PDA

View Full Version : Installing new parts?

payj
12-22-10, 11:36
On Wilson Combat's site and it seems some things require "minor fitting" in the description. Items included grip safety, hammer few other items.

I was wondering how involved the "fitting" is. Would it be possible to do myself? Or does that basically mean "gunsmith required" lol.

thx

High Desert
12-22-10, 11:55
My thoughts and what I have seen from an amateur point of view....

I am in the process of installing a Wilson grip safety and new hammer and sear. All of these parts directly affect the safe operation of the pistol. I am going very slow, especially with the filing.

I have several reference manuals and 3 gunsmithing DVD's that cover this. My plan is to carefully fit the parts and then take it to a local gunsmith that has an excellent reputation with 1911's to check my work.

My opinion is it is not something you do on the kitchen table and I have invested several hundred dollars in tools and information so far and am not done. If it was a one off project you would be money ahead to pay to have it done in my opinion. I am doing it because I want to learn, build and maintain my own guns. I realize I wont be saving any money.

Hopefully one of the pro's will jump in.
HD

payj
12-22-10, 13:18
HD, you pretty much answered my question. You either need to take your time with the right tools or go to a gunsmith. It's not a quick file then drop in. Dang, was hoping it would be easier. Glad I asked instead of buying the parts, then asking lol.

Ok then, how about thumb safety? I should be able to just put that in right?

payj
12-22-10, 14:51
After doing some more research you have to "fit" the safety. This blows lol. I'm used to dropping stuff in on an AR. I have a gunsmith friend who does impressive work on guns. I will see if this is something he is able to do.

Irish10
12-22-10, 19:12
I have done quite a few over the years and while not a "drop in" part, nothing on a 1911 really is. You just need to take your time, stick with hand not power tools (i.e. dremel) and it helps to have the 1st volume of the Kunhausen 1911 manuals. Also, make sure you understand how to do a proper safety/function check, something that should be a must for all 1911 owners. I'd highly encourage you to give it a shot, it will give you a better understanding of how your pistol works and the feeling of satisfaction that comes with working on your own weapons!!

wesprt
12-22-10, 19:37
If I ever saw someone describing fitting a beavertail grip safety as "minor" fitting I would call them a liar. With few exceptions doing a clean job of fitting a new grip safety takes at least a couple of hours, in addition to the refinishing work and in some cases, welding. Ignition parts sometimes drop in and function fine but they don't generally take quite as long, especially if you have the right jigs for the job.

Redhat
12-22-10, 20:08
He might have the Wilson "Drop-in" grip safety.

I have one and you are not required to cut the frame for installation.

wesprt
12-22-10, 21:19
He might have the Wilson "Drop-in" grip safety.

I have one and you are not required to cut the frame for installation.

Tried one of those one time and it ended up being worse than the GI grip safety that was on it in the first place. Plus it looked like a bear's ass sewed up with logging chain. When I had the pistol completely rebuilt by a smith I had him replace it with a GI safety, bob it and bevel it. The result was very comfortable and minimized the metal hanging off the back of the gun while still allowing a good, high grip.

Pic of said gun
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t291/wesprt/IMG_0979.jpg

Redhat
12-22-10, 21:28
So are you insulting my parts selection?

wesprt
12-22-10, 21:41
If you consider relating a bad experience I had personally with the same part that (possibly) the OP is thinking about ordering as insulting, then yeah.. All I'm saying is that it sounded and looked like a good idea 'till it actually went on the gun. But I guess offering personal experiences and possible alternatives is too much to ask for in a thread.

Redhat
12-22-10, 21:52
Nah! Mine's in a box...been there for years

Like you I thought it'd be a good idea. I got it because I didn't want my frame cut. Didn't realize I would have to replace or bob the hammer. Tried it for a while and went back to the original.

tfltackdriver
12-24-10, 13:51
If it's something you depend on for your personal safety, send it to a professional. I am not above amateur gunsmithing for my range toys or for things that are cosmetic only.
I will work on anything on my car except the brakes -- not even replacing the brake pads.

Boothj
12-25-10, 09:41
Most things on a 1911 take fitting to be correct. Even some " drop in" parts. I'd send it to a smith, ( that knows what he's doing )

NavyDavy55
12-25-10, 17:20
Each part on a 1911 is manufactured with certain tolerances. Add all the parts together and the tolerances stack up. A gunsmith fits each part together to reduce the tolerance stack up.

I built one 1911 by taking lessons from a gunsmith. It took about six months, and a ton of cash, to complete the gun and it is as accurate and reliable as a light saber. The trigger is four pounds and breaks clean as can be.

The only stock parts left on the gun were the frame, slide, firing pin/spring and disconnector. I did about 90% of the work under the direct guidance of the gunsmith. Even now I wouldn't attempt to do one by myself.

wesprt
12-25-10, 18:52
Most things on a 1911 take fitting to be correct. Even some " drop in" parts. I'd send it to a smith, ( that knows what he's doing )

The only things that drop into a 1911 are $50 and $100 bills. :D

Pain
12-27-10, 16:44
To fit the safeties on a 1911 requires a nice flat file.

Normally, they need to be fit so they work properly. Just changing 1 part like the hammer could throw off thumb safety, where it may not work corectly.