PDA

View Full Version : ATS Cobra Pack owners?

Schuey2002
12-20-10, 03:57
I was recently in the market for a small PALS-covered pack to use as an extra Grab-no-Go/Do-Whatever pack, and so I ended up snagging an ATS Tactical Cobra pack (in ACU) off their website today.

I kept finding various posts on the interwebs about how ATS was blowing out their remaining stock of Cobra packs in ACU, so I caved and bought one. They had me at "Hello!", errrrrr I mean "$50"! :D

And while ACU is not really muh thang, I figured that I could just Rit Dye this sucker dark green or brown. You know, if and/or when I get tired of looking at the ACU..

While I was placing my order, I caved to temptation and also added a large ATS Utility pouch (in MC) to my order to cling to the back of this sucker (or maybe tuck inside?) It was inevitable, I was bound to buy one some day, so why not just add it to my cart while I was there?

This will be my 4th piece of ATS gear purchased in just the past week. It started with an innocent purchase of their small upright GP pouch (in MC). Then came their ATS Medical Insert to stuff inside the GP pouch. I swear, their gear is worse than crack! :o

Anyhoo, while I wait for the Big Brown Truck of Joy to drop off my new Cordura goodness, I was wondering if any of you that own this pack wouldn't mind sharing some pics of your own Cobra? I would also love to see how you have it outfitted with pouches, patches, and other stuff..

If you want to just chime in about how you love, or just sorta like, or even how you really don't care for this pack at all. Feel free to chime in. Thanks! :)

Schuey2002
12-21-10, 01:46

SeriousStudent
12-21-10, 10:15
I have one of the ACU models on order as well.

I've got three boxes of black RIT dye, and a big tub of water to boil. ;)

I was thinking of putting a flashlight pouch on the side, and having my cobbler sew a few rows of Velcro loops on the inside of the pack. My thinking was to use some of the Blue Force Gear DAP pouches that way.

http://www.blueforcegear.com/products/Large-Laptop-Sleeve-Dapper.html

It's amazing what you can put in a laptop sleeve, and pass a cursory visual inspection at work. ;)

The vast majority of the laptop messenger style bags, and backpacks where I work are black ballistic nylon. So this should blend in, after the dye job.

And I am looking at one of these three as an outside pouch:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/TRIAD-ADMIN-POUCH-7p479.htm#details

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/TacTile-Pocket-Large-7p428.htm

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/MONKEY-COMBAT-ADMIN-POUCH-7p451.htm

Schuey2002
12-21-10, 14:01
It looks like you have a nice assortment of pouches picked out for your pack. Black should blend in well in an office environment.. :)

I'm thinking a dark brown color would look good on this pack. Sort of a Hershey Bar color. But, if that fails, a package of dark green will be on standby. Rit Dye has different color samples on their website, and they even tell you what color to mix in order to achieve that particular color. So I might do a little bit of experimenting.. :o

As far as what pouches that I will end up attaching to this pack, I still haven't fully decided yet. Since I'll mainly be using this in a rural setting, I have a ton of freedom to attach whatever I want. I do know this, the large GP pouch that I ordered with this pack will probably go on the outside, near on the bottom. And maybe I'll pick up an Admin pouch of some sort to mount above it. My small upright GP pouch will go on either side, with either a Nalgene or a medical insert tucked inside.

Then there is what to mount on the inside? I still haven't figured out what to do in there yet. Maybe I'll look at some of those mesh pockets by Kifaru. Who knows? *shrug*

SeriousStudent
12-21-10, 14:13
It's a good thing you bought it when you did. I just checked the ATS website, and they are all gone now.

Schuey2002
12-21-10, 14:42
Sweet! It looks like I just made it in under the wire... :p

Shane1
12-23-10, 12:35
I picked up[ one of the clearance ones also. Why you ask? $50.00 is the answer. I have 2 RAIDs, a Kifaru, BFG DAP and a shitton of other bags but I couldnt pass up on the Cobra, even if it is in the worst pattern in the world. I hope you guys post some pics when you dye your, Id like to see how they turn out.

Schuey2002
12-23-10, 15:40
I will post something. I still need to pick up some dye for it.

Thinking about trying some Jacquard Acid Dye, since it is made for dyeing nylon instead of cotton, like Rit Dye is. But we'll see. I may just end up spray painting it! :eek: *shrug*

SeriousStudent
12-23-10, 16:10
I will post something. I still need to pick up some dye for it.

Thinking about trying some Jacquard Acid Dye, since it is made for dyeing nylon instead of cotton, like Rit Dye is. But we'll see. I may just end up spray painting it! :eek: *shrug*

Interesting. I did not know about that brand. Something nylon-specific sounds like a great idea. I'll be interested to know your results.

I got the pack this morning. It's pretty well made, like the other pieces of ATS gear I have.

A friend has a lot more experience dying fabrics than me - since I have none. I'll be at their place this weekend, and will post some notes on how it works.

Schuey2002
12-23-10, 16:29
Yeah, I had not heard of that type of acid dye either until someone posted about it awhile back over on TOS. I guess the key is to use some vinegar in the dyeing process as an acid..

They have a whole section on their website on how to use it, including how to dye on top of your stove. They even have their own forums too..

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/aciddye/instructions2.php

Tweightwee
12-24-10, 11:03
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww253/tweightwee/LBE005-1.jpg
ATS Cobra Pack
On each side, an ATS Small Upright GP.

On the front, An ATS CLAP and an HSGI Modular Adnin.

