PDA

View Full Version : Question about Triggers >>>

dj_dub
12-21-10, 11:59
A family member of mine advised that I should change the trigger in my combat rifle from the Timney Trigger to just a "standard/regular" trigger.

Here's the exact trigger I currently have installed in my combat rifle:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=564523

He didn't really explain why. So now I'm left confused. :confused: Why would it be more benefical for me if I had a standard/regular type trigger opposed to a match/competition type trigger in a combat rifle? I'm still pretty new to this whole AR thing, so any and all input is greatly appreciated! :cool:

Pic of my rifle for reference:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/5247544767_c5b3dbc80c_b.jpg

rsgard
12-21-10, 13:12
ive seen several people on this forum suggest the basic trigger for a combat rifle or self def rifle. I inferred it was for reliability issues but if there is something else im also curious to know

Skyyr
12-21-10, 13:27
ive seen several people on this forum suggest the basic trigger for a combat rifle or self def rifle. I inferred it was for reliability issues but if there is something else im also curious to know

That's correct. Complex, two-stage and/or adjustable accuracy-oriented triggers = more parts and more points of failure. Stick with standard GI triggers from a quality LPK. The only non-GI triggers you'll see referenced here for combat/self-defense rifles are Geissele triggers, primarily the SSA.

MistWolf
12-21-10, 16:11
That's correct. Complex, two-stage and/or adjustable accuracy-oriented triggers = more parts and more points of failure. Stick with standard GI triggers from a quality LPK. The only non-GI triggers you'll see referenced here for combat/self-defense rifles are Geissele triggers, primarily the SSA.

How is an AR two stage trigger more complex? Do they have an added sear or link?

I only question that two stage triggers are more complicated, not adjustable triggers

arizona98tj
12-21-10, 17:42
Where I train, competition/precision triggers are not recommended on self defense or combat rifles as the trigger pull is usually too light. Loss of fine motor skill that comes with an adrenalin dump (high stress) does not work well with a light trigger. And the more parts they have, the less reliable they are.

CoryCop25
12-21-10, 18:30
I have this trigger on one of my "go to" rifles. I like it but if I could do it over again, I would get the 4lb instead. The light trigger pull has given me an extra round a couple of times during hammer drills. Although they were on target, it was an unexpected shot fired. I am a big fan of my SSAs and this Timney may be switched over to a different lighter use rifle. I do think that the trigger is durable enough for defense work. They are very solid. Not SSA solid but close.

Whootsinator
12-21-10, 19:05
The only non-GI triggers you'll see referenced here for combat/self-defense rifles are Geissele triggers, primarily the SSA.

The others that are usually considered 'good to go' are the KAC and LMT 2-stage triggers.

Skyyr
12-22-10, 08:35
The others that are usually considered 'good to go' are the KAC and LMT 2-stage triggers.

I forgot about those. Doh! Yes, you're right, good to go as well.

Artiz
12-22-10, 10:13
Combat AR-15 = combat proven trigger. ;)

DaBears_85
12-22-10, 12:11

Does the SSA have the same 4 lb. pull as a USGI trigger?

Skyyr
12-22-10, 13:05
Does the SSA have the same 4 lb. pull as a USGI trigger?

In my experience, most USGI triggers have an ~8lb pull, unless they've been jacked up by a DIY'er. That aside, the SSA is a two-stage 4.5lb trigger, with a 2.5lb first stage and 2lb second stage.

royta
12-23-10, 16:29
double post

royta
12-23-10, 16:30

How about the SSA-E?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

red_star_republic
12-30-10, 18:28
I thought a minute before throwing my two cents in on this one and remembered a few things about triggers on firearms.

I recalled a certain person who installed a competition style trigger on a Glock service pistol. Long story short it didn't end well and new policy was put into place.

But then I reme,bered all this training I'd been sent to that talked about high stress situations and it's ability to affect the way you squeeze (or jerk) a trigger.

Think about a shoot / don't shoot situations. You put your finger on the trigger and the situation changes quickly but the trigger is so responsive that BAM! you made a mistake. That's real talk and its preached a lot.

I think that might be one of the main reasons you don't see a lot of single stage three pound triggers on AR15 service rifles.

That being siad the unit you have is a great trigger and if you're looking ot sell it let me know :sarcastic: