PDA

View Full Version : Ambi Mag release buttons, which ones do you prefer.

RSviper
12-19-10, 19:38
I'm a right hander, but my dominate eye is on my left and I've always shot rifle left handed.

Which Ambi Mag release buttons are the best drop in replacement? I have a lower with the KAC ambi release on one of my lowers, but it's difficult to push at times. I know I need to do trigger finger exercises, but are there any out there that feel more like the right side pressure but on the left?

CLHC
12-19-10, 20:03
Maybe:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54755

RSviper
12-19-10, 20:22
Maybe:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54755

Helpful thread, but i'm looking for some direct comparisons with the norgon and KAC for pressure. Seems the way the norgon is built it would be actually harder to press, but that's just from visual looks and no actual experience with both.

seb5
12-19-10, 20:25
If you're going to shoot left handed there is only one answer. The Norgon was the answer 10 years ago. The KAC and Power Custom are actually better for right handed shooters. The Troy has almost the same geomotry as the integrasted KAC SR-15 ambi lower. There is really no comparison. All 5 of my lowers now have them except the Knights SR-15.

RSviper
12-19-10, 21:28
If you're going to shoot left handed there is only one answer. The Norgon was the answer 10 years ago. The KAC and Power Custom are actually better for right handed shooters. The Troy has almost the same geomotry as the integrasted KAC SR-15 ambi lower. There is really no comparison. All 5 of my lowers now have them except the Knights SR-15.

the troy looks like it's a nice piece of work. Simple too. How easy is it to manipulate?

Tango374
12-19-10, 21:47
seb5-
you saying you tried 'em all and the Norgon is the way to go?

seb5
12-19-10, 22:05
seb5-
you saying you tried 'em all and the Norgon is the way to go?

I've tried them all and the Troy is the way to go. The Norgon is very small and takes a lot of dexterity to hit because it's so small and a strong finger to hit hard enough to release the mag every time. If you hit the Norgon perfectly it works. If you don't hit it just right you just blew your mag change. The troy works almost just like a factory mag release. It is much more positive than any of the others. The KAC and Power seem to work better for right handers using their left thumb for a tac load vs. a speed load or load from bolt lock. As a left hander that shoots a lot I worked on reloads and could be fast but not as fast as a decent right hander. With the Troy I am much faster.

Tango374
12-19-10, 23:03
The big thing thats been holding me back from ordering the Troy over the Norgon is that (keep in mind my research here is solely from viewing pictures online) I fear that I may be "reaching" too far to engage the Troy release. Where the Norgon appears to be positioned closer to my firing hand.
I don't have small hands, but I don't have large hands either.
I take it that isn't an issue then for you?

I steered away from the Troy release for that reason alone, but I may come back to it now.
Norgon's release has less realestate to find. I've read more then a few accounts of it being a much "heavier" release. And of coarse the price being what...$30 more?

ErikTaylor
12-20-10, 02:45
I like the Troy because it's a model that you can use the B.A.D. with. I can't remember which model it was but they got in the way of each other.

seb5
12-20-10, 07:15
The big thing thats been holding me back from ordering the Troy over the Norgon is that (keep in mind my research here is solely from viewing pictures online) I fear that I may be "reaching" too far to engage the Troy release. Where the Norgon appears to be positioned closer to my firing hand.
I don't have small hands, but I don't have large hands either.
I take it that isn't an issue then for you?

I steered away from the Troy release for that reason alone, but I may come back to it now.
Norgon's release has less realestate to find. I've read more then a few accounts of it being a much "heavier" release. And of coarse the price being what...$30 more?

I have medium to small hands. The Troy is easier to utilize, period. You should try what you want, I certainly have. But because of the geomotry the Troy is easier to use than the Norgon.

DiabhailGadhar
02-24-11, 00:42
Good evening Chief,

I was just wondering, from the pictures I've seen it looks like the rear of the Troy release is actually the pivot point to pull the other side of the button in, I'm getting one as soon as possible regardless but I was wondering if that scratches up your lower's at all? Thank you for your time.

seb5
02-24-11, 07:20
Well.......sorta. where the release actually pivots and rests on the lower it will leave a wear mark on the anodizing. The pivoting latch doesn't touch your lower. I sold a lower and replaced the Troy with a standard release and you could see where it had worn the finish. I was prepared to buy 3 or 4 KAC lowers at $700.00 each until I tried the Troy. As a lefty it puts me on a level playing field with the rrest of the world as far as ergo's go, maybe better as I have a built in BAD lever in my trigger finger!

DiabhailGadhar
02-24-11, 07:44
GTG, thanks. I'll be ordering one ASAP..

Dave L.
02-24-11, 13:36
I'm a lefty...
I have a KAC ambi-safety on one of my lowers and I really don't like it. When I take my finger out of the mag well, my finger extends well past the part that you press. It's not like I have monster hands either (size large in Mechanix gloves).
It's a quality product, I'm just not a fan of the ergonomics.

I have been wanting to try the Troy ambi-mag release just for fun. I refuse to spend any serious money changing out all my lowers and ****ing up years of muscle memory. To include buying ridiculous parts like the B.A.D. (Idea) Lever.

seb5
02-24-11, 16:11
I'm a lefty...
I have a KAC ambi-safety on one of my lowers and I really don't like it. When I take my finger out of the mag well, my finger extends well past the part that you press. It's not like I have monster hands either (size large in Mechanix gloves).
It's a quality product, I'm just not a fan of the ergonomics.

