PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Question

BikerRN
12-22-10, 01:53
Howdy all.

I'm interested in getting one of the Remington 700 VTR's, IIRC. That's the one with the muzzle brake on it. I was curious what effect this muzzle brake may have on a scope, being that it redirects the gases from the recoil.

I've heard, but have no evidence of such, that putting a muzzle brake on such a gun can break the scope. I'm inclined to think this might be Gunshop Coffee Table talk, from someone not in the know, but I am not sure. I was wondering if any members here had any information on such.

If it matters, I'm looking at the .308 as a moderate distance coyote and deer rifle, with a maximum range of 500 Yards. The .308 may be capable of more, but I'm not. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Biker

Suwannee Tim
12-22-10, 05:39
I have a Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM with a forward mounted scope and a muzzle brake. The blast is quite close to the objective lens and I haven't had a problem.

Watrdawg
12-22-10, 07:19
I have a Remington 700 300 Win Mag with a muzzlebrake and have not had a single problem with my scope. I would think that as long as you have a quality scope you won't have any problems at all. A poor quality scope will give you problems regardless of shooting with a muzzlebrake or not.

BikerRN
12-23-10, 03:57
Thank you both.
After I posted this question, in multiple forums, I realized that I had shot a bunch of rifles with Muzzle Brakes as a kid and breaking the scope was never an issue.
Please consider my post a moment of brain flatulence. It's been way too long since I've played with rifles, and while the back of my mind was telling me that this guy was full of bovine fecal matter, I wanted to double check.

Biker

Suwannee Tim
12-23-10, 05:16
If you are getting into shooting Biker, you need to have that Bovine Fecal Matter Detector working at peak efficiency.

Redhat
12-23-10, 09:17
First clue to me is this...would Remington put a brake on a rifle "KNOWING" that rifle would probably have a scope on it if they thought it would damage the scope?

300WM
12-26-10, 19:47
I have a Remington 700 300 Win Mag with a muzzlebrake and have not had a single problem with my scope. I would think that as long as you have a quality scope you won't have any problems at all. A poor quality scope will give you problems regardless of shooting with a muzzlebrake or not.

Same here, no problems. I don't even get any residue on the lens.

Pain
12-27-10, 19:15
I run a Remington rifle, but had a YHM suppressor/flash hider mount, installed like an AR-15.

This gives a little break reduction, no more noise and no flash in low light. My scope likes it better.

It doubles as a suppressed rifle.....:laugh: