PDA

View Full Version : New Pistol Questions Part II

okie john
12-20-10, 12:20
Thanks to all who helped get me on the right track with my first new pistol thread a few weeks ago. I ended up with two G19s. I’ve shot one of them 500 rounds, relieving the trigger guard and cutting off the finger grooves along the way. It goes out for grip reduction soon. Once I get it just right, the other will become its twin. RCS holsters and mag carriers, LAV mag releases, and spare mags are inbound, and I’m lining up transition training locally.

Now my questions are:
1. How on earth do you get a decent trigger in these guns?
2. What do other guys who are pushing 50 use for sights? I’ve got Trijicons right now, but that front sight post seems awfully wide.

Thanks,

Okie John

Redhat
12-20-10, 12:26
Okie John,

I'm in the same boat as you for sights. I went with Warren Tactical. They have a wide rear notch for lots of light on either side. Other options I have heard about but have not tried:

10-8 sights
Heinie Sights

The issue I have found so far is if you want night sights, it might be probelmatic to find a thinner front blade due to the size needed for the tritium insert. Hopefully others who have used them will chime in.

Also, you might consider the new trend of having a mini red dot mounted.

M4arc
12-20-10, 12:28
Thanks to all who helped get me on the right track with my first new pistol thread a few weeks ago. I ended up with two G19s. I’ve shot one of them 500 rounds, relieving the trigger guard and cutting off the finger grooves along the way. It goes out for grip reduction soon. Once I get it just right, the other will become its twin. RCS holsters and mag carriers, LAV mag releases, and spare mags are inbound, and I’m lining up transition training locally.

Now my questions are:
2. What do other guys who are pushing 50 use for sights? I’ve got Trijicons right now, but that front sight post seems awfully wide.

Thanks,

Okie John

#1 - Just learn to shoot it as is. Put a drop of oil on the connector and dry fire and shoot it. It will come around. You could put a #4.5 connector in it but I recommend just shooting and dry firing it.

#2 - Ken Hackathorn Ameriglo sights. Nice big orange dot is great for aging eyes.

citizensoldier16
12-20-10, 12:33
#1) I agree...keep firing it, dry firing it, and a drop of oil on the connector. I've got over 10k rounds through my G17 and it's got one of the best triggers I've ever felt. Yours will smooth out over time. I once put a 4.5 connector in my gun and I thought it led to a very spongy feeling trigger. IMHO the Glock trigger is one of the best striker triggers I've ever felt....after about 2k rounds.

2) I can honestly say that I love my Trijicons and wouldn't switch them for anything. I like a wide front sight because of the way I draw and visualize my front sight coming up on target. I prefer a larger front sight because it is easier for my eyes to pick up.

okie john
12-20-10, 12:41
Okie John,

I'm in the same boat as you for sights. I went with Warren Tactical. They have a wide rear notch for lots of light on either side. Other options I have heard about but have not tried:

10-8 sights
Heinie Sights

The issue I have found so far is if you want night sights, it might be probelmatic to find a thinner front blade due to the size needed for the tritium insert. Hopefully others who have used them will chime in.

I'm very seriously considering a RDS and I'm following Gabe Suarez's thread on them, but I want to get at least one of these guns set up for EDC like yesterday.

I found a G23 with Robar grip reduction and Heine Straight Eights in a pawnshop the day after I picked up my G19s. I got it for a song, and I'm using it for study during the proof-of-concept phase. The Heine front is narrow and tall enough to work, but the vertically aligned dots mess with my mind. I'll try a Warren rear per your recommendation. I think I'm getting close.

Thanks for your comments.

Okie John

okie john
12-20-10, 12:46
IMHO the Glock trigger is one of the best striker triggers I've ever felt....after about 2k rounds.

This is one of the exact answers I was looking for. I don't know how many rounds went through this gun before I got it, but it won't be long until I'm at 2k. If I switch to a G17 trigger, do I have to start the 2k over again?

#2 - Ken Hackathorn Ameriglo sights. Nice big orange dot is great for aging eyes.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Okie John

steve m
12-20-10, 12:47
Try checking the ameriglo website, they have alot of options.

Redhat
12-20-10, 12:50
#1 - Just learn to shoot it as is. Put a drop of oil on the connector and dry fire and shoot it. It will come around. You could put a #4.5 connector in it but I recommend just shooting and dry firing it.

Have a link or know which model number those are? Are they night sights?

Thanks

oldtexan
12-20-10, 12:52

Now my questions are:

Thanks,

Okie JohnOkie John,

1. It depends on how you define a decent trigger. I define it as having a. a consistent pull from shot to shot, b. a distinct, vigorous, preferably short, reset, and c. a perceived weight of pull no greater than a j-frame S&W DAO. I shot 1911s for decades and it took a while to adjust to the Glock trigger. You might try a "minus" or "-" Glock connector and an NY-1 trigger spring. This seems to give a pull that's more consistent and a more vigorous rest than the stock setup.

2. I'm 56, so I am definitely coping with presbyopia. I use Ameriglo tritium fronts. They are available in a relatively narrow .125" width (Glock OEM width is about .145" IIRC) and have a nice bright white ring around the tritium dot. I can't see any front sight like I did when I was 35, but I can see them more clearly than Meprolight fronts. A relatively wide notch in the rear sight (.150" or wider)coupled with a narrow front sight (.125") seems to help me.

okie john
12-20-10, 15:00
Okie John,

1. It depends on how you define a decent trigger. I define it as having a. a consistent pull from shot to shot, b. a distinct, vigorous, preferably short, reset, and c. a perceived weight of pull no greater than a j-frame S&W DAO. I shot 1911s for decades and it took a while to adjust to the Glock trigger. You might try a "minus" or "-" Glock connector and an NY-1 trigger spring. This seems to give a pull that's more consistent and a more vigorous rest than the stock setup.

At this point, I'll settle for crisp but heavy. Right now I've got mushy but heavy.

Okie John

oldtexan
12-20-10, 15:20
At this point, I'll settle for crisp but heavy. Right now I've got mushy but heavy.

Okie John

Others more experienced than I may know of a way, but I know of no way to get a truly crisp trigger in a Glock. I've tried various combinations of Glock connector and trigger spring, and haven't run into any that I'd call crisp. Those I've tried are the minus and standard connectors, each with the standard, NY-1, and NY-2 trigger springs, and the plus connector with the standard trigger spring.

I believe that Glock triggers can be made lighter in pull weight, if that helps. I don't have any experience with that.

I've gotten used to not having a crisp trigger, so I don't view it as nearly as important as I formerly did.

DocGKR
12-20-10, 17:39
Trigger: Standard 5.5lbs Glock triggers work fine; so do the "-" connectors with or without the NY1. Just keep in mind that they are NOT a 1911 trigger and NEVER will be--don't go chasing unicorns...

Sights: Warren w/reflective tape as noted here: http://pistol-training.com/articles/the-johno-diy-high-visibility-front-sight, Ameriglo Hackathorn, or an RDS (which I have grown to prefer):

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7020&filename=Glock%20RMR.jpg

300WM
12-20-10, 21:08

Okie John

So do I on my two Glocks. If you find out how to get crisp and ANYTHING, please post it.

okie john
12-21-10, 11:38
So do I on my two Glocks. If you find out how to get crisp and ANYTHING, please post it.

I will, but I'm not expecting much. I just want to get away from the stacking.

Okie John

okie john
12-21-10, 11:42
Trigger: Standard 5.5lbs Glock triggers work fine; so do the "-" connectors with or without the NY1. Just keep in mind that they are NOT a 1911 trigger and NEVER will be--don't go chasing unicorns...

Sights: Warren w/reflective tape as noted here: http://pistol-training.com/articles/the-johno-diy-high-visibility-front-sight, Ameriglo Hackathorn, or an RDS (which I have grown to prefer):

Thanks. A little voice is telling me that my pistols will end up with top ends like the one on your G19--and that I'll learn to handle a Glock factory trigger. Who did the RDS install for you?

Okie John

oldtexan
12-21-10, 12:24
I will, but I'm not expecting much. I just want to get away from the stacking.

Okie John

You might want to try the minus connector (also called a 3.5 or 4.5 connector) with an NY-1 trigger spring. This gives IMO a pull that has less stacking than the factory setup (standard, or 5.5, connector and standard coil trigger spring). It has a higher level of resistance at the beginning of the stroke than the factory setup, but its resistance stays relatively flatter throughout the stroke. Resistance at letoff is roughly the same as the factory setup. It also seems to have a more distinct vigorous reset than the factory setup.

I use Glock OEM minus connectors and NY-1 springs in my Glocks. Their role is as carry and home defense guns.

VolGrad
12-21-10, 13:11
There are a million combinations to try on triggers. I personally run the std trigger spring and a GLOCK (-) connector on most of mine. I do have one with a Ghost Ranger 4.5# in it and another with a Ghost Ultimate 3.5#. I actually like the Ghost connectors a bit better I think but can't run them in guns I use for GSSF (and maybe not IDPA SSP either, I forget exactly what makes for SSP but figure if I go by GSSF Am rules I'm G2G).

For sights I also recommend Ameriglo. I run a ProGlo up front with the orange paint around the green tritium dot. This post is slightly more narrow than Trij and other makers IIRC. For the rear I run a GL-405L. This has a ledge front edge for one handed malf clearance and a black serrated face (no dots). The notch is extra wide. I find this setup very fast and fine in low light as you still have a glow up front. I have turned on a couple of buddies to this setup and was watching one from a distance of about 10-12 yards (and at an angle) in class on Sunday. I could see his front sight bounce around clear as if I were looking down the muzzle myself.

pennzoil
12-21-10, 13:54
I'm very seriously considering a RDS and I'm following Gabe Suarez's thread on them, but I want to get at least one of these guns set up for EDC like yesterday.

I found a G23 with Robar grip reduction and Heine Straight Eights in a pawnshop the day after I picked up my G19s. I got it for a song, and I'm using it for study during the proof-of-concept phase. The Heine front is narrow and tall enough to work, but the vertically aligned dots mess with my mind. I'll try a Warren rear per your recommendation. I think I'm getting close.

Thanks for your comments.

Okie John

I take a black sharpie to the rear sights on all my glocks so in the daytime it looks like a blacked out rear sight then at night the tritium will shine through the sharpie mark to look normal.

You have 3 guns ready for EDC now. I would just buy a couple cases of ammo, handheld light and hit the range hard for a week or two doing drills (http://pistol-training.com/drills). The $15 dollar glock holster would work till you can get your Ravens in.

Redhat
12-21-10, 14:10
Okie John,

10-8 sights
Heinie Sights

I received an e-mail from Mr. Warren today stating the nights sights are the same dimensions...so now I'll be working on getting a pair for my G19. :D

Business_Casual
12-21-10, 14:24
I hope you know Warrens have POA/POI issues at 25 yards. Before i went RDS, I used an ameriglo front tritium with a Kyle Defoor rear sight.

B_C

Redhat
12-21-10, 14:37
I hope you know Warrens have POA/POI issues at 25 yards. Before i went RDS, I used an ameriglo front tritium with a Kyle Defoor rear sight.

B_C

Haven't observed this with the ones I've been using for the past year. Any threads you can provide a link to...I'd like to read up on it.

Business_Casual
12-21-10, 16:00
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/03/defoor-tactical-sights-for-glocks.html