PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not use a vfg?

Hillbilly
12-21-10, 23:21
There is another thread here but i did not want to hijack that one so i thought i would start a new one. Vfg's just don't seem to fit me very well. What really seems to work is to wrap my hand around the rail and then place my index finger through the fsb. Obviously i had to wrap it to deal with the heat. Just wondered if anyone else tried this or if there might be something i was missing by doing this, or even an alternate hand placement. thanks

marco.g
12-21-10, 23:35
im not sure how many rounds you shoot in a session or in how fast you shoot them, but my fsb and barrel become very hot. its almost uncomfortable holding them with mechanix gloves for more than a few seconds. try keeping your thumb on the top with your other fingers underneath. are you using a rail system, or plastic handguards? Also what length is your gas system?

Dos Cylindros
12-21-10, 23:36
Well, I have never heard of placing the finger through the FSB but I do go back and forth about VFG, no VFG. Obviously when I was first introduced to AR's there were no VFG's, but I do find them handy.

Turnkey11
12-21-10, 23:39
I use a handstop or nothing at all, even stubby vfg's are too much for me.

Dunderway
12-21-10, 23:46
I've never used one.

Brahmzy
12-21-10, 23:49
I use TD stubby VFGs as handstops only. Never could do the AFG thing.

Rys06TBSS
12-21-10, 23:53
I just ordered one... Figure Ill give it a shot. If I dont like it, Ill just get rid of it

Scotter260
12-21-10, 23:55
I likely don't know what I'm doing but I don't anymore. I used to then switched to an AFG. In an attempt to lighten up my SBR I dumped it adding two six rib panels to one side and bottom and a five-rib panel to the light equipped side at the very front of my M4 RAS. I'd had full-length panels all the way around and a short one behind the AFG prior to this so while the new set-up isn't as light as I could get it, it is lighter than what I was used to.

I found the intended application of the AFG didn't work on a carbine length system, at least for me. I did put an AFG on a friend's 6920 as far forward as possible on a RAS and that was better but I've found I like how I've got mine at the time plus putting an AFG that far forward almost certainly would lead to the greatly increased probability of grasping the FSB.

My new favorite lightweight carbine has standard M4 handguards with all the liners except one on the bottom removed and I'm gaffawed at how handy and light that carbine is everytime I pick it up. I've had no heat issues although I'm not a high volume shooter burning through 200 rounds max during a session.

I've gotten the FSB on both my SBR and the new lightweight hot but so far I've not had a problem burning myself. Having my hand all the way forward on the handguard/RAS is new to me but I'm working on grasping the exact same place to avoid touching the FSB.

My current plan is to eventually put MOE handguards on both of them for uniformity and weight savings.

Failure2Stop
12-21-10, 23:59
What really seems to work is to wrap my hand around the rail and then place my index finger through the fsb.

That is a sub-optimal technique.

If you don't want to use a VFG, no problem, but I encourage shooters to keep their hands on the parts of the gun that won't give them third degree burns after a few mags and provides uniformity of grip
throughout the positions.

Hillbilly
12-22-10, 00:13
yea i know it gets hot. I have wrapped it in some 500 degree tape. I have not run a class worth of mags through it yet so not really sure how hot it would still get on quick mag changes and not for sure it is even a plausible idea. Just trying out something new and looking for other ideas. Really what i was trying to get said is that placing the index finger there is the most comfortable and seems to offer the most control to drive the gun and wondered if anyone else has any similar ideas on hand placement. The afg is ok and the vfg is ok but both tend to twist my wrist a little too much. It's ok for now and then but with extended training it's a bit much. It's a mid-length gas system and rails. thanks to all

Eric
12-22-10, 00:56
That is a sub-optimal technique.

If you don't want to use a VFG, no problem, but I encourage shooters to keep their hands on the parts of the gun that won't give them third degree burns after a few mags and provides uniformity of grip
throughout the positions.
Not to mention its a great way to break a finger if you need to get busy.

MistWolf
12-22-10, 05:22
Not to mention its a great way to break a finger if you need to get busy.

This. Or even lose a finger

mrosamilia
12-22-10, 07:08
I just received the Magpul AFG, and have to admit it feels great on my SCAR 16S. I will try it out at the range after work today.

SA80Dan
12-22-10, 07:45
No VFG for me....personally find they just get in the way and are a pita when shooting from barricades and other makeshift rests.

AlphaKoncepts
12-22-10, 08:06
I used to use a combo vertical foregrip/bipod by Mako, I think. I didn't like the foregrip. I find I can control recoil better by wrapping my hand where the front sight post is, however using an extended rail like the DD Lite FSP prevents burns to my hand.

