PDA

View Full Version : I know nothing.

kwelz
12-22-10, 21:12
No my account hasn't been hacked and no I am not trolling.

I was just reminded today how little I know. However it also made me look at how much less I don't know than a year ago.

This site has been invaluable in showing me that I don't know what I don't know. And just as importantly it helped me find a local trainer that has shown me more in the last year than I learned in 14 years of shooting previous to that.

So a big thank you to M4C, Grant, Rob, Katar(Jay), Templar, Mr. Smith and all the other people that have forgotten more than I will ever know.

You have made me a better shooter and changed the way I look at not only shooting but other parts of life as well.

I am amazed how much more I know now, and can't wait to see what the next years of training and learning will bring me.

Robb Jensen
12-22-10, 21:16
Glad you like it here brother.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :D

mc223
12-22-10, 21:20
This is my first post on this forum.

I really do appreciate your sincere humbleness.

No offence intended, but we could all look in the mirror sometimes just to see who is looking back.

kwelz
12-22-10, 21:22
This is my first post on this forum.

I really do appreciate your sincere humbleness.

No offence intended, but we could all look in the mirror sometimes just to see who is looking back.

I don't think anyone here will take offense. Heck that is pretty much the point I was making about myself. Welcome to the forum.

MrDough
12-22-10, 22:56
"The more you know, the less you know" so they say ;)

Trajan
12-22-10, 23:00
I must agree. The amount of knowledge I have learned here in one year is truly amazing.

Jellybean
12-22-10, 23:19
Let alone 6 months....
I know my thinking on wants/needs for my AR (and a whole lot of other stuff) has made almost a complete 180 in just that much time.
And is still changing.

Karcas
12-22-10, 23:26
M4C took me from a DPMS AP4 to a BCM BFH 16" middy. I owe this site a lot lol.

Korgs130
12-23-10, 03:25
M4C took me from a DPMS AP4 to a BCM BFH 16" middy. I owe this site a lot lol.

I went from Stag to BCM 14.5" Middy. This site is priceless.

Naxet1959
12-23-10, 07:00
I would have purchased CMMG instead of the M&P15 thanks to this site. I have bought more goodies for it a great prices from this site. My knowledge base is way larger because of M4C but my level of expertise is not even in the same state, let alone the same ballpark as most of you guys.

I read more and post less... its a rush when I can post to contribute when we veer into areas where I have a little info to add. This one is just to say "Thanks!"

rat31465
12-23-10, 07:14
"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance." Socrates

A quote which I have liked since my days in High School...I've always thought that anyone who realized that they didn't know everything was already a step ahead of most of the pack.

We all can and should strive to learn something new everyday...and there is plenty to learn about firearms and combat etc....from the members here in this forum.

rkba01
12-23-10, 07:30
This site is priceless.
I think about this site every time I see my credit card statements ... :eek:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Jay Cunningham
12-23-10, 07:44

I was just reminded today how little I know. However it also made me look at how much less I don't know than a year ago.

This site has been invaluable in showing me that I don't know what I don't know. And just as importantly it helped me find a local trainer that has shown me more in the last year than I learned in 14 years of shooting previous to that.

So a big thank you to M4C, Grant, Rob, Katar(Jay), Templar, Mr. Smith and all the other people that have forgotten more than I will ever know.

You have made me a better shooter and changed the way I look at not only shooting but other parts of life as well.

I am amazed how much more I know now, and can't wait to see what the next years of training and learning will bring me.

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

rob_s
12-23-10, 07:56
kwelz, we're glad to have you, and if any of our posts help you and guys like you, then for most of us that's entirely the point.

While some of us may come across as gruff, or rude, or arrogant, or opinionated, we really are just trying to help. Most times we're trying to steer new shooters or people new to the AR platform away from making the same mistakes many of us made ourselves.

I've been meaning to add a "my story" page to my site to help reinforce this, and you've reminded me to make that a priority when my redesign is complete. Every time I see someone about to make the same mistakes I did I want to be able to have something to link them to so that they can understand the context of the, perhaps rude or gruff, post that I make trying to steer them in the right direction.

