PDA

View Full Version : Magazines

Jimston
12-20-10, 20:18
The local gun store has a decent size box that is full of 5, 10, 20, and 30 round magazines of different sorts.

All of the used mags cost $10 flat.

My question is... is there any specific brands i should be looking out for?

Right now i have

x1 Colt AR-15 cal. .223 - Colt's PT. F.A.MFG.CO.INC - Hartford. CONN. U.S.A - 20 round straight mag.

x1 Cal. 5.56 MM - COLT'S MFG. CO INC. - Hartford, CONN. - U.S.A

x2 S M16/M16A1 CAL 5.56 MM - Universal Inds. Div. - Simmons Prec. Prod. INC - West Haven . Conn U.S.A

x1 C products LLC Newington CT

Are any of these different mags worth getting a hold of if possible? The shop has loads of them, and every time i go there he dumps them out and i sort through them.

They all work fine and are in good enough shape.

So far, the Colt mags and M16 mags seem to feed more smoothly then the others.

There is also some magazines that say "restricted to Law enforcement and Military only. I wonder if i should try to grab all of those.

I'm just trying to get the best magazines.

lethal dose
12-20-10, 20:23
$10 for the whole box?

cqbdriver
12-20-10, 21:37
Colt & Universal are good mags. I would stay away from C products.

However, there are many vendors selling new USGI for similar prices.

SW-Shooter
12-20-10, 21:51
Dude! A few online vendors sell new ones for $10.00 or less. I've seen em as low as $7.00 ea for Aluminum mags.

Don't buy used mags.

JStor
12-20-10, 21:51
Colt, Universal and Adventureline are all good to go for the 20 rounders. For 30s I like Okay and Magpul.

GermanSynergy
12-20-10, 22:02
Unless you live in a ban state, just buy PMAGs and be done with it.

Jimston
12-20-10, 22:05
$10 each. I'll try the P-mags.

RAM Engineer
12-20-10, 22:34
As others have said, avoid C-Products.

Jimston
12-20-10, 22:37
I just ordered x4 P-mags. x2 of the 20 round mags, and x2 of the 30 round mags w/ window.

I hope they are as good as people say :) And i hope Magpul/fedex has good packing/shipping times.

With standard Fedex ground, how long do their orders usually take?

lethal dose
12-20-10, 23:26
Good choice. Pmags rock. I'da done it for range mags if the whole box was $10 but $10/ea... no way. Used mags can be a nightmare.

hunter123
12-21-10, 00:03

Exactly.

tuck
12-21-10, 00:36
Maybe you'll get lucky and find an HK mag in the box, but otherwise, I'd order up some Pmags. They're hard to beat.

Jimston
12-21-10, 00:38
No HK mags. You guys are right though. I only bought the mags because he offered me a deal. I already had two mags and needed a few more for the range.

The new mags will be here in a few days.

Iraqgunz
12-21-10, 03:49
HK mags are nothing special and not worth wasting money on.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find an HK mag in the box, but otherwise, I'd order up some Pmags. They're hard to beat.

ThirdWatcher
12-21-10, 06:22

Exactly right. One of the Warrior Princesses moved from a ban state to a free state a couple months ago so Santa's bringing her a box of Pmags. ;)

tuck
12-21-10, 11:20
HK mags are nothing special and not worth wasting money on.

I never said they were anything special, but IMO they are a bit nicer than your standard aluminum GI mags. So if they're in good shape, for 10 bucks a pop they would make decent range mags for the OP. However since the OP says there isn't any available, this is a moot point.

paulkuda
12-21-10, 11:36
Not to high jack the thread here, but what is the better mag? Aluminum, Stainless or the Poly Mags? Milspec is the coated aluminum with the CS or SS springs. But I hear a ton of positive feedback on the magpuls.

I understand the lips will wear out on any mag. Is there a pro/con cheat sheet? :confused:

Thanks.

