PDA

View Full Version : Two quick tech Qs on KAC Micro front sight...

YVK
12-23-10, 15:09
...Micro folding front sight, P/N 25654 - does anybody know:

- if it locks up in erect position, or is just held by friction

- its weight.

Couldn't find any of that via search or on their website.

Thanks.

kdcgrohl
12-23-10, 15:12
It's held in position with a detent.

Not sure on the weight, but it's pretty light.

Skang
12-23-10, 17:00
weight should be same or less than Troy Inc. Folding sights.

E-Mail KAC.

Meplat
12-23-10, 19:50
...Micro folding front sight, P/N 25654 - does anybody know:

- if it locks up in erect position, or is just held by friction

- its weight.

Couldn't find any of that via search or on their website.

Thanks.
The KAC sights don't have a locking mechanism, just a detent to keep them stuck in place until you or something else thumbs/pushes them down.
The KAC micros are very light. I don't have any Troys on hand to compare, but from memory they are lighter than Troys.

YVK
12-23-10, 21:07
It's held in position with a detent.

The KAC sights don't have a locking mechanism, just a detent to keep them stuck in place until you or something else thumbs/pushes them down.

Thanks, gents.

How positive is a detent - easy to knock it down accidentally, or one needs to push hard to move it?

Meplat
12-23-10, 21:20
Thanks, gents.

How positive is a detent - easy to knock it down accidentally, or one needs to push hard to move it?

It's not going to collapse on it's own from movement. If it hits, bumps, or snags something, it will very likely collapse, which is a good thing.
I prefer sights that don't lock, as any force I would likely encounter in bumping them, such as getting caught or snagged, would likely be enough to break the small mechanism inside and render the entire thing useless.
Whereas a detent sight will simply collapse and then need to be put back up. No harm, no foul.
I just checked, and the amount of force it requires to collapse the KAC micro front sight is just about 2lbs exactly.

YVK
12-23-10, 21:36
Whereas a detent sight will simply collapse and then need to be put back up. No harm, no foul.

Early in my training I took a couple of classes with irons only, to pay my dues so to speak. The first class I used Troy's folding sights. The only thing that doesn't lock on those is a small L-shaped aperture selector that rotates and allows one to choose large or small aperture. Murphy's law being what it is, twice during the class I mounted my rifle and found that selector to be in "no man's land" - just between large and small circle positions. Needless to say, I do prefer to shoot using both front and rear sights, not front only...:p

That was my experience leading me to prefer sights that lock up solidly.

Anyway, I appreciate the information and taking the time figuring out the amount of force required to close the sight. I'll probably get one, it seems to fit my requirements.