Nobody_Special
12-23-10, 07:59
It is a wise man that knows he knows nothing

djegators
12-23-10, 08:33
I too have learned more in the past year about guns and shooting than the previous 17 years or so, and this forum has been a big part of that. Thanks to all who contribute here!

kaiservontexas
12-23-10, 08:44
I admit it. If I would have never stubbed my toe with my first purchase and then being disappointed . . . I would not have found this site, probably would never have put together my own lower, and not have the understanding I have right now, which still has a long way to go. Then again that is why I like this forum.

Army Chief
12-23-10, 08:46
The thing that interests me is not so much that people end up making hardware changes as a result of their participation here (i.e. "I sold my Oly and bought a DD or BCM"), but rather how such decisions reflect positively upon the commitment, expanding knowledge base, and mindset of the shooter/member.

M4C isn't the home of the Black Rifle. M4C is the home of those who aspire to employ the Black Rifle most effectively, and tool selection is simply a component of a larger maturation process. It is our shared commitment to competence that really makes the difference ... and for the record, we are all just humble students of a very complex art.

AC

Watrdawg
12-23-10, 08:54
Before this site I was thoroughly convinced that RRA, DPMS and BM were all top of the line AR's Of course COLT was at the pinnacle. I had no clue who DD, Noveske and BCM were. I had even purchased a Ruger piston gun before finding this site. Thank God I found M4C quickly. I was able to sell my Ruger and put together a BCM 14.5 Middy on top of an LMT lower and then throw in a Geiselle SSA. I did that without losing any extra money.

I think I've told at least 20 people I know about this site and the unbelievable resource it is!! This site also has greatly reinforced that fact that I have a ton to learn and thankfully here I have the resources to accomplish that goal.

rob_s
12-23-10, 09:03
The thing that interests me is not so much that people end up making hardware changes as a result of their participation here (i.e. "I sold my Oly and bought a DD or BCM"), but rather how such decisions reflect positively upon the commitment, expanding knowledge base, and mindset of the shooter/member.

M4C isn't the home of the Black Rifle. M4C is the home of those who aspire to employ the Black Rifle most effectively, and tool selection is simply a component of a larger maturation process. It is our shared commitment to competence that really makes the difference ... and for the record, we are all just humble students of a very complex art.

AC

What interests me, because it happened to me, is how many people come here looking for some bullshit gun to post pictures of on the internets and wind up instead seeking out training and improving their skillset. I will forever be thankful to M4C for curing me of being a barfcom dumbass with a pretty gun and a camera. I think it would have happened anyway, and the transition was in-progress prior to my banning there (for things posted here, ironically) but events in that time period really pushed me to re-evaluate my priorities and I believe I'm better for it.

markm
12-23-10, 09:12
kwelz, are you hitting the egg nog a little early? :D

sadmin
12-23-10, 09:13
Another big THANK YOU to M4, the community, SME's and of course the MODS / Seniors. The information is backed by facts, experience, and is sincerely honest. I have gained so much and continue to gain relevant information that saves me both time and money. Its a fantastic resource.

Merry Christmas!

kwelz
12-23-10, 09:14

AC

Yep. This is exactly how it has been for me. The gear change is just a symptom of the changing mindset. Before this last year I never had any formal training. Now I have attended 4 classes, including a VSM class and another taught by Mr. Hackathorn himself. I am signed up for another early next year and will be attending as many as possible as schedules are made.

I have also noticed a chance in the way I approach other facets of my life. It really is almost like a switch was thrown. Something just clicked and went, Oh yeah! This is how it is supposed to be.

I forced myself to go back and read some of my old posts here. It was enough to make me feel physically ill. I was ignorant and bull headed. I guess in many ways I still am. But I understand that I am ignorant and bull headed now, so it allows me to learn.

kwelz
12-23-10, 09:16
kwelz, are you hitting the egg nog a little early? :D

No! How dare you accuse me of such a thing..

It was bourbon

C4IGrant
12-23-10, 11:14
Today is my B-Day. So I did all the things I like. Stayed out till 2AM last night playing poker with friends, slept in this morning. Watched Fox News while I ate breakfast and talked with the kids and wife.

Then I found this thread. It made my day. Knowing that I have been able to help someone (in just the slightest way) makes me feel good about how I live my life.

Those of us that have learned lessons the hard way (by buying crap gear and guns) SHOULD share what we know so that others don't fall into the same trap.

M4C is an Oasis in land full of misinformation and stupidity.

