PDA

View Full Version : DD or BCM trigger guard change

thermocafe
12-20-10, 11:54
I am interested in ordering a BCM or DD rifle, but neither offers the option for a plain old, boring, run-of-the-mill, straight trigger guard, which is what I want.

BCM recommended Steve at ADCO, but I'm in the Middle East right now and don't have the capacities for shipping here and shipping there. Besides, I am worried this will void the warranty (they never answered this question). Smartgunner doesn't seem to have an option for this at all on the DD rifles.

Any suggestions? I searched and didn't find much.

bobbo
12-20-10, 12:28
You know, I've become so used to seeing the Magpul trigger guards on rifles that I never even noticed that! :p

I'd recommend contacting Grant at G & R. Tactical. He deals both BCM and DD rifles and can probably do you a lower the way you want it. Or order the parts and build it yourself. But be careful, Option 2 has been known to become addicting.

thermocafe
12-20-10, 12:36
Thanks, bobbo. :)

BCM did get back to me that Steve's work at ADCO would not void the warranty. But it does entail shipping here and shipping there.

G&R Tactical replied that he would only send it to me and I'd have to do it myself. That option doesn't thrill me: trying to find the answer before I started this thread I found a lot of threads warning of damaging the 'ears' while changing trigger guards, and given my poor inclination for mechanical things I'd rather have someone else do it.

Just gonna be a small hassle because I don't spend a whole lotta time back home and I'd much rather be in a class with my own rifle...

Iraqgunz
12-20-10, 14:23
Personally I would leave the Magpul guard in place. I like the design much better than the original and can't really find a fault with it. All of my AR's wear them.

C4IGrant
12-20-10, 14:37
Thanks, bobbo. :)

BCM did get back to me that Steve's work at ADCO would not void the warranty. But it does entail shipping here and shipping there.

G&R Tactical replied that he would only send it to me and I'd have to do it myself. That option doesn't thrill me: trying to find the answer before I started this thread I found a lot of threads warning of damaging the 'ears' while changing trigger guards, and given my poor inclination for mechanical things I'd rather have someone else do it.

Just gonna be a small hassle because I don't spend a whole lotta time back home and I'd much rather be in a class with my own rifle...

If you cannot install the TG, we can do it.

I would suggest keeping the factory Magpul TG as it is FAR SUPERIOR to the GI one.

C4

bmg
12-20-10, 14:46
I would suggest keeping the factory Magpul TG as it is FAR SUPERIOR to the GI one.
C4

Exactly!

Watrdawg
12-20-10, 15:44
+1 on that.

Quentin
12-20-10, 16:16
I also like the straight USGI trigger guard better than the Magpul version. If you're careful it's very easy to install the roll pin, just be sure to support the "ears" when driving or pressing the roll pin in. The vise-grip method works well.

There's a lot of love for the new design but millions of ARs/M16s have done just fine with the original.

Dirtyboy333
12-20-10, 23:31
I like the curved magpuls so much better but if you want the straight TG its a really easy job. I have read about ears getting broke but i honestly dont see how they did it. I would just buy the cheapest LPK u can find and install it yourself or maybe trade TG with a buddy bc most people would rather have the curved TG anyway. You might be able to order a TG by itself but i havent seen 1. Dont worry tho, your not gonna break anything

bkb0000
12-20-10, 23:46
http://www.indytacticalsupply.com/ar15-parts-lower-parts-c-84_97/trigger-guard-standard

off the top of my head- 3/32nd roll pin punch, if i'm not mistaken.. make sure you support the ears.

i prefer the standard guard, too.