PDA

View Full Version : Need a picture... Daniel Defense M4-A1 RIS II Special Forces (Mod Block) setup...

Roadblock
12-20-10, 22:52
I'm sure you guys have seen the Mk18 Mod 1 pictures, the 10 1/2 inch barreled uppers with the Daniel Defense Mk18 RIS II Dark Earth rail systems...

I'd like to see a picture of a real Special Forces gun based on the Daniel Defense M4-A1 RIS II, the 12 inch version. They use the 12 inch rail on the 14.5 inch barreled uppers.

Anyone have any links for me. Basically I wanna see what setups they are running. Sights, AN/PEQ's, tactical lights, stocks etc.

Looking to build myself something based off this setup.

Thank you much!

RAM Engineer
12-20-10, 23:00
I used a website known as "Google" to find these pictures.

http://www.civiliangunner.com/cgf/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=71848

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/RISII8.jpg

Bolt_Overide
12-21-10, 01:59
What is this google thing you speak of?

Big Mac
12-21-10, 02:11

Holy crap that was funny:laugh::sarcastic::lol:

NongShim
12-21-10, 17:28
Check it out dude, you want your gun to look like a cool guys gun, specifically the 14.5"/12" DD RIS2 upper?

Simple. Install a RIS2 on your 14.5" upper with a low pro gas block. Put a rear sight on, put a front sight on. Don't worry about brands. A few options you might see include: ARMS, Troy, KAC, MATECH. Doesn't matter though, it's not specific.

Put an optic on. Aimpoint, EOTech, ACOG, Elcan, something.

Put some type of SureFire light on it. Or an Insight. Doesn't matter.

Put a sling mount on it.

Now shoot thousands of rounds out of it. Bang it around. Spray paint it; don't get meticulous and make the pattern look cool. Now shoot it a ton more, and bang it around a lot more. A good way to get it really cool looking is to have open top mag pouches on your kit. GI mags will scratch the shit out of your gun. Also, having it bang around it a truck, or in a tough box full of other guns will give a really cool, broken in look.

Was that a smart-ass response? Yeah. Was that the truth? Yeah. Bottom line, is that you're not going to find some mythical standard configuration. Put what works for you on the gun. Just because something works great for one guy, doesn't mean it'll be titties for you. Doing a clone build is one thing when you're talking about a Vietnam era gun, when they were all basically the same, from one configuration to another. Trying to do a clone build of an SF gun? Not going to happen. Guns vary by personality, most of the time.

dennisuello
12-21-10, 17:34

Learn something new every day...

Roadblock
12-31-10, 02:40
Here is a thought, if you really don't have anything helpful to say keep your mouths shut.

I was lucky enough to run into a well respected member of the "other" AR forum, who apparently is SF. He sent me some pictures of his current issue gun and said it's pretty close to the general base and also linked me to some other photos on Lightfighter.

14.5 inch barrel
Daniel Defense 12 inch RIS II, Dark Earth
Knights Flip Sights
Insight AN/PEQ-15
Insight M3X
Insight Double Pressure Switch
EOTech 553 or Elcan
LMT SOPMOD Stock

Which was a good starting point and I have MOST of the items on the list on the way now.

So if anyone else cares, that's a good starting base.

OTO27
12-31-10, 03:50
Here is a thought, if you really don't have anything helpful to say keep your mouths shut.

I was lucky enough to run into a well respected member of the "other" AR forum, who apparently is SF. He sent me some pictures of his current issue gun and said it's pretty close to the general base and also linked me to some other photos on Lightfighter.

14.5 inch barrel
Knights Flip Sights
Insight AN/PEQ-15
Insight M3X
EOTech 553 or Elcan
LMT SOPMOD Stock

Which was a good starting point and I have MOST of the items on the list on the way now.