Kuda

austinN4
12-21-10, 11:43
I understand the lips will wear out on any mag. Is there a pro/con cheat sheet?
The stickies in the AR General and Technical sections are always a good place to start. I recommend reading them all. Here is the sticky on mags: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=382

fdxpilot
12-21-10, 12:11
I just ordered x4 P-mags. x2 of the 20 round mags, and x2 of the 30 round mags w/ window.

I hope they are as good as people say :) And i hope Magpul/fedex has good packing/shipping times.

Depends on where you got them. I never have bought any direct from MagPul. Almost any reputable AR vendor sells PMags, frequently for as little as $10-11 for the non-windowed ones. As I recall, the last 5 I bought were windowed 30rd PMags for $12.99 ea during a sale. Fedex ground shoud be 3-5 business days.

Icculus
12-21-10, 12:52
Depends on where you got them. I never have bought any direct from MagPul. Almost any reputable AR vendor sells PMags, frequently for as little as $10-11 for the non-windowed ones. As I recall, the last 5 I bought were windowed 30rd PMags for $12.99 ea during a sale. Fedex ground shoud be 3-5 business days.

Those are pretty good sale prices. Most of the time I see $14 for non-window and $17 for windowed. OP, order with confidence from any of the site sponsors. G&R, Rainier Arms, Bravo Company (and I'm sure others but those are who I order from the most) will all do you right and have your mags to you in short order. From my personal experience PMags, Bravo company aluminum mags and Lancer's are all g2g but these days I usually just add a pmag or 2 on whenever I buy something else.

RAM Engineer
12-21-10, 12:58
Not to high jack the thread here, but what is the better mag? Aluminum, Stainless or the Poly Mags? Milspec is the coated aluminum with the CS or SS springs.

IIRC, the "Milspec" calls for STAINLESS STEEL springs, NOT chrome-silicon.

Iraqgunz
12-21-10, 13:06
Maybe I should have clarified. They are shit magazines and you would be better off spending the 10.00 on quality aluminum mags or PMAG's.

I never said they were anything special, but IMO they are a bit nicer than your standard aluminum GI mags. So if they're in good shape, for 10 bucks a pop they would make decent range mags for the OP. However since the OP says there isn't any available, this is a moot point.

lethal dose
12-21-10, 13:20
Yeah... I bought a preban a1 some years ago that came with an hk mag... worst mag ever. Heavy, too. How they justify pricing them new the way they do, I'll never know. Wait a minute... that's right, they're hk.

arizonaranchman
12-21-10, 15:22
You won't be sorry for going with PMags. They're simply the best out there and they stand behind their mags if you do have a problem.

When I need magazines I don't even consider anything else. Never even enters my mind to go with anything other than PMags...

Whootsinator
12-21-10, 16:01
The stickies in the AR General and Technical sections are always a good place to start. I recommend reading them all. Here is the sticky on mags: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=382

If all you did was read this thread and then read the first few pages of that thread, you would be very confused; they sharply contradict each other.

In the stickied magazine thread, HKs are proclaimed by most to be the best available, and C Products are great or at least as good as any other aluminum magazine.

Yet in THIS thread, "HK magazines are shit", and C Products are some of the least desirable aluminum magazines around.

I haven't tested any products to proclaim anything, so I won't do so.... I just felt it necessary to point out the contradictions.

RIDE
12-21-10, 16:26

Just curious... if you are able (live in a state that they are legal) to buy 30 round mags... Why buy 20 round mags?

Magpul has always shipped my stuff out the day after I placed the order.
Magpul ships from CO... transit times depend on where you live ;)

Beat Trash
12-21-10, 17:01
PMAGs. Figure $14.20 is the standard rate for non-windowed 30 rd magazines. So when you find them cheaper, buy.

I recently had a minor issue with a few PMAGs. I contacted MagPul and talked with their CS rep. He didn't blink an eye. I had replacement mags within 3 days (he shipped that day).

