PDA

View Full Version : M&P Sear Housing Block Question

JacksonDavion
12-19-10, 22:50
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I wasn't able to find anything...

Is it possible to swap a non-manual safety sear housing block into a gun that has/had a manual safety?

I ask this because it doesn't seem to be working right for me. I originally removed the manual safety and was using grip plugs to cover the holes in the frame, but recently I wanted an extra housing block for a spare. I was only able to find a non-manual safety version (also no lock or mag safety). I thought this was great, but I seem to be unable to get it to seat correctly in my gun's frame. It seems to have a lot of wiggle room while the old manual safety block is tight.

Any ideas/thoughts? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

beastfrog
12-20-10, 05:18
45 or 9/40/357? The blocks are different. Other than that did you put the ejector back on?

JacksonDavion
12-20-10, 05:45
The original and new blocks are 9mm. I also bought the correct ejector for the new sear block since it is different than the one for the manual safety model. The ejector fit fine into the new sear housing, but that assembly didn't seem to fit well in the gun. Again, if other people have done this and haven't had an issue, I'll try again. I just don't want to sit here trying to put the round block in the square hole.

DocGKR
12-20-10, 12:38
We have swapped out numerous blocks without issue.

Irish10
12-20-10, 13:43
Just curious is the ejector that came with the new housing smaller than the original? I had this same issue about three weeks ago but just swapped out the ejectors and it fit perfectly. The newer ejector is not only shorter but taller and would not fit the slide on my 357sig M&P. Originally I thought they had sent me one for a compact when I first saw it but I confirmed that it's just a newer ejector. AFAIK, all the 9/40/357 sear blocks are the same width so it should be a direct replacement.

JacksonDavion
12-20-10, 16:17
Ok, I think I figured it out. I spent another hour messing with it. I realized that the issue was coming from the ejector being able to twist while in the frame and prevent the housing from seating properly. It looks like my frame plug got chewed up (I have no idea how) and I think the wings on this plug are supposed to fit flush against the ejector and hold it in place. When I still had the manual safety housing in, I thought the plugs were just for looks, but if I'm understanding it correctly they seem to hold the non-safety ejector against the housing and in line with the slide. Does that seem right? (If so I'm going to order a new set of plugs.)