PDA

View Full Version : Kit recommendations

redfernsoljah
12-21-10, 19:35
This is a new thread in response to others posted about kit. These are my opinions and your milage may vary. Please feel free to keep this on topic and related to care in different scenarios. As well as training on medicine. Thanks now onto the subject at hand.
---------------------------------

The following is a kit that is able to treat up to 3 severely injured people. More than that and one person could not be abel to manage. See explanations below outlining care. Most of these ideas are run off of tactical medicine or TC3. By no means am I an expert or can give a definitive answer to medicine I am just in tactical medicine and have used the below with great success. Nothing replaces training.

redfernsoljah
12-21-10, 19:36
PPE (Personnel Protective Equipment) Explanation 1

30 - Gloves non Latex Large
Glasses Protective Clear

redfernsoljah
12-21-10, 19:36
Airway Explanation 2

6 - Hyfin Chest Seals
4- Needle Decompression Kits
(14G x 3.25)
4- Nasopharyngeal 28F w/ surgilube packet
2- Petroleum Gauze 3x18
Pocket Mouth to Mouth Kit

redfernsoljah
12-21-10, 19:37
Hemorrhaging Control Explanation 3

4- Combat Gauze (Quickclot)
10- Rolled Gauze Compressed type
4- 4” Emergency Trauma Bandages (Israeli)
1- Abdominal Emergency Trauma Bandage
6- Improved Combat Application Tourniquets

redfernsoljah
Management

2- Hypothermia Space Blanket
2- Trauma Shears
1- Headlamp LED with extra batteries partial to petzl or surefire saint.
4- 2” Surgical Tape rolls
1- Roll 2” Duct Tape Type at least 5 yards
2- Triangle Bandages
10- Tounge Depressors
10- Q-Tips
30- Bandaids Regular
2- Triangular Bandages
3- Sam Splints
Mole Skin
Alcohol Pads (for drying up blisters)

redfernsoljah
Cases

Pelican 1500EMS
(Great for a vehicle. Easily Organized)
Black Hawk Stomp
(If You want to be mobile)

redfernsoljah
12-21-10, 19:38
MedicationsExplanation 4

Antibiotic Cream Tube or Packets

redfernsoljah
Publications

Ranger Medic Handbook
Wilderness Medicine
Search Tactical Combat Casualty Care

redfernsoljah
Training

NOLS - Wilderness Medicine Institute
Wilderness Medicine
TC3 Classes
Tactical Medicine

redfernsoljah
12-21-10, 19:39
Links for Equipment

North American Rescue
http://www.narescue.com

Tactical Survival Specialties
http://www.tacsurv.com/

Petzl
http://www.petzl.com

Pelican
http://www.pelican.com

Surefire
http://www.surefire.com

Forum Vendors please post up what you offer.

redfernsoljah
12-21-10, 19:39
Explanation 1:

Make sure gloves are packaged well and checked regularly as they are susceptible to heat and cold as well as chemical contaminates. I would recommend Non Latex Gloves to avoid allergy problems. Check all equipment regularly and perhaps bi-yearly come up with a check list for the equipment you need. If you have anything that has expiration dates annotate that on checklist with the date to change out. Replace anything used even if just a bandaid. This is your and others lifeline.

Gloves are a must as well as eye protection for your safety. Never forget about the surroundings always be aware of what hazards are there or may end up being there. You can always relocate patient to treat minor injuries. Suggestions for this would be to keep a small kit such size of an IFAK containing 2- tourniquets an israeli dressing and Gauze to control major hemorrhaging. Then move patient to area of safety.

Explanation 2:

Anything beyond what is represented is a case for Advanced Support or continued care. With your resources and skills limited you would unlikely be able to provide proper care. Treat and save what you can. Most areas in the US are within an hour of a Hospital or some type of EVAC if not in a WTF gone to hell situation. With training kit can be supplemented by a BVM and King LTD. Do not use airway products suggested above without basic knowledge and training of there effects.

Explanation 3:

Ability to have on hand to treat most types of hemorrhaging. You must realize that for severe bleeding and chest wounds advanced care will be required. Contact Advanced CARE Immediately. Vascular access will be required and beyond the scope presented here.

Explanation 4:

There are way to many variables here. Indications and contraindications. It is safer for you to leave up to advanced care or licensed care even over the counter medications. If you would like add your own OTC medications for personal use. Good items would be:
Loperamide, Ibuprofen, Pepto-Bismol Tablets, Tylenol, Sudafed. YOu can add to this only suggestions. Remember expiration dates and that heat and cold can and will have an effect on these medications.

redfernsoljah
12-21-10, 19:43
In closing this is by no means “all inclusive” or “all encompassing”. I do believe that much more can be overkill and a waste of time and money. There are more than enough things here to treat a multitude of injuries and up to three of the most severely wounded personnel. Again nothing substitutes proper training and refresher skills. Your mileage will vary.

Good Luck,

Doc Fry
Redfernsoljah

OIF Veteran
Medical NCO

rosalind
06-12-12, 00:33
Explanation 1:

Make sure gloves are packaged well and checked regularly as they are susceptible to heat and cold as well as chemical contaminates. I would recommend Non Latex Gloves to avoid allergy problems. Check all equipment regularly and perhaps bi-yearly come up with a check list for the equipment you need. If you have anything that has expiration dates annotate that on checklist with the date to change out. Replace anything used even if just a bandaid. This is your and others lifeline.

Gloves are a must as well as eye protection for your safety. Never forget about the surroundings always be aware of what hazards are there or may end up being there. You can always relocate patient to treat minor injuries. Suggestions for this would be to keep a small kit such size of an IFAK containing 2- tourniquets an israeli dressing and Gauze to control major hemorrhaging. Then move patient to area of safety.

Explanation 2:

Anything beyond what is represented is a case for Advanced Support or continued care. With your resources and skills limited you would unlikely be able to provide proper care. Treat and save what you can. Most areas in the US are within an hour of a Hospital or some type of EVAC if not in a WTF gone to hell situation. With training kit can be supplemented by a BVM and King LTD. Do not use airway products suggested above without basic knowledge and training of there effects.

Explanation 3:

Ability to have on hand to treat most types of hemorrhaging. You must realize that for severe bleeding and chest wounds advanced care will be required. Contact Advanced CARE Immediately. Vascular access will be required and beyond the scope presented here.

Explanation 4:

There are way to many variables here. Indications and contraindications. It is safer for you to leave up to advanced care or licensed care even over the counter medications. If you would like add your own OTC medications for personal use. Good items would be:
Loperamide, Ibuprofen, Pepto-Bismol Tablets, Tylenol, Sudafed. YOu can add to this only suggestions. Remember expiration dates and that heat and cold can and will have an effect on these medications.

Well, The given tips are very much true. Gloves are very much necessary for eyes protection. You can always impel patient to cure the injuries that are minor.

Caduceus
06-12-12, 10:04
Well this can be fun ... I'll have more comments to add later today, but for now:
-I think your numbers are off on the supplies. ie, why 6 hyphins? Are you planning in & out lung shots on everyone? I'd like to see why you pick those numbers. Personally I might pack 2, and improve if need more.
- Pet peeve: antibiotic ointment. Just takes up space. There's no cut that can't wait an hour for some neosporin and a bandaid.
- trauma shears - 1 is fine.

OK, I'll add more when my shift ends.

Edit ... OK I'm back. Assuming this is for a civilian, US-type environment. I think if we're talking OEF or rural Alaska we could get really off topic.
-I'd ditch all the q-tip, bandaid type stuff. If this is truly a trauma kit, it's just un-necessary junk cluttering. Nothing life threatening will be treated with a Q-tip.
-Ditto the alcohol pads
- STOMP bag is overkill for that little stuff. I think the tri-fold medic kit could hold it all. If not, there are plenty of smaller duffel-style bags
-Good point below me from Hizzie on the mouth-to-mouth. Depending how big you pack, might be a waste of time - if you have room, sure. I'd much prefer a BVM over it, and it doesn't require much training. Better oxygen delivery as well. But once you start it, you're glued to it.
-Skip the books. In a trauma situation, in an urban/suburban US environment with a hospital < 1 hour away, you won't have the time to really look stuff up. OK in the back of an ambulance or something, but not IN the FAK.
-Agree that it's not in this post, but I'd like at least 1 bag of hespan or something similar, with associated stuff to get it working.

Hizzie
06-12-12, 12:55
Having just completed TCCC I have to ask why a mouth2mouth barrier is included in your kit? You have NeedleD's but no Cric kits. Why?

TahoeLT
06-19-12, 11:14
I agree that there is some confusion about the intent of this kit--if for major trauma, there is a lot of extra stuff. If more general, there is a heavy lean towards major trauma, and lots of other stuff left out. Some little things--like 2 thermal blankets for 3 patients.

You said "anything beyond...is a case for Advanced Support", but include a needle decomp kit. If this is for civilian use, that's advanced support...

Overall, a good basis to start a kit, but you should define intent and environment better. If this is austere/remote conditions, things like AB ointment makes more sense, for example. Combat use would involve a lot of things that civvies shouldn't be getting into without proper certification (and hence they should know a lot of this already).