I put a lot of importance in the quality of a product and it's ability to fulfill the role I intend to use it for. I put equal importance in the manufactures willingness to stand behind their product. Mag Pul has earned my future business.

At $10 for used aluminum magazines, I'd pass. Shop around and you can find new PMAGs for $ 12 or so, and new D&H aluminum for $ 8 or so.

arizonaranchman
12-21-10, 18:29
Just curious... if you are able (live in a state that they are legal) to buy 30 round mags... Why buy 20 round mags?Magpul has always shipped my stuff out the day after I placed the order.

Personally I like the 20's best cuz I don't like the magazine hanging so far down and realistically don't need 30 rds for routine use/carry for my purposes around the ranch or when out and about. I live in a rural area and always have and eye out for predators - feral dogs, coyotes, mtn lions, bobcats, etc

A 20rd mag is plenty for carrying around the ranch, on the front seat of my truck, etc.

If I'm loading up to go after bad guys of course a 30rd is the #1 choice, but unless such a thing is imminent 30rds is overkill just for routine carry on a ranch or in the truck.

It depends on your intent/purpose obviously. When shooting prone 30rd mags can be a PIA also. Most of my mags are 20rd PMags.

Jimston
12-22-10, 03:05
Just curious... if you are able (live in a state that they are legal) to buy 30 round mags... Why buy 20 round mags?

Magpul has always shipped my stuff out the day after I placed the order.

I prefer 20 round magazines. AR15's were never designed for crooked or slanted 30 round magazines.

The shorter mags are supposed to be more reliable when prone as well. And aren't they more reliable regardless of whether or not your shooting from the prone position with the magazine digging into the ground?

I feel like i load 20 round magazines more easily and of course faster, which is due to their straight construction. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I live in CT by the way :) I do actually have a 40 round magazine heh

500grains
12-22-10, 03:11

The day the Commie was elected I purchased over $1K in magazines of various brands. $750 of that were PMAGs.

Now I feel annoyed that not all of my magazines are PMAGs.

Just get PMAGs.

Moose-Knuckle
12-22-10, 15:28
My go to mags are LaBelle gray Teflon thirty rounders with Wolff extra power springs, Magpul Gen II followers, and Magpul Ranger plates.

PMAGs save you the trouble of having to "build" up a decent mag though. I have plenty of those as well. As others have stated don't waste $10 on a used mag. D&H, Brownells, DSG are all good to go if you want a traditional USGI aluminum mag and they can be found for as little as $10 in some places.

Here is a great resource to help identify and find out WHO REALLY MADE various USGI mags, it is a little dated however, informative none the less.

http://magfaq.tripod.com/mags1.htm#2c

Jimston
12-22-10, 18:35
Thanks for the Mag faq :)

RAM Engineer
12-22-10, 19:06
I prefer 20 round magazines. AR15's were never designed for crooked or slanted 30 round magazines.

Actually they originally used 25 round straight mags. They were never designed for red dot optics, IR lasers, collapsible stocks, sound suppressors, and free float picatinny handguards. But all these things help make the gun more effective for its designated purpose.

The shorter mags are supposed to be more reliable when prone as well. And aren't they more reliable regardless of whether or not your shooting from the prone position with the magazine digging into the ground?

A 30 round magazine makes a very effective mono-pod when shooting prone. If you have issues when mono-poding a gun off a 30 round mag, then you may have a bad mag or bigger issues like an out-of-spec magwell or magazine catch.

I feel like i load 20 round magazines more easily and of course faster, which is due to their straight construction. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Hmmm...I dunno. You don't have to load as OFTEN when using 30 round mags. If loading speed/effort matters to you, buy one of these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Personal-Magazine-Loader-p/ar15%20personal%20mag%20loader%20556.htm

It's the best $12 you can spend on your gun. Makes loading mags from loose rounds a breeze.

This is not to say that I have no use for 20 round mags. They are handy. I just hate to see someone stuck in a 1967 luddite mindset and be opposed to 30 round mags for no rational reason.

KentuckyWindage
12-22-10, 19:18
My go to mags are LaBelle gray Teflon thirty rounders with Wolff extra power springs, Magpul Gen II followers, and Magpul Ranger plates.

This .:D Hard to beat combo.

Jimston
12-22-10, 21:28
Actually they originally used 25 round straight mags. They were never designed for red dot optics, IR lasers, collapsible stocks, sound suppressors, and free float picatinny handguards. But all these things help make the gun more effective for its designated purpose.

A 30 round magazine makes a very effective mono-pod when shooting prone. If you have issues when mono-poding a gun off a 30 round mag, then you may have a bad mag or bigger issues like an out-of-spec magwell or magazine catch.

Hmmm...I dunno. You don't have to load as OFTEN when using 30 round mags. If loading speed/effort matters to you, buy one of these:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Personal-Magazine-Loader-p/ar15%20personal%20mag%20loader%20556.htm

It's the best $12 you can spend on your gun. Makes loading mags from loose rounds a breeze.

This is not to say that I have no use for 20 round mags. They are handy. I just hate to see someone stuck in a 1967 luddite mindset and be opposed to 30 round mags for no rational reason.

I've been shooting my Ar for less than a week, so what do i know haha.

The range i shoot at won't allow the prone position, and i haven't actually tried any 30 round magazines besides the plastic pos that failed me over and over until i used 30-35 year old magazines that worked without any issues.

Me and a friend have access to private property in CT where we can do whatever floats our boat. I haven't fired my Ar there yet but hope to this weekend. That is the only place where i shoot prone, and thats only likely if i spot a turkey.

Can't legally hunt with a 30 rounder anyways. I have a single 5 round mag for that. Or, maybe i'll just load one in the chamber? I need to check hunting laws and regulations.

ucrt
12-22-10, 23:05
....If loading speed/effort matters to you, buy one of these:

It's the best $12 you can spend on your gun. Makes loading mags from loose rounds a breeze......

=================================

I agree on the above Loader and use it almost exclusively to load my mags. It is great. I sent one to a nephew that is in MARSOC and shipped out two weeks ago. Haven't heard what he thinks yet.

I keep a Lula Loader in my bag too, if I ever have to unload a mag. It is impossible to beat unloading a mag. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=796384 My MARSOC nephew told me him and his guys love the Lula Loader.

JSantoro
12-23-10, 08:53

MYTH!! But a very, very common one that is as easily dispelled as it is common; damned Corps and Army :mad:..... What RAM stated applies.

A manufacturer may have to tweak a 20rnd design in a different fashion than a 30rnd design to make reliable magazines, but the amount of rounds a mag holds is no automatic indicator of reliability. One is simply more MORE ROUNDS than the other.

Icculus
12-23-10, 09:48
If all you did was read this thread and then read the first few pages of that thread, you would be very confused; they sharply contradict each other.

In the stickied magazine thread, HKs are proclaimed by most to be the best available, and C Products are great or at least as good as any other aluminum magazine.

Yet in THIS thread, "HK magazines are shit", and C Products are some of the least desirable aluminum magazines around.

I haven't tested any products to proclaim anything, so I won't do so.... I just felt it necessary to point out the contradictions.

Look at the dates at the start of that thread. 2006 A lot can change in 4 years--companies commitment to quality, new products, etc. I don't even think PMags were released until sometime in 2007

YMMV but I find the exact opposite to be true and the only pmags I've ever had any issue with were a couple of 20's. Small sample size but I've occasionally had problems getting the top round to strip off on the 20's. A minor issue though and only really noticed by me since the 30's I have are all flawless performers.

SIGguy229
12-23-10, 10:45
Get PMAGs....if you *need* aluminum mags, I'd buy new (~$10/each)...and then replace the followers with MAGPUL followers...

In the end, you'll just wish you'd got PMAGs