PDA

View Full Version : Gym Jones

theblackknight
12-21-10, 10:24
http://www.gymjones.com/index.php

"We train in preparation for sport-specific tests or work-related challenges, we do not train for the sake of it or because conditioning is our sport or hobby. We don't do this because we want to look a certain way or to lose weight (these are consequences). We suffer during training to improve ourselves physically and psychologically and we measure those improvements on mountains, on frozen waterfalls, in burning buildings, facing cunning adversaries, on the battlefield, on the mat and in the cage. Because these tests occur outside the gym we don't compete in the gym, we work hard, and we work together to make the sum greater than its individual parts. Cheating here won't help us get where we are going so we enforce all quality all of the time.

That's our yardstick, how long is yours? "

comprido
12-21-10, 15:07
Ok.

Not sure what replies you are expecting, but that paragraph is Twight thumbing his nose at Crossfit. (Crossfit originally was supposed to be about improving athletic performance, but has morphed into a sport of its own, where people are more interested in their Fran time than actually getting out on the field.) The "all quality all of the time" might be a reference to CF's infamous and often ridiculed statement that '20% slop' (slop here meaning form degradation) is allowed while doing their workouts. I could be wrong.

I find Twight's punk rock rhetoric tiresome myself, but appreciate a jab at CF all the same.

Tamaon
12-22-10, 09:55
Is this the gym that trained the actors in the movie "300"?

VooDoo6Actual
12-22-10, 13:01
Yes it is.

Steve_Morrison
12-23-10, 14:45
that paragraph is Twight thumbing his nose at Crossfit.

Maybe-- or it could just be Mark making a statement about who they are and what they do at GymJones.

I don't perceive Mark making as big a deal about Crossfit as all the commentators do. He's always been very focused and performance driven, and a stickler for details-- GymJones is a reflection of that.

theblackknight
12-23-10, 17:54
Ok.

Not sure what replies you are expecting, .

Wasnt expecting any. Im trying to share info with like minded people,and I'm a sucker for moto-quotes. The quoted text in the OP is like the fitness version of the true believer quote.

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"

A 7th group 18D.

Hammer27
12-27-10, 19:20
Gym Jones has good stuff, so does Crossfit.

I think anyone who is serious isn't going to take one method and do it all the time. He/she is going to take what he wants out of each school of thought and ditch what doesn't work.

Diet is all about variety with a focused goal, your workouts should be the same.

tgace
12-27-10, 20:23
Jones-Crossfit...same kool-aid different flavors IMO. :)

dookie1481
12-27-10, 22:23
Is this the gym that trained the actors in the movie "300"?

Yeah...and rumor had it that they were overtrained and crushed for about 2 months after filming...