PDA

View Full Version : Mag. springs?

cdunn
12-23-10, 05:56
I was thinking about mag. spring replacement, because none of mine have ever been changed, the question in will one spring work in different brands?I have Tripp,Certac,Wilson,Brown , Nighthawk andAct mags all 8rd, and I'd rater by spring once from one place.

Dos Cylindros
12-23-10, 08:18
Tripp sells a mag follower and spring replacement kit that you can use in pretty much any mag. The follower design usually reduces 8 round mag capacity (in non Tripp mags) to seven rounds. Hilton Yam highly recomends the Tripp super seven replacement kit.

Dave Berryhill
12-23-10, 08:30
There are some differences between mag springs. CMC and other mags using the Shooting Star/Devel follower require a spring that hooks into the small tab on the underside of the follower. Skirted followers like Ed Browns (Metalforms) need a spring that is shorter from front to rear because the skirt surrounds the spring as it is compressed, etc.

You might be able to use a common spring for the Tripp, CerTac, Metalform and others having a follower with a skirt but I can't say for sure.

Pain
12-27-10, 17:02
Unless you are having problems, I wouldn't bother with spring replacements for the mag.

To test your mag spring, load 2 cartridges in your mag. Lightly press down on the top cartridge, then release it. If it snaps up smartly, the mag and springs are GTG.