Dont get your panties in a bunch, we are just trying to help you. A lot of people here, including my self have in the past fallen victim of the tacticool guns. I saw a SF unit running a gun and I had to make mine look just like it so I could be the cool kid at the range and tell everyone how my gun is pretty much how some SF group is setting up theirs, so it must be the best shit since sliced bread. Well to make a long story short I sold most of those parts and ended up configuring a rifle that met my needs and ran the way I liked it. I ended up loosing a lot of money due to having to resell parts such as rails and light kits that just dint float my boat when compared to other stuff out there.

Most useres here are just trying to help you, I wish I would have done a bit more research before I began to slap shit on my first AR to make it "cool". Would have saved me lots of money!

I know there were some sarcasm with the google jokes, but come on! It was funny! :sarcastic:

By the way are you Mil or LE? just wondering what the need for the PEQ is?

Daekwan
12-31-10, 07:34

14.5 inch barrel
Knights Flip Sights
Insight AN/PEQ-15
Insight M3X
EOTech 553 or Elcan
LMT SOPMOD Stock

So where are the links to the pictures? I'd definitely like to see them.

Thanks!

500grains
12-31-10, 09:37
That rifle sounds like a nice setup. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Any initial impressions?

500grains
12-31-10, 09:42
linked me to some other photos on Lightfighter.

And you are complaining about a few offhand remarks here? Lightfighter appears to be the grouchiest website on the internet.

BAC
12-31-10, 09:56
I actually like the idea of clone builds, if you have the time, money, and inclination for building and collecting them. The problem is that there are so many versions I'd have a hard time picking which ones [I can afford] to clone. Wikipedia lists eight Vietnam era versions and about as many post-Vietnam versions.

Good luck with your build Roadblock.

-B

Turnkey11
12-31-10, 10:03
And you are complaining about a few offhand remarks here? Lightfighter appears to be the grouchiest website on the internet.Professional Soldiers got lightfighter beat on that one.

Adam0331
12-31-10, 12:39
Taken from another forum. Says it's MARSOC.

RAM Engineer
12-31-10, 16:18

That pic is the second link I posted in the first reply in this thread. :rolleyes:

Adam0331
12-31-10, 20:40
That pic is the second link I posted in the first reply in this thread. :rolleyes:

Sorry, didn't check your link.:rolleyes:

Failure2Stop
12-31-10, 22:43

I was lucky enough to run into a well respected member of the "other" AR forum, who apparently is SF.

I'm going to give you a heads-up, the guy you told to shut up is a validated SME (SOF unit member in good standing).
This is bad for you for two reasons:
1-He is a good guy giving you advice.
2-Disrespect to a validated IP/SME is a violation of site rules.

Stickman
12-31-10, 23:19
I had no idea SME meant they were SOF. In general, the site simply works better when people post with information they know from first hand experience.... regardless of tag line. Credibility with more posts is what I think gathers people to this site.

3) Industry Professional – This forum designates a very choice few members with the title of Industry Professional. These are individuals who have extensive first hand experience with the deployment of small arms, execution of proper tactics, or development of the past or current military weapons platforms. Generally speaking, they are well compensated for the information that they provide; and providing information on a free internet forum is a service to us all. Often in an internet forum other posters may not recognize the individual behind certain screen names or have checked their screen name bio. This title is a helpful tool for a viewer to identify such individuals. You are welcome to disagree with their opinion (debate is one of the best ways to fully understand and exchange information), but please take a moment to recognize where their experience and information comes from.

markm
12-31-10, 23:22
Check it out dude, you want your gun to look like a cool guys gun, specifically the 14.5"/12" DD RIS2 upper?

Simple. Install a RIS2 on your 14.5" upper with a low pro gas block. Put a rear sight on, put a front sight on. Don't worry about brands. A few options you might see include: ARMS, Troy, KAC, MATECH. Doesn't matter though, it's not specific.

Put an optic on. Aimpoint, EOTech, ACOG, Elcan, something.