Merry Christmas Kwelz!

C4

SeriousStudent
12-23-10, 11:34
Happy Birthday, Grant!

I'm with Kwelz. This site has taught me an enormous amount. It's helped me make much more informed decisions.

It's also provided some nice little reflective markers, so I know right where my lane is. The ride is much smoother for everyone that way. ;)

Icculus
12-23-10, 11:56
Merry Christmas to all those who make this a great place...you're one of them kwelz :D and happy birthday Grant

C4IGrant
12-23-10, 11:59
happy birthday Grant

Thanks much.

C4

kwelz
12-23-10, 13:43
Happy birthday Grant.

I am sure I will see you at a class eventually. When we meet I owe you a beer!

Liberec
12-23-10, 14:13
I trolled the forum for over 3 years and felt I learned alot of valuable info that helped me make much better choices on equipment and rifles. I am really glad I made good first choices, instead of learning the hard way. And that is due to the knowledge you guys offer and lots of reading. I am sure my wife hates all of you! I joined a few months ago and figured I would join in when I feel I have something to add or a question to ask.
Hope all you guys and your family have a Merry Christmas!

Liberec

Mr. Smith
12-23-10, 14:25

Thanks brother
That is what life is all about.
I am glad to have you in class as a student

NotDylan
12-23-10, 14:39
Without M4C, I'd probably be carrying a Judge IWB with a Circuit Judge as my long arm :D

Merry Christmas

kwelz
12-23-10, 15:08
Thanks brother
That is what life is all about.
I am glad to have you in class as a student

Thank you my friend. The hands on experience you give me has been without peer.

And now I have resigned myself to budgeting an extra $150 per month next year for classes.

afff_667
12-23-10, 15:29
I have to chime in here, too, and express a lot of sincere gratitude to those previouosly mentioned by kwelz and others. I came here seeking to confirm the wisdom of what I knew and what I knew I wanted, etc and had my eyes opened. I spent over 14 months reading, learning, and making a binder full of notes before I bought a BCM 16" mid=length in September and, more importantly, didn't buy a bunch of crap to hang off of it and myself. My formal training process begins next spring, and I am looking forward to it like nothing else in a long, long time. It's been humbling to realize that I know nothing...it's exciting to have a world opened.

So, Happy Birthday to Grant (from whom I purchased my BCM lower and upper), and Merry Christmas to all of y'all that, believe it or not, have done much to confirm for me that there is a whole lot of good remaining in this ol' world.

rat31465
12-23-10, 15:41
Happy Birthday Grant.....Thanks for all that you do here.

RogerinTPA
12-23-10, 15:45

AC

Well said AC.

C4IGrant
12-23-10, 15:50
Thanks guys.

Spent all day working in the shop getting orders out.

Father in law is in town from NY and am off for a BDAY dinner.

Stay Thirsty my Friends!
http://brucemctague.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/dos-equis-1.jpg

C4

yellowfin
12-23-10, 16:41
I'm very new here and very much look forward to learning a year's worth of knowledge and beyond. If nothing else I'm glad to be aware that there's such a wide world ahead for me to explore.

Mac5.56
12-23-10, 16:51
Agreed kwelz,

This site has been invaluable to me regarding both learning the M4 platform, as well as improving my shooting in ways I never thought were possible 7 years ago.

I know I'm a pain in the ass sometimes, but I really appreciate this community, and all it has taught me regarding firearm use. By far the best gun forum online!!!

Mr. Smith
12-23-10, 16:57
Thank you my friend. The hands on experience you give me has been without peer.

And now I have resigned myself to budgeting an extra $150 per month next year for classes.

Thank you brother.

Shoot 1st
12-23-10, 16:58
New to this site but not to many others, im really impressed so far. I trolled around a few months before i finally made a name.

durus5995
12-24-10, 00:26
What I really love about this site is that I have not run into anybody that absolutely knows it all. Sure there are people who are pretty darn close to knowing it all but for the most part everyone has an open mind to pretty much everything and is willing to learn. Well except if you think a DPMS is the best AR ever. But I think there is a reason for that lol.

groobash
12-24-10, 08:26
Yes, from another lurker - thank you guys very much for sharing your knowledge and experience. I respect that this is life or death serious business for some of you, but for me it's just good loud fun and exercising my right to bear arms.

