PDA

View Full Version : What Glock trigger pull do you prefer?

cathellsk
12-22-10, 13:09
I've tried all manner of trigger pull options with my Glocks over the years. I finally settled on the standard 5.5lb setup a few years back but I'm wanting to try the "KSP trigger" again (NY1 trigger spring with 3.5lb, now referred to as 4.5lb, connector). I do know I want to stick to factory parts due to liability/reliability reasons.

To those that use this setup, how do you run the trigger? Do you allow the trigger to go fully forward or just to the reset? With the standard setup I release to reset but wasn't sure if the guys running the KSP setup forgo that because of the smoother pull.

The use for my Glocks with these pulls will be self defense. My other carry handguns are J frames and I'd like to have my Glocks pulls as similiar to those as possible.

Ga Shooter
12-22-10, 13:25
To me the best is a Ghost 3.5lb connector with everything else being stock. I like the reduced pull weight with a much cleaner break and reset. YMMV

JonnyVain
12-22-10, 13:34
To me the best is a Ghost 3.5lb connector with everything else being stock. I like the reduced pull weight with a much cleaner break and reset. YMMV

I'm looking at getting their 3.5 rocket or 5 tactical. I want to reduce the overtravel. I think that will cure what ails my trigger pull. I find my hand twitching after the break.

Kchen986
12-22-10, 13:44
I use a Ghost Ranger 4.5# connector. Firm, crisp reset, slightly lighter break, relatively clean break, and no over travel.

I like it, FWIW.

mpd046
12-22-10, 13:54
I changed to an oem "-" connector and kept everything else stock. I like the lighter trigger pull, but I miss the trigger reset that the old connector had.

NCPatrolAR
12-22-10, 14:16
Over the years Ive used the factory set up, the NY1 -, the NY2 standard (work-mandated at the time), and the OEM spring -. I've standardized on the OEM spring - connector setup. For me, it's the best setup out there. While the NY1 - setup was ok at first, I didn't care for how forceful the reset was and found it to be a distraction

Wayneard3413
12-22-10, 14:41
After trying a few different setups I have decided on a factory "-" connector and and a GlockWorx trigger spring.

After trying two different companies aftermarket connectors and having both of them cause malfunctions (including my pistol ripping off 3 rounds from retention during a class) I have decided it simply isn't worth the very small advantage you might pick up.

Ga Shooter
12-22-10, 14:41
I'm looking at getting their 3.5 rocket or 5 tactical. I want to reduce the overtravel. I think that will cure what ails my trigger pull. I find my hand twitching after the break.

The 3.5 is just the right balance for me with a lighter pull but not so light as to be a target for a trial lawyer and takes the overtravel away. I swear by these things.

mpom
12-22-10, 16:31
Ghost Rocket 5 lb (tactical) with extra power coil spring; all other parts stock, but polished.
Gets me a 5 lb, smooth, crisp pull with minimal overtravel and great reset.
This is on my G27 & 19. G27 for carry and competition, 19 for wife and home defense.

MP

300WM
12-22-10, 16:33
My Glock triggers are as they were when I bought them. I joke a little about them, but they are actually not that bad. I do not know enough about the things you guys are discussing to make a comment on what I prefer.

opmike
12-22-10, 18:58
After a lot of tinkering over the years, I have a preference for pure stock with a factory "-" connector.

mpd046
12-22-10, 19:06
I've always been curious how many guys have put "-" connectors into duty weapons with or without their department's approval. I imagine it's more than a handful.

varoadking
12-22-10, 19:14
Glock "-" connector and #6 trigger spring...

CoryCop25
12-22-10, 19:17
My work guns are set up with the NY1 with - connector. All my other Glocks are set up with the standard spring and - connector.

NCPatrolAR
12-22-10, 19:17
I've always been curious how many guys have put "-" connectors into duty weapons with or without their department's approval. I imagine it's more than a handful.

I have one in my backup(G26)

12-22-10, 19:22

I had one in my duty G22. The ONLY change was the connector. I didn't do any polishing, etc.

bobafett
12-22-10, 23:02
When I shot GSSF I thought a 3.5 would improve my game, I ended up liking the standard 5# set up.

JonInWA
12-23-10, 07:26
On most of mine (G17, G19, G21) I'm quite pleased with the standard coil spring/standard connector-my G17 in particular has an excellent triggerpull. On my G34 I prefer the "-" 4.5 lb connector with a NY1 spring-I like the short reset with a crisp, discernable reset point.

All of my Glocks are Gen 3. On my G19, I'm also running the latest triggerbar, with the "dogleg" arm for the coil spring's attachment (the one with the bend and channel for the spring)-it's slight more rigid than the previous OEM triggerbar, and seems to yield a very crisp, but slightly heavier triggerpull-somewhere between 5.5 lbs and 6.5 lbs is my guess.