Put some type of SureFire light on it. Or an Insight. Doesn't matter.

Put a sling mount on it.

Now shoot thousands of rounds out of it. Bang it around. Spray paint it; don't get meticulous and make the pattern look cool. Now shoot it a ton more, and bang it around a lot more. A good way to get it really cool looking is to have open top mag pouches on your kit. GI mags will scratch the shit out of your gun. Also, having it bang around it a truck, or in a tough box full of other guns will give a really cool, broken in look.

Was that a smart-ass response? Yeah. Was that the truth? Yeah. Bottom line, is that you're not going to find some mythical standard configuration. Put what works for you on the gun. Just because something works great for one guy, doesn't mean it'll be titties for you. Doing a clone build is one thing when you're talking about a Vietnam era gun, when they were all basically the same, from one configuration to another. Trying to do a clone build of an SF gun? Not going to happen. Guns vary by personality, most of the time.

I love this guy! :p

Failure2Stop
12-31-10, 23:33
3) Subject Matter Expert and Industry Professional – This forum designates a very choice few members with the title of Subject Matter Expert and Industry Professional. SME's are individuals who have extensive first hand experience with the deployment of small arms, execution of proper tactics, or development of the past or current military weapons platforms. Generally speaking, they are well compensated for the information that they provide; and providing information on a free internet forum is a service to us all. Often in an internet forum other posters may not recognize the individual behind certain screen names or have checked their screen name bio. Industry Professionals are people who work in or with Industry, and/or are End-Users or former End-Users who do not quite fall into the SME area. These titles are a helpful tool for a viewer to identify such individuals. You are welcome to disagree with their opinion (debate is one of the best ways to fully understand and exchange information), but please take a moment to recognize where their experience and information comes from.

From the M4Carbine Mission Statement
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1497

It seems that the Site Rules are a bit out of date.

Dos Cylindros
01-01-11, 01:22
From the M4Carbine Mission Statement
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1497

It seems that the Site Rules are a bit out of date.

So that would be the reason my post got deleted. Fair enough I guess.

variablebinary
01-01-11, 02:38
I happen to like pics of cool boy gear.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/MARSOC.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7360/2qu3fwg.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3hPLk7FccgY/TCCtqpoik0I/AAAAAAAABPU/VwwpnWAhzIY/DD%20M4A1%20RIS%20II%205.JPG

LRB45
01-01-11, 08:49
So basically what is being done is putting the DD 12" rail on a standard 14.5" barreled upper?

DocBach
01-01-11, 22:08
From what I've seen in the pictures from AKO and the interwebs, most of the people running the 14.5" barrel with the M4A1 RIS II are the Ranger Batts and the MARSOC guys. Almost all of the SF dudes I see are rocking the 10.whatever length barrels with the Mk 18 RIS II.

wild_wild_wes
01-01-11, 22:16
So basically what is being done is putting the DD 12" rail on a standard 14.5" barreled upper?

Plus the heavy M4A1 barrel.

Roadblock
01-02-11, 21:26
Dont get your panties in a bunch, we are just trying to help you. A lot of people here, including my self have in the past fallen victim of the tacticool guns. I saw a SF unit running a gun and I had to make mine look just like it so I could be the cool kid at the range and tell everyone how my gun is pretty much how some SF group is setting up theirs, so it must be the best shit since sliced bread. Well to make a long story short I sold most of those parts and ended up configuring a rifle that met my needs and ran the way I liked it. I ended up loosing a lot of money due to having to resell parts such as rails and light kits that just dint float my boat when compared to other stuff out there.

Most useres here are just trying to help you, I wish I would have done a bit more research before I began to slap shit on my first AR to make it "cool". Would have saved me lots of money!

I know there were some sarcasm with the google jokes, but come on! It was funny! :sarcastic:

By the way are you Mil or LE? just wondering what the need for the PEQ is?