Also, thanks to the site owners and mods for keeping this board mature (but not too stiff!), and thanks to the site sponsors. I hope you're enjoying all my money. :big_boss:

11B101ABN
12-24-10, 15:04
I dont use it as much as I probably should but I still enjoy gleaning info from some of the guys on here.

Quentin
12-24-10, 17:35
Kwelz, thanks for this thread and reminding so many of us just how much we've learned from the experienced guys on M4C. We owe them so much for taking the time to help.

It was hard to admit our mistakes and misinformation; it was painful to have our favorite brands dashed but now - we do know something! :laugh:

Dirtyboy333
12-24-10, 20:19
Yeah seriously thanks alot for all the invakuable info guys.....This might sound arrogant but after lurking around on this site for the past few months i honestly cant have an interesting conversation with the local gun store salesman anymore when it comes to AR's........It's like were on different levels and when i mention something as simple as HP/MPI i just get a blank stare.....I mention BCM and they never heard of them......its frustrating...anyway, thanks dudes

kwelz
12-24-10, 21:36
Wow lots of new people poping up in this thread. I honestly never thought people would reply to my thread this way.

One thing that it took me a long way to learn is that there is only so much you can get from listening to people. It takes hands on to find out what really works for you.

I have a great example of this. Mr. Smith who posted above is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met. I rely on his knowledge. But there comes a point when things that work for him won't necessarily work for me or be my personal preference.

For instance he doesn't like ACOGs or my choice in silencers. His reasons for both are very valid. However I love ACOGs and in my very limited experience shoot better with them. And I had to make a choice on my silencer for what was important for me. As I get better this may change. In fact I am pretty sure he is right in both cases. But if I don't try it out then I will never know.

So it is a matter of taking the knowledge that we get from these people and then learning ourselves and finding out what works best.

blgjr64
12-25-10, 00:23
Same here. Even though I dont post much at all (which I need to!) I really appreciate how everyone on M4C is respectful and willing to help people with the same interests.

bamcis
12-25-10, 01:46
Well, I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon too, and add a little story of my own.

This is my first post on this forum. I've been a little hesitant about making any posts for fear of being ripped a new one and being told to USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION newby!

Presently I'm home from on vacation from "undisclosed location(s)" in south central Asia (civilian contractor). A month or so ago my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas so I put in an order for an AR. She asked for clarification. Me not knowing shit about AR's, I pointed her to the Bushmaster website. Keep in mind internet bandwidth is a little precious.

Then I found this site. I managed to contact her literally JUST before she was about to "pull the trigger" (yes, pun intended) and order one.

To make a long story short, thanks to this forum and "The Chart" by Rob, I amended my Christmas wish list with my wife. Since my time here at home is very limited she presented me with a BCM M4 mod 2 a little early! My sincere thanks to Rob and everyone else who knows a helluva lot more than me and took the time to post here. You saved me a shitload of buyer's remorse.

Side note:
Funny thing happened when the wife and I took it out on Wednesday. We put around 1200 rounds through it. Awesome rifle! Here's the funny part, she ended up putting a lot more rounds through it than me. Now she wants one of her own! :help:

I have such a cool wife!!

Terry
12-25-10, 11:11
First off, Happy birthday Grant.
Second, I can never thank everyone here enough.
I also went from a Bushmaster to 2 DD, well 1 complete, 1 BCM blem lower and DD mid length DD upper.
The thing people should never forget is the people that provide the information are doing it for free.
They donate there time and knowledge, sometimes even recieve grief from people, wanting nothing in return.
So, Thank you to all, Merry Christmas, and Happy New year.

supersix4
12-25-10, 13:06
The wealth of knowledge and experience on this site is huge, I am grateful to be a member. I read more and post less. Heck, I cant even post in GD yet.

I appreciate the staff and mods that limit the jackassery on M4C and maintain the focus of this site.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

QuickStrike
12-25-10, 14:47
This site has taught me many many things regarding combat weapons, and is my main source of info on guns. Probably saved me thousands from avoiding junk.

Really useful compared to the ones full of n0obs who declare their XD's to be great, after who knows how many rounds (a couple hundred?).

I'm really glad that people around here have the balls to correct or challenge BS claims and 2nd hand info.

