 for purse carry is beyond me. Unless you just absolutely have to have a 12 oz gun....why?

knights77
02-01-11, 22:27
Best is to let her try them at the gun store so she can choose which fits her hand. But remember without practice in high stress situations she might be better off with a S&W J frame Model 340 in 357. It is slim and small and under 12 oz.

LHQuattro
02-02-11, 11:08
Best is to let her try them at the gun store so she can choose which fits her hand. But remember without practice in high stress situations she might be better off with a S&W J frame Model 340 in 357. It is slim and small and under 12 oz.

Carefull on that one....she's liable to come back with a Sig Mosquito or Beretta cougar or Taurus anything. There's little correlation between what works well and what feels good in the gun store. Sure, she's should be to be able to reach an manipulate controls....but generally a new shooter is going to have no idea what a good fit is by just picking up a gun, especially without shooting it under the watchfull eye of someone competent.

Get her a 12 oz. .357 J-frame, and she'll shoot it once.
And then she'll never want to shoot another gun as long as she lives.

knights77
02-02-11, 11:23
Carefull on that one....she's liable to come back with a Sig Mosquito or Beretta cougar or Taurus anything. There's little correlation between what works well and what feels good in the gun store. Sure, she's should be to be able to reach an manipulate controls....but generally a new shooter is going to have no idea what a good fit is by just picking up a gun, especially without shooting it under the watchfull eye of someone competent.

Get her a 12 oz. .357 J-frame, and she'll shoot it once.
And then she'll never want to shoot another gun as long as she lives.

Little correlation but it is a fact. If you cannot manipulate the pistol or reach the controls in a regular setting then when the s**t hits the fan you are going to be in a world of hurt. That is also why I did stress training. And that is also why most gun stores or ranges let you try them first. As for the J frame i hope you are not speaking for yourself. My gf carries one just fine in her 5'4" 115lb frame.

kmrtnsn
02-02-11, 11:31
My 5' tall, 100lb wife loves her 340PD in .357.

LHQuattro
02-02-11, 13:11
Little correlation but it is a fact. If you cannot manipulate the pistol or reach the controls in a regular setting then when the s**t hits the fan you are going to be in a world of hurt. That is also why I did stress training. And that is also why most gun stores or ranges let you try them first. As for the J frame i hope you are not speaking for yourself. My gf carries one just fine in her 5'4" 115lb frame.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote there. But there's a big difference between carrying well and shooting well. In general, I view J-frames as 1) an expert's guns, or 2) a totally simple gun to have handy for people that aren't ever going to practise (a gun for non-gun people)....with not insignificant inherent danger to anybody downrange - a product of being very difficult to shoot well.

Sounds like your girlfriend is a pretty hardy lady. More power to her.

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a totally frustrated lady (or man) trying to learn to shoot with a J-frame though.....its painfull to watch. They've got a valid place, but they are extremely difficult to shoot well, and unpleasant to boot.

And no, I shoot revolvers reasonably proficiently. Haven't made master yet in IDPA SSR, but that's the next division to knock out. Probably won't do it with a J-frame though....I'm not that tough :)

Kool Aid
02-02-11, 19:52

LCP. I have both. The PF9 barks and bites much more than the LCP, and it is harder to conceal. With the LCP, she'll be more likely to carry it on her person and less likely to leave it in a purse, car or gym locker. My wife likes to shoot my M&P 9c and P30, but she'd never carry something so large.

PdxMotoxer
02-02-11, 22:36
I have all of the above and can tell ya my wife (now ex) HATES my PF9!!!!
When the LCP came out we bought two and love em' both.
(as a summer light carry pistol)

Fall/Winter/Spring when i actually wear jeans I OWB a M&P9c or Kel-Tec PF9

She switches between her LCP and bought a Taurus PT140.
(i tried to talk her out of Taurus but in the end it was HER choice)
So far it has been a great shootin lil gun.

As for "purse carry" she just searches for one that has an outside
easy access pocket to hold her gun and only her gun.

Most these days have pockets for pda's of iphones and the LCP
does fit into some of those.

spd707
02-19-11, 21:20
I'll throw in a vote for the Ruger LCP.

M4Fundi
02-20-11, 04:23
How do you comment on Youtube videos? I'm trying to give her a positive comment and I get "error, try again" ....... WTF, Over?

Pistol Shooter
02-20-11, 11:38
Let your wife pick her pistol (with guidance of course ;)).

Find something that fits her hand, meaning that she can put the proper part of her finger on the trigger and can reach all of the controls.

She should also be able to shoot it fairly well.

IMO, it should be at least a 9mm/.38 Special or larger in caliber.

Good luck.

masakari
02-20-11, 16:48
My wife wanted to upgrade from the .380 Colts she's had for years, she opted for a 9mm Walther PPS. Very concealable, even on her (slim, "stylish" clothing). The main attraction for her was the thinness of a single-stack magazine and the grip extension you can get from the various magazines. She looked at Glock and S&W compacts, didn't care for the bulk of the grip and the fact that the grip was so short, without and support for her little finger. I was rooting for the Glock 26 for my Blue Label discount, but she really disliked that particular weapon.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/125884589.jpg

I say subcompact glock.
by the way... what pistol is that on the left?

Hmac
02-20-11, 16:56
I say subcompact glock.
by the way... what pistol is that on the left?

I was rooting for the G26 (LE discount) but the Glock was an absolute no-go. Grip too fat, no pinky support. She hated it and the M&P 9c.

The black one is a Colt Mark IV Series 80 Government Model. Bigger size version of the stainless/aluminum Nitelite Mustang on the right.

Tomahawk_Ghost
02-20-11, 17:39
I agree with the choice of the LCR over the LCP. HOWEVER, I highly recommend that you let HER choose her own handgun. Take her to a gun store and bug the hell out of the counter jockey. Have her try every handgun until she finds "the one". Her choice may just surprise you.

I was always a J frame man until my niece showed up with one of these wanting to shoot. It surprised me. For it's intended purpose it's a good gun.