Best, Jon

rburris
12-23-10, 09:41

+1

Same here.

300WM
12-23-10, 09:50
My Glock triggers are as they were when I bought them. I joke a little about them, but they are actually not that bad. I do not know enough about the things you guys are discussing to make a comment on what I prefer.

Anyone willing to give me a short lesson on what "-" means? The irony here is I have two Glocks.

cathellsk
12-23-10, 10:13
The Glock 3.5lb. (now referred to as the 4.5lb. by them) connector is marked with a minus symbol (dash), so sometimes people refer to it as the "-" connector.

JonInWA
12-23-10, 10:52
Glock has 3 connectors-the Standard one (5.5 lbs) with no external markings, the Minus one (at 4.5 lbs) marked literally with a "-", and the Plus one (at 8 lbs), marked with a "+".

The differences in poundage of triggerpull is achieved by variations in the ramp angles-the shallower the angle, the lighter the pull.

Trigger reset distance is also a side result-the "-" connector provides the shortest reset distance.

Best, Jon

M4arc
12-23-10, 12:09
Having owned and carried Glocks over the years I think I've tried just about every connector/spring combo but I always go back to the standard setup.

Scotter260
12-23-10, 12:14
Duty Glock 17 and back-up/off-duty 26 have NY1 with Ghost 3.5 lb. connector. Prefer stiffer DAO/DAK-like triggers on my semi-autos.

swampfox1975
12-23-10, 12:43
ghost 3.5 in all my glocks and a little flitzing on each one after the install. It breaks like it's on roller bearings and smooth as wet glass.

TheLefty
12-23-10, 13:10
My preference is the standard spring with the "-" connector, with a well-broken-in standard 5.5lb setup being a close second.

In my limited experience with the NY1/"-" connector combination, I didn't care for it, but I can certainly see its appeal to some people.

jp0319
12-23-10, 13:33
Reduced power trigger spring, 3.5" connector (glock or ghost), reduced power plunger spring, plus a good polishing of all internal surfaces. I heavily polish and round the plunger it self which smoothed the pull by doing away with the abrupt transition on the factory set up.

littlejerry
12-23-10, 13:54
I tried the (-) and NY1 combo for a while on my Gen3 19. Seemed to help when doing static precision shooting.

When I bought a Gen4 19 I ran it in a few classes completely stock. Much to my surprise, I couldn't see any discernible difference in my performance with the modified Gen3 trigger and the stock Gen4 trigger(which by all accounts is "worse" than the stock Gen3).

After that I switched the Gen3 back to the stock setup. I don't have any plans to mess with Glock triggers.

Palmguy
12-23-10, 14:28
NY1/- for me. I don't mind the stock setup; in fact my 17 is still stock as I don't have a Glock connector for it and I didn't like the LWD - that I have in the parts box.

300WM
12-23-10, 14:58
Having owned and carried Glocks over the years I think I've tried just about every connector/spring combo but I always go back to the standard setup.

To cathellsk and JonInWA, thanks for the schooling. In retrospect, I should have been able to figure that out just by reading the posts.

I bought new so the standard setup is probably what I have. It is a different trigger than my other pistols, but I would not change it. I like just the way it is.

Business_Casual
12-23-10, 15:37

Exactly, a little oil and a lot of trigger pulls too.

B_C

DaveR
12-23-10, 15:40
I used the 3.5 connector and NY #1 for a while when I shot revolvers more, gave more of the same feel as a revolver. When I sold my last revolver I tried leaving the 3.5 in but eventually switched back to 5.5. Just feels better to me.

Dave

M4arc
12-23-10, 15:48
Exactly, a little oil and a lot of trigger pulls too.

B_C

Yep. A few years back Mark5pt56 and I hit the range and he was shooting my primary G19. After a magazine he turned around, gave me the evil eye and asked if I installed the #3.5 connector (back when it was called the 3.5 connector). I told him it was the standard connector. Just 4-5K through the gun plus dry firing makes for a nice Glock trigger ;)

NCPatrolAR
12-23-10, 15:53
I originally went to the NY1 - setup after breaking two trigger springs insdie of 6 months on my 19. It wasnt until I replaced the entire trigger bar did I go to standard - in the 19. My 34 has always had the standard - setup and I was forced to run the NY2 w/ standard connector in my 26 until people at work got some common sense.

woodandsteel
12-23-10, 15:59
My first two Glocks (issued) had an 8 pound trigger on it. They issued the 8 pound trigger because of a fear of negligent discharges. I absolutley hated that trigger, and as a result I hated Glocks as well.

After a lot of lobbying by other officers on the department, we were issued Glocks with the standard 5.5 pound triggers. With that, and some personal training, my shooting greatly improved. I am now a total Glock fan.