This ain't the typical gun forum of average gun owners.

Many thanks!

RogerinTPA
12-25-10, 15:29
Yeah seriously thanks alot for all the invakuable info guys.....This might sound arrogant but after lurking around on this site for the past few months i honestly cant have an interesting conversation with the local gun store salesman anymore when it comes to AR's........It's like were on different levels and when i mention something as simple as HP/MPI i just get a blank stare.....I mention BCM and they never heard of them......its frustrating...anyway, thanks dudes

Agreed. They have no idea what a Daniel Defense, BCM, or Noveske is. I was in a local gun shop arranging for a transfer on a DD lower, and the folks looked at me like a had a second head growing out of my neck. I explained who they were and they said it was a huge mistake and I should have ordered a BM, RRA or Stag. After a hardy laugh, I said no thanks and asked them to please fax their FFL to the number I handed them.

We all collectively had a starting point. The great thing about M4C is we learn and mentor each other, regardless of post count. While that can be a hard pill to swallow and a cold slap in the face for most new members, those that can be humble and learn, are the ones who will appreciate what M4C has to offer the most. Those that don't, won't check their egos and previous beliefs at the sign in page, will argue to infinity, then get banned or leave. To them I say good riddance. To everyone else, I say enjoy your stay.

Dirtyboy333
12-25-10, 17:49
Agreed. They have no idea what a Daniel Defense, BCM, or Noveske is. I was in a local gun shop arranging for a transfer on a DD lower, and the folks looked at me like a had a second head growing out of my neck. I explained who they were and they said it was a huge mistake and I should have ordered a BM, RRA or Stag. After a hardy laugh, I said no thanks and asked them to please fax their FFL to the number I handed them.

We all collectively had a starting point. The great thing about M4C is we learn and mentor each other, regardless of post count. While that can be a hard pill to swallow and a cold slap in the face for most new members, those that can be humble and learn, are the ones who will appreciate what M4C has to offer the most. Those that don't, won't check their egos and previous beliefs at the sign in page, will argue to infinity, then get banned or leave. To them I say good riddance. To everyone else, I say enjoy your stay. Thats funny because i had the exact same thing happen to me: was at a different FFL then i previously stated transferring my stripped DD lower and just outta curiosity i asked the sales clerk/gunsmith (who is locally known to be an expert) what he thought of DD and he said "Well, their fine i guess but theres much better options out there from the major manufacturers like BM". lol Now i know were just talking stripped lowers here but from his response I instantly knew that he had no idea who DD is. Was probably the 1st product he has seen of theirs.

usmcvet
12-25-10, 19:52
Great post. I've learned quite a bit here too in the last year or so. I went from a BM to LMT & BCM and a few SBR's you guys gave me BRD!:sarcastic:

Robb Jensen
12-25-10, 20:03
If you find a dealer who doesn't know who LMT, BCM, DD, Noveske and KAC are than you should probably find another dealer.

Dirtyboy333
12-25-10, 20:31
If you find a dealer who doesn't know who LMT, BCM, DD, Noveske and KAC are than you should probably find another dealer.
i agree but i use them for transfers only. I come here for all my informational needs:D

hunter123
12-25-10, 21:51
Happy birthday Grant!

120mm
12-25-10, 22:01
Today is my B-Day. So I did all the things I like. Stayed out till 2AM last night playing poker with friends, slept in this morning. Watched Fox News while I ate breakfast and talked with the kids and wife.

Then I found this thread. It made my day. Knowing that I have been able to help someone (in just the slightest way) makes me feel good about how I live my life.

Those of us that have learned lessons the hard way (by buying crap gear and guns) SHOULD share what we know so that others don't fall into the same trap.

M4C is an Oasis in land full of misinformation and stupidity.

Merry Christmas Kwelz!

C4

Ha! I'm a Christmas baby, myself. And I have had several "I know nothing" moments since 2004, when I actually started learning something about ARs, despite having used them since 1982.

M4C is, indeed an oasis.

RogerinTPA
12-25-10, 22:07
i agree but i use them for transfers only. I come here for all my informational needs:D

Agreed. Only for transfers. I haven't bought a firearm over the counter in years. You want to really freak them out? Show them a copy of the "chart". They normally go ape shit defending BM, RRA or Stag.:p