PDA

View Full Version : What to do to improve reliability of LE6920?

blackgt85
12-19-10, 23:09
I just purchased my new Colt LE6920 this past Friday. I have been doing lots of searches and have done alot of reading on this forum about it. The search results I came up with are somewhat dated, so I have no idea if Colt uses different parts now. All I have found about improving the reliability of the LE6920 is to send it to Ken Elmore at SAW for the "Reliability Package". Is this my best choice to have done with this rifle? I plan on doing alot of shooting with this rifle and also for Home Defense purposes, so someday my life could depend on it not malfunctioning.... Thank you.

Justin

Robb Jensen
12-19-10, 23:17
Personally I wouldn't do anything but maybe use an H2 buffer with a Colt 6920 but that's just me.

Don Robison
12-19-10, 23:17
I would suggest shooting it for a while to see if it needs anything done to it. The only thing mine has needed to remain reliable is an occasional cleaning.

ETA:
Looks like Robb beat me to the keyboard.

MookNW
12-19-10, 23:18
I would run it like a MF for awhile and see if anything isn't reliable. Colts are prettygood box stock IMO ( at least mine has been) The only problem I had with it was Tula ammo.

TehLlama
12-19-10, 23:20
Use GOOD magazines, decent ammunition, and apply lube properly. It is that simple.

blackgt85
12-19-10, 23:27
Cool. I purchased 2 Magpul PMags (30 rd) and don't plan on ever running any steel cased ammo through it, so hopefully that will help. Guess I'll run it for a while and see if anything pops up. Thanks.

Justin

FChen17213
12-19-10, 23:54
The Colt 6920 is a great gun that will serve you well. Just keep it well lubed and you should be fine. Also use good mags like Magpul Pmags, Tango Down, and just standard GI mags with good followers.

nickdrak
12-19-10, 23:58
Clean it. Liberally lubricate it. Feed it quality ammo from quality, properly functioning magazines and you will have a weapon that you can trust your life to.

blackgt85
12-20-10, 00:04
I'm glad I did my research before purchase! Funny thing was, before I read of the reliability of the Colts, I wanted a Colt. The LE6920 caught my eye over the "tricked out" BM's, DPMS's, Sabre's, Oly's, and RRA's. I knew if the US military has trusted Colt since the early 60's, I could trust them. Glad I made the purchase, but have only one problem.... I CAN'T WAIT TO FIRE THIS BEAUTY!

Justin

MistWolf
12-20-10, 00:21
I'm glad I did my research before purchase! Funny thing was, before I read of the reliability of the Colts, I wanted a Colt. The LE6920 caught my eye over the "tricked out" BM's, DPMS's, Sabre's, Oly's, and RRA's. I knew if the US military has trusted Colt since the early 60's, I could trust them. Glad I made the purchase, but have only one problem.... I CAN'T WAIT TO FIRE THIS BEAUTY!

Justin

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1754031

89hits
12-20-10, 01:23
they said. Try it awhile.

Failure2Stop
12-20-10, 01:28
Properly lubricate.
Use PMags.

Iraqgunz
12-20-10, 03:06
You shouldn't have any issues with decent quality steel cased ammo. Most good AR's work fine with it. My BCM SBR gobbles up Hornady 55gr. steel cased TAP ammo all day long.

Cool. I purchased 2 Magpul PMags (30 rd) and don't plan on ever running any steel cased ammo through it, so hopefully that will help. Guess I'll run it for a while and see if anything pops up. Thanks.

Justin

Army Chief
12-20-10, 04:55
Justin,

The whole point of buying quality up front is that you shouldn't need to do anything after-the-fact to insure proper function.

Pay attention to your magazines (just as you would with any semi-automatic firearm), and keep the rifle lubricated, and you should be all set.

AC

Whootsinator
12-20-10, 06:11
Don't pull away from steel cased ammo so fast. There's good steel cased and there's bad brass cased.

The_War_Wagon
12-20-10, 06:56
Replace stock and forearm to taste, add sling and optic, shoot the beejebus out of - enjoy! :cool:

tactical1
12-20-10, 07:21
Good cleaning kit, good cleaning techniques and a bore quide - lot of different stands and cradles to support the rifle while cleaning. Lula mag loaders are handy.

Congratulations and enjoy

RogerinTPA
12-20-10, 07:38
Buy ammo, good mags, lube, shoot 1K through it, take a training course.

bigbore40
12-20-10, 08:49
Don't pull away from steel cased ammo so fast. There's good steel cased and there's bad brass cased.

what do you consider good steel cased ammo ?

sammage
12-20-10, 08:58
what do you consider good steel cased ammo ?

Hornady training ammo....though my BCM runs all steel case I've tried.

strambo
12-20-10, 09:40
I was just gonna say shoot the snot out of it...but now that Robb mentioned it, an H or H2 buffer would be the most I'd do to it. Nice carbine, have fun.

GermanSynergy
12-20-10, 11:47
That is all I did with mine, as well as adding a BCM Gunfighter CH.

I love my Colts! :D

Personally I wouldn't do anything but maybe use an H2 buffer with a Colt 6920 but that's just me.