PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio (i.e. radio) help

adh
12-21-10, 15:01
Got a 2000 Jeep Wrangler.

Radio/CD Player works just fine except for the volume control. When I try to raise or lower the volume, it could go either way regarldless of what I'm trying to do. Was consdering replacing it with a radio that would be compatible with my Ipod. A buddy of mine suggested that I should be able to fix the volume thing pretty easily (probably) and just get some sort of kit to make it Ipod compatible. Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

ADH

kal
12-21-10, 15:57
Replace the head unit with an aftermarket. You're having problems with it anyway.

For around 100-150 dollars, you can get a decent aftermarket head unit that plays CDs in WAV/WMA/MP3/etc etc etc and have an AUX input capability for your Ipod.

You also should buy a wiring harness so you don't have to cut up wires to install the new head unit.

Robb Jensen
12-21-10, 15:59
I had a similar problem with the stereo in my 2001 Ranger. I then installed a Alpine XM/MP3 player head unit that doesn't even have a CD player. I was only about $200. Most of the time I only listen to my iPod or XM radio anyway.

Bobert0989
12-23-10, 05:11
If you're not huge into aftermarket expansion (assuming not, if you're running a factory head-unit and asking IF you should upgrade), you'd be just fine buying about the cheapest unit you can find locally with an AUX port, front or rear, however front is much more convenient in some ways. Jensen, JVC, Kenwood, even Eclipse all make a decent "entry-level" unit with available AUX inputs.

If you want something BUILT for the iPod interface, look to a higher-grade JVC, Eclipse, Alpine, Clarion, etc. Many of these companies offer specific expansions for iPod compatibility, rather than just a standard AUX input. Be careful buying a used Eclipse unit, as they have a security option that some users activate that can be a real PITA if they don't have or remember which CD they used when setting it up.

And as stated above, spend the extra $15-20 on the vehicle specific wiring harness adapter. It splices directly to the aftermarket Head-Unit and plugs into the stock harness, so you don't have to modify it at all. Easier to convert back to stock later, and saves A LOT of time in the initial installation.

If you aren't very tech-savvy with mobile electronics, a shop should be able to get you set-up for around/under $200 with a low-end head-unit and installation. Please don't pay more than about $65-70 labor... it's a 15-20 minute job on that vehicle.

Let us know if you need more help with it... PM me if you like, I've done it for years!

~Bobby

adh
12-23-10, 07:19
thanks for the suggestions...will let you know how it goes

kal
12-23-10, 11:51
thanks for the suggestions...will let you know how it goes

Don't forget the subwoofers.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5r3C8ooB2I

Caeser25
12-23-10, 14:33
mom and pop stores are much more knowledgeable than best buy, you'll pay lil more but it will be done right not by a high school fast and furious wannabe.