On the PALS inside for some additional organization, a Tactical Tailor Accessory V1, and an HSGI Mini Modular Radio/Ult.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww253/tweightwee/LBE003-1.jpg
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww253/tweightwee/LBE004.jpg

I take this to work with me and use it as a combination , portable office, lunch box,'get home bag'.
Mostly the first two. Make no mistake. It is not a B.O.B.

SeriousStudent
12-24-10, 13:00
Thanks for the pics. I like that HSGI pouch. I was looking at some Kifaru pouches last night as well.

Shane1
12-24-10, 13:40
Im thinking krylon too if dyeing doesnt work. Then cover it with a bunch of MC pouches.:laugh:

Schuey2002
12-24-10, 15:09
Thanks for posting those pics of your awesome multicam Cobra, Tweightwee! :D

I am going to set mine up in a similiar fashion. I just need to pick up an Admin pouch to mount above my Large GP pouch on the outside...

Thanks for the pics. I like that HSGI pouch. I was looking at some Kifaru pouches last night as well.
I am thinking about picking up a Kifaru mesh pocket to mount inside (on the top) to put lickies and chewies in..

Tweightwee
12-24-10, 17:45
I used to have an ATS large GP in place of the HSGI admin.
That thing is a huge pouch.
I found that I would unconsciously overload it and it threw the CG way out.
Just something to be aware of.

Schuey2002
12-24-10, 17:51
Thanks! That is good to know.

If that does end up being the case, I can always mount it on the inside. Or, even on something else all together... ;)

Schuey2002
12-25-10, 17:48
Tweightwee, how do you like that ATS CLAP? Does it have good organization in it? Or is it just a pocket and a zippered pouch?

I was thinking about buying one, but I still can't decided between it or the Milspec Monkey Stealth Admin pouch...

Tweightwee
12-25-10, 23:12
Tweightwee, how do you like that ATS CLAP? Does it have good organization in it? Or is it just a pocket and a zippered pouch?

I was thinking about buying one, but I still can't decided between it or the Milspec Monkey Stealth Admin pouch...

I like it enough that I own two. The one on the Cobra and one on my chest rig. Admittedly, the only other admin pouch I have experience with is the HSGI, which is a much bigger beast.

The top pocket has three elastic loops. One is big enough to hold my Brunton Eclipse. The other two can take a Surefire 6P/G2 size light. In addition to the compass and the light, I can fit a pair of Mechanix gloves, a RITR notebook and pen, a pair of Surefire EP3s and an inova microlight in a retractable badge reel .

Yeah, its full.

The zippered pocket is really pretty thin. I've got a signal mirror, some handi wipes and a broken case extractor in the one on the chest rig.

TehLlama
12-25-10, 23:43
Mine's Coyote, and slick right now, but I'll find a pic. It's a very nice pack, but I'm already looking at some DIY mods for it.

Schuey2002
12-26-10, 02:30
Thank you for info on the CLAP, Tweightwee! :)

It sounds like I need one...

It would cool if you did post a shot of your pack, TehLlama. But if you don't, that's fine too.. ;)

Schuey2002
12-28-10, 19:08
Well, UPS just dropped off my Cobra pack about 30 minutes ago. From what I can tell, it's a great little pack! With ATS' typical fantastic build quality too. :D

Some quick comments. I wish the shoulder straps tapered more on the bottom. They are curved and wide, but they kinda pinch me around the armpits. I need to get this pack out and use it, then maybe I'll have a different opinion about them.

The PALS webbing on the sides are sewn too close to your back, but I knew that going in. I can get my ATS small upright pouch on the right side, but mounting it on the left is a tougher challenge. :(

Also, concerning the ACU color. The cordura that ATS uses is very faded and washed out. It's unlike the other ACU items that I own which have darker (and more distinct) foliage green colors. One thing is for sure, faded is good! :o With the large GP pouch that I have mounted on the outside, most of the ACU is nicely covered over. And once I mount a CLAP above it, even more will be covered up. Maybe I'll hold off on dyeing it for now. :)

Again, the construction is awesome. The #10 YKK zippers are smooth and have a quality feel about them. The outer map pocket is deep (a 2 liter soda bottle will fit in it and zip closed!), and will probably come in handy for stashing flat things. As are the three vents covered vents on the top, which are meant for radio antennas or hydration tubes.

PS- I'll try to take some pics later tonight or tomorrow..

ETA: I threw some pouches on the back of it and snapped a quick picture..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/HiluxTaco/Cobra.jpg

On the bottom is my ATS Large GP pouch. Above and to the left is my HSGI Improved B/B Pouch (Khaki). An Emdom SAF Admin Panel is next to it, and an ATS Small Upright GP pouch is mounted on the right side of the pack.

Tweightwee
12-29-10, 07:33
I had the same problem with the straps pinching.
I wrapped the sternum straps all the way around the shoulder straps and sinched 'em in.
http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww253/tweightwee/LBE008-1.jpg

I have found a pair of needle nose pliers to be the best way to pull PALS straps through tight loops.

Schuey2002
12-29-10, 15:51
Thanks for the tip! I didn't even think of doing that... :o

ShadowTactics
12-29-10, 20:52
Dumb question but are these still available in multicam? I don't see them on the ats website.

Schuey2002
12-29-10, 21:08
Nope. All colors are sold out...

Shane1
01-04-11, 07:52
Schuey, great choice of an Admin pouch. ;)

Schuey2002
01-04-11, 18:13
^^^

Thanks! Like all the rest of my ATS gear, I lurve it! :D