I have been wanting to try the Troy ambi-mag release just for fun. I refuse to spend any serious money changing out all my lowers and ****ing up years of muscle memory. To include buying ridiculous parts like the B.A.D. (Idea) Lever.

Yup, I agree with most of your post. I will add that over the last 3 years I've been playing with ambi safeties and mag releases to the extent all of my carbines now have them. That's after over 20 years of muscle memory. What part is ridiculous? For a right hander the BAD is probably a good thing just like the ambi safety and mag release is for a lefty.

Gutshot John
02-24-11, 17:31
The Norgon is very small and takes a lot of dexterity to hit because it's so small and a strong finger to hit hard enough to release the mag every time.

While I don't dispute that Troy or KAC may be a superior design, this is overstating the case quite a bit.

If properly installed the Norgon doesn't require any more dexterity or force to use it than it would to use the standard mag release.

kartoffel
02-24-11, 18:42

Troy for me, too. It's the closest thing to a mirror image mag release button. I don't care about the left side mag release when I'm shooting right handed, but I sure as hell want it to be in the "correct" location when I'm shooting southpaw. That's what it's there for!

cop1211
02-24-11, 18:42
I'm a lefty and have had the Norgon,KAC, and the Troy.

I like the Troy the best. I think its the easiest to use. I liked the KAC, and didnt like the Norgon.

seb5
02-24-11, 20:53
While I don't dispute that Troy or KAC may be a superior design, this is overstating the case quite a bit.

If properly installed the Norgon doesn't require any more dexterity or force to use it than it would to use the standard mag release.

That's why there are so many designs. Have you tried the Troy? The only reason I ask is as a long time Norgon user who now uses Troy I can emphatically say the Troy takes less finger pressure or strength to activate. We might have to agree to disagree as I don't think this is something worth arguing about. If you've tried both and prefer the Norgon then it is what you should have.

Gutshot John
02-24-11, 21:04
That's why there are so many designs. Have you tried the Troy? The only reason I ask is as a long time Norgon user who now uses Troy I can emphatically say the Troy takes less finger pressure or strength to activate. We might have to agree to disagree as I don't think this is something worth arguing about. If you've tried both and prefer the Norgon then it is what you should have.

You're confusing my statement with criticism of the Troy when nothing could be further from the truth. I wasn't making any comparison so I don't see why I need to use both to offer an opinion.

As I said I don't dispute that Troy might be a better design. In fact I can see the advantages when comparing the two ambi designs and I'll probably end up getting one. That's not what I'm questioning however.

If you want to say that the Troy is easier to find and requires less pressure to use than the Norgon, more power to you and I won't argue it. However that's not what you said. I didn't say you were wrong, simply "overstating the case."

Saying that the Norgon requires "a lot" of strength/dexterity to use, is flawed, especially when it's no more difficult than the standard AR mag release. I've run several Norgons hard over the years and have never had a complaint. They are easy to find during manipulations and easy to employ even when wearing gloves.

Lots of nonsense gets perpetrated on the web especially by people who read a seemingly innocuous remark such as yours without clarification and take it as gospel. Before you know it Norgon's suck and will kill you in a gunfight.

DiabhailGadhar
03-04-11, 23:19
Will the Troy clear kns anti roll pins Gen 2? Thanks

seb5
03-05-11, 09:01
Will the Troy clear kns anti roll pins Gen 2? Thanks

Yes, no problem, but put some thought into whether you need the pins or not. Most of us that have them or did have them didn't really need them.

DiabhailGadhar
03-06-11, 17:05
Yes, no problem, but put some thought into whether you need the pins or not. Most of us that have them or did have them didn't really need them.

Yep I'm on the list...call me shallow but I may have done it a little bit for looks...Chief where did you buy your Troy's if I might ask?

seb5
03-06-11, 17:28
I usually get Troy items from Troy directly, SKD Tac, G&R Tac, or Braco Co. On the ambi mag releases Troy has been my best bet followed by SKD.

Toyoland66
03-06-11, 21:15
Aim also has them back in stock, just to give another option

DiabhailGadhar
03-07-11, 10:49
Whats aim? is that short for something? I tried googling it but came up with nothing...Also I emailed G&R a while back about the Troy and they said they dont carry it. I also checked bravo and I didnt see it on their website.

Chief--did Troy give you a military discount and if so could you tell me what it was?

Toyoland66
03-07-11, 10:53
AIM Surplus, I have received good service from them in the past and they usually have free shipping.

bnanaphone
03-07-11, 18:57
I will second AIM surplus. I have always had great service and they offer really good deals. Just ordered one last night, looking forward to try it out.

seb5
03-07-11, 20:21
Whats aim? is that short for something? I tried googling it but came up with nothing...Also I emailed G&R a while back about the Troy and they said they dont carry it. I also checked bravo and I didnt see it on their website.

Chief--did Troy give you a military discount and if so could you tell me what it was?

Yes, 10% I think. I usually wait for free shipping or a sale and load up.

DiabhailGadhar
04-09-11, 23:18
Chief,
I got the Troys through AIM, got them shipped for under $60 I don't think that can be beat. Mounted it and the feel is amazing right where I would want it! Haven't put her through the paces yet but I will ASAP. thanks for the input

Sgt O'B

will_dearborn919
08-10-11, 09:09
Alright I do have small hands, a meduim in most gloves, I've tried the Troy, and didn't like it because my finger was just a hair to short to comfortably engage it. That and the roll pin fell out the second time out shooting it. I contactected Troy and they fixed it but I still don't like it. I have strong fingers from working on cars so finger pressure isn't an issue. Which ambi-catch would be suited for someone like me? I think the kac would work but not 100%.