PDA

View Full Version : Low-light practice, low flash ammo?

littlejerry
12-23-10, 15:04
I'm taking a low light course in a few weeks at a local range. I've done low light shooting before with my Glock 19 and noticed a fairly significant difference between my carry ammo(Ranger RA9B) and practice ammo(Brown Bear) in terms of flash.

Are there any recommendations for low-flash practice ammo for this class? Or should I just deal with the orange ball that the Brown Bear throws out?

operator81
12-23-10, 15:12
I've used the basic Winchester White Box at night quite a bit and never noticed the muzzle flash when using a handheld or weapon mounted light. Can't comment on the Brown Bear at night.

ApacheTactical
12-23-10, 15:21
B.E. Meyer flashhider on your weapon you do not have to worry about ammo choice. Check out their site and watch vids. I have one of these and love it for night fire.

C4IGrant
12-23-10, 15:57
I'm taking a low light course in a few weeks at a local range. I've done low light shooting before with my Glock 19 and noticed a fairly significant difference between my carry ammo(Ranger RA9B) and practice ammo(Brown Bear) in terms of flash.

Are there any recommendations for low-flash practice ammo for this class? Or should I just deal with the orange ball that the Brown Bear throws out?

Your LE ammo (Like Ranger) is going to have a flash Retardant in it.

So unless you want to shoot that, there isn't much you can do about it.

C4

usmcvet
12-23-10, 18:51
Your LE ammo (Like Ranger) is going to have a flash Retardant in it.

So unless you want to shoot that, there isn't much you can do about it.

C4

The Ranger is great at night. If this is a class for work buy the Ranger on letter head, the the price savings is worth the effort.

markm
12-23-10, 21:10
I don't mind higher flash ammo for practice/training. Excessively smokie ammo would crap me out though.