They were not in a bunch. I was just trying to find some info on the current MOD 12/14.5 base kit. I knew they were all built to operator taste but they all still start with a base and I knew there should be some pictures or an article about the base build. I was unable to find anything when I goggle searched.

I own about a dozen or so AR builds. I got my first one when I was 15, I'm 33 now so this isn't a "new" hobby for me. I recently started to model some of them after military kits for the fun of it. *Shrugs*

I shoot two gun so they do get used, it's not just completely to be Tacti-Cool. :p

I'm a Daniel Defense dealer and I had to order some inventory for the store so I decided to order a 12 inch RIS II in Dark Earth for a new winter project. I just picked up a new toy that has a 14.5 inch barrel, it needed a rail, I figured why not...

I happen to like pics of cool boy gear.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/USPx4/MARSOC.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7360/2qu3fwg.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_3hPLk7FccgY/TCCtqpoik0I/AAAAAAAABPU/VwwpnWAhzIY/DD%20M4A1%20RIS%20II%205.JPG

Thanks for the pictures. Do you happen to know what magazine that article came out of? Would be curious to read the whole thing.

From what I've seen in the pictures from AKO and the interwebs, most of the people running the 14.5" barrel with the M4A1 RIS II are the Ranger Batts and the MARSOC guys. Almost all of the SF dudes I see are rocking the 10.whatever length barrels with the Mk 18 RIS II.

It's a the Mk18 RIS II 9.5 inch and the 10.3 inch barrel. Your right, most of the SF guys are running the CQB setup but from what I've seen they also run some 12/14.5's. I was having a hard time finding a good picture though.

I've also seen some of the Mk18 RIS II rails on 14.5 inch barrels too.

Same guns different flavors I guess...

madisonsfinest
01-02-11, 22:03
He has a pretty cool SF weapon :)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/MaDiSoNsFiNeSt/61136_10100128980104717_8651420_58836934_6882823_n.jpg

Stickman
01-02-11, 22:11
I've also seen some of the Mk18 RIS II rails on 14.5 inch barrels too.

Same guns different flavors I guess...

Where have you seen a military weapon with a 14.5" barrel using a MK18 RIS II rail?

Whootsinator
01-02-11, 22:39
Professional Soldiers got lightfighter beat on that one.

Beat me to it. Professional Soldiers is the single most closed and unwelcoming community I have ever encountered. A great resource to get tons of info, just don't bother opening your mouth.

Whootsinator
01-02-11, 22:42
He has a pretty cool SF weapon :)
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/MaDiSoNsFiNeSt/61136_10100128980104717_8651420_58836934_6882823_n.jpg

I thought SF ditched SF patches when actually deployed in an SF unit, and then if they ended up non-SF they would (if they choose) wear an SF patch just as a mark of pride?

I've been totally wrong before. I probably am again. At least I've never told anyone this particular misconception, lol.

pezboy
01-04-11, 08:32

US Army Ranger

9111B
01-04-11, 14:20
I thought SF ditched SF patches when actually deployed in an SF unit, and then if they ended up non-SF they would (if they choose) wear an SF patch just as a mark of pride?

I've been totally wrong before. I probably am again. At least I've never told anyone this particular misconception, lol.

What SF wears depends on their mission. If they are in the middle of Afghanistan, trying to blend in, far away from a FOB, doubt they are going to wear anything that screams ARMY. If however they are in the middle of Camp Liberty, they probably wear a normal Uniform.

jostha2007
01-04-11, 15:18
Beat me to it. Professional Soldiers is the single most closed and unwelcoming community I have ever encountered. A great resource to get tons of info, just don't bother opening your mouth.

Not that I am SF, or anything like that, but Professional Soldiers is a site ran by and for SOF guys. The rest of us are just guests, so yeah, they seem hard and unfreindly but that is because they dont want their site turning into another (EBR focused site).com

No disrespect, but I understand why they have zero tolerance there.