PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Comp M 2MOA, Looking for realworld experience.

Th3Revreant
12-22-10, 01:32
I'm picking up a legit aimpoint CompM for $100 from my local gun shop. everything works, a little used but works fine and glass is clear and looks to be new. Anyone have any realworld experience with this particular optic? ***Update*** Sight is a CompM sight, looks to be a 2MOA dot, check the video out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYOaR-w2vzs

JStor
12-22-10, 15:05
Do you mean the ML2? That would have a 4 moa dot, I believe.

The ML2 is a great sight. It only lacks the night vision settings of the M2. The only advantage the newer versions have is longer battery life.

Sorry if I have misunderstood, and you are referring to some other model.

Th3Revreant
12-22-10, 15:22
its the CompML sight, was produced from 1997 until 1999, has a 2MOA dot and low mount. Ill post pics when i get it tomorrow. Im going with it because it is an aimpoint and its only going to cost me $100. I carried an ML2 in the military and the only thing I can tell the difference with between the two is the ML2 is a little lighter and supposedly better on battery life.

Harv
12-22-10, 20:28
If I recall correctly, the Comp ML2 has a 4MOA dot.. the 2MOA was not introduced until the M3.
SO be wary as to what your actually getting for $100.

and as to real world experience... there are over 1.5MM Aimpoints in various models issued to our Armed forces and have been used in over 10 yrs of continuous combat operations.... I would think that should cover the "real world" part.

sinister
12-22-10, 20:33
That's a good deal.

I still shoot a Comp M and a Comp ML.

A dot's a dot.

Th3Revreant
12-22-10, 21:21
***Update*** The sight is an Aimpoint CompM, has 9 brightness settings, 2 of which are NV settings. It is a real Aimpoint, says "Made in Sweden" on the side and called Aimpoint today to verify it as real. As far as the dot goes, looks alot smaller than a 4MOA dot, will post pics soon. I have a LaRue QD mount on order for this sight, just has a single ring with the knob to secure the sight(works pretty well actually).
Watch the video, lmk if you can tell by the size of the dot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYOaR-w2vzs

Skyfire1201
12-26-10, 11:52
I bought a CompM back in 1999 before Aimpoint came out with the XD (eXtreme Duty) model, this was way before the current gen M2, M3 and M4 models. I clearly remember it being a 2MOA dot when I bought it, and comparing it with my 3.5MOA Insight MRDS confirms that.

After 10 years, the sight is still going strong and I'm running it on my BCM middy. I had to change out the battery once (despite not using it a lot, the battery eventualy went out), and that's about it. I'd carry at least one backup battery just in case (the Larue LT-150 has a battery compartment built in, which is great for this purpose), since the run time on this unit is measured in months, not years like the newer models.

It fits all the newer Aimpoint mounts designed for the M2/M3 etc just fine, being a 30mm tube and all.

Submariner
12-27-10, 17:25
The CompM/MLs we bought after trading 4 Eoturds for a new 1000 gallon tank filled with propane were 3 MOA (7 MOA electrically reduced to 3 MOA.) From a contemporaneous article by Jeff Gonzales:

The CompM™ comes in 3, 7 and 10 MOA dot sizes. (http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume4/number3/article431.htm)

A dot's a dot.

True, sir. Nevertheless, that series, as well as the XD (extreme duty, as in better battery life,) had a two piece body. M2/ML2s went to single-tube construction to improve watertightness as well as greatly improving battery life.

Th3Revreant
12-27-10, 23:14
thanks for all the replies, helps alot and I know I got a great optic. I dont see the need to spend anymore on a new sight just yet.