My old Glocks with the 8 pound triggers have been replaced to the standard 5.5 pound triggers.

tfltackdriver
12-23-10, 19:57
I fitted a 3.5# ghost rocket and swapped everything out for the Wolff competition (spring) pack. That's a + trigger return spring, - safety plunger spring and a - striker spring.
With this setup, I can keep all my rounds in the 9 ring on a B-27 at 25 yards. Unfortunately, I also had 3 failures to fire (insufficient striker force) in 100 rounds and one instance of burst fire (weee!). The sweet spot and reset were so close together that if I was riding the reset like I would with a stock trigger set up, it would effectively go full-auto under recoil (like bump firing, but only 70% as retarded-looking). The reset was also reduced to the point that the trigger safety blade also wouldn't re-engage with the frame unless the trigger was manually pulled forward.
Out the striker spring came and back went the stock striker spring -- this solved all the problems. I have yet to test the weight, but I'd say it's a hair under 4 lbs, substantially reduced reset and very little overtravel. I consider it to be a very nice trigger. I shoot the bejesus out of it and it is my EDC.

skyugo
12-23-10, 20:47
I go with the regular setup.
i'd like to give the NY1 and - connector a try, but meh.. :confused: supposedly that trigger spring is less likely to break.
When i first got my g19 i thought the trigger was crap. now it's my favorite glock feature. it's awesome for double taps. :cool:

markm
12-23-10, 21:04
My Glock triggers are as they were when I bought them.... <snip>... I do not know enough about the things you guys are discussing to make a comment on what I prefer.

Exactly!! I have no idea what these guys are talking about. :confused:

300WM
12-23-10, 22:20
I'll attempt to give you the "just schooled" answer and hope I don't f... up. In short, it is changes made in trigger parts that give the trigger a different feel, according to what you prefer.A light, medium, or heavy pull. And I would guess that one of these parts reduces the amount of travel the trigger has.

I hope I didn't just open myself a can of dumbass.

cathellsk
12-23-10, 23:42
I originally went to the NY1 - setup after breaking two trigger springs insdie of 6 months on my 19. It wasnt until I replaced the entire trigger bar did I go to standard - in the 19. My 34 has always had the standard - setup and I was forced to run the NY2 w/ standard connector in my 26 until people at work got some common sense.

Why did your department make you run the NY2 in your 26 and not your primary? That is weird.

CLHC
12-23-10, 23:47
Stock straight out of the box. :cool:

blackboar
12-25-10, 19:46
I agree with standard, right out of the box. In fact, I should be picking up my 34 this Wednesday (MD 8 day wait). I will end up ordering a standard connector for it.

Suwannee Tim
12-25-10, 20:02
Deleted.

Dirtyboy333
12-25-10, 20:14
I love my G23c's pull with Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector, increased power wolff trigger spring, reduced power firing pin spring (wolff) and reduced power firing pin block spring(wolff). Its been so long since ive installed it i forget the exact rates of the springs but it is def. my favorite set up. It takes a lil pratice to get used to the light pull but my shooting improved dramatically and instantly after the change from stock. I have fired about 2,800 rounds with this set up and dry fired at least double that amount and i've never had a light primer strike with all diff. types of ammo but mainly the wal-mart federal load which i heard use cci primers that are known to be hard. Never measured the pull but it's definitely lighter than my USP 45c in SA and i think is crisper with a much better reset. The pull is also MUCH lighter than my Sig P238 with reduced hammer spring but its not as crisp. I figure that if im in a defensive situation (which is rare) i will be more worried about my life then sum lawyer and i could also make a case that the lighter trigger greatly increases my accuracy making it actually safer in terms of stray bullets. But the main defense is to stress that you absolutely meant to fire and it wasn't an accidental discharge and then the weight of the trigger becomes irrelevant.

Alpha Sierra
12-25-10, 21:58
On a Gen4 G17 a Scherer 3.5 connector and a polish of all contact points yields a 5.5 lb pull with no other mods.

ETA: I only did this because MY Gen4's trigger was 8 lbs from the factory.

jmcrawf1
12-25-10, 22:12
I prefer stock trs and connector with all the contact points polished. I polish the whole trigger bar to make it pretty.

Mark71
12-25-10, 23:03
I prefer the standard Glock trigger along with the smooth trigger on the compact (19) and subcompact guns (26).

cathellsk
12-25-10, 23:16
Well, after days of dryfiring and a couple range trips, I'm sticking with the factory standard 5.5lb setup. I'm too used to it and it just works for me. I have the choice and am not mandated by any department policy so I will be sticking with this from here on out. Guess since I was on vacation last week I was just bored and got thinking of something different. ;)
I also run smooth triggers in my 19s and 26s. Even if I had a 34/35 I'd put in a standard connector like an above poster mentioned.