JSantoro
12-22-10, 08:08
My Noveske upper with the SWS rail, I use a TD stubby.

My BCM upper with a Troy 10" MRF-MX, I use a Gear Sector handstop near the front. I hook my "social" finger in front of that, index is....uh, indexed, I guess...along the side, thumb ends up either in the space between the side and vertical rail or wrapped over the top.

There's aspects of both that I like a lot, without feeling the need to choose. That's the problem with having options, sometimes. It makes for a fantastic excuse to remain indecisive.

sadmin
12-22-10, 08:09
I moved away from VFGs as well; GS handstops are the route for me.

edited to add - I use it in a slightly diff. way than Mr. Santoro; I index my index...like when using a MOE guard with the lip on the front. I will try my social finger though at my next outing.

Merry Christmas & Good Shooting!

Alpha Sierra
12-22-10, 08:23
I don't use anything. Just grab it by the handguards. I don't need any more reference points to hold my rifle the same way every time.

MCS
12-22-10, 08:34
I have not used one yet, but I am considering giving it a try.

Outlander Systems
12-22-10, 10:30
What really seems to work is to wrap my hand around the rail and then place my index finger through the fsb.

April fools!!!!! :laugh:

sapper36
12-22-10, 11:09
I used them for awhile but found that I prefer just having a handstop.

pezboy
12-22-10, 11:22
I wouldn't suggest putting your finger through the FSB even with tape on it. When firing only a mag or two (though in the winter I suppose it would take more) the FSB and handguard cap are way too hot to touch. I try to always wear gloves when firing but I especially do when firing a carbine length gas system with FSB and no VFG since it is easy for your hand to slip forward and touch the handguard cap, FSB, or barrel.
I have some with VFGs, some with stubby VFGs (used as a handstop), one with a KAC hand stop, and some with none. On short handguards I prefer the VFGs (if there are large accessories on the side rails) or none. On longer handguards I prefer the stubby VFGs, hand stop, or none.
Dustin

Evolution
12-22-10, 11:31
I admit to being a novice in the AR world, but I added a DD VFG and I'm quite happy with it.

I find the rifle easier to hold for extended shooting periods; but understand, my extended shooting periods are all stationary at an indoor range.

VMI-MO
12-22-10, 11:38
I have gone back and forth between a VFG and a handstop.

If I am looking at the system for just shooting, i rock a Handstop.

However if I am looking at more real world applications I use a VFG.

PJ

skyugo
12-23-10, 00:38
you're definitely going to hurt yourself doing this.. if you revert to this technique accidently during a high round count class or something you're gonna be hitting the ER. :eek:

you might wan to consider a rifle length rail or a dissipator (BCM has a nice one with a middy gas system) if you like having your hand out further like that.

Don Robison
12-23-10, 01:22
Gotta say hooking the finger inside the FSB in one I haven't seen before; not sure I want to either.

I don't use a VFG; I gave the AFG a go, but soon went back slick. Sights, sling and a light are the only things on my carbines these days.

markm
12-23-10, 09:23
I've never used one.

Same here. I hate it when someone hands me his gun to try and there's one of those things on there. It totally messes me up.

RogerinTPA
12-23-10, 10:14
I tried one when they first came out, for about a month. It just didn't feel right after having years of using a TD VFG, so I switched back.

jklaughrey
12-23-10, 10:21
Gear sector hand stops, they just work better. VFG for me just doesn't feel right. After trying many styles and manufacturer's VFG's just add extra weight/bulk.

An Undocumented Worker
12-23-10, 12:11
Don't like em one bit. I just leave the JP/Vtac rail bare cept for the light mount, and the sling pivot works for a handstop.

PatEgan
12-23-10, 12:26
I've tried a VFG and an AFG, and dumped both in favor of the La Rue handstops. Wish I knew about them before.

Pat

J8127
12-23-10, 13:28
Right now I am down to slick but will be giving handstops a try. I used to use a VFG until I learned how to hold a gun right and now I don't. The AFG doesn't work for me either. Just a couple ladder panels to keep the rails from biting me.

Skang
12-23-10, 13:37
Right now I am down to slick but will be giving handstops a try. I used to use a VFG until I learned how to hold a gun right and now I don't. The AFG doesn't work for me either. Just a couple ladder panels to keep the rails from biting me.

same here, but care to share what is holding gun right?

Mjolnir
12-23-10, 19:55
I use TD stubby VFGs as handstops only...

Ditto. I also use them as storage containers for extractor and ejector assemblies.