PDA

View Full Version : EOTech and Aimpoint Alternatives?

Vegas
12-23-10, 16:38
If I am spending $400 - 500 on an optic and it's not an EOTech or Aimpoint, what are my alternatives?

Thanks.

kwelz
12-23-10, 16:50
Trijicon RMR.

AlphaKoncepts
12-23-10, 18:58
Compared to the Eotech, the RMR is tiny. JUst too small for my tastes, though the Eotech is too large. Personally I am trying to find something in the middle.

Buck
12-23-10, 19:05
You may want to look at the Insight Tech MRDS...

On/Off – Powers up in 0.5 seconds
3.5 MOA or 7.0 MOA
Up To 1 Year Run Time
Variable auto dot intensity
Manual dot intensity control with 4 settings
Top load battery with no loss of zero
Mounts via existing aftermarket mounting systems
1 MOA click adjustable for elevation and windage
Impact resistant polymer lens with proprietary abrasion resistant, anti-reflective coating
Waterproof up 66 feet for 2 hours
Meets MIL-STD 810G
Operates in temperatures ranging from -40o C to 49o C
Dimensions: L 1.9″ x W 1.1″ x H 1.2″
Weighs 0.85oz including battery
Uses (1) 1632 battery
Low battery indicator

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/botach_2138_111852193

glocktogo
12-23-10, 23:57
What is your intended use? If it's to be a range or game gun, there are lots of options. If it's for duty use, I'd stick with Aimpoint (my preference) or EOTech unless you need magnification. Why resist such proven designs?

patriot_man
12-24-10, 12:24
Get a T1 if you're iffy about the size. Glocktogo has a point about buying something proven.

There are other options such as the ISM-V which go for around ~$500 used but if size is a factor you don't want to get it.

Failure2Stop
12-24-10, 12:36
Is there a reason you don't want to go with the most proven optics, or are you just trying to be a beautiful and unique snowflake?

9111B
12-24-10, 17:31
Trijicon RMR.

+1

I looked at one yesterday in person. Really like how small and light it is, I want one.

RGoose
12-24-10, 22:14
I'm mulling over this same topic too. But I am willing to pay a little more if need be. I currently have an EOTech on my 16" carbine, but for my SBR build, I'm looking for something different. A few options I'm kicking around are the Aimpoint T-1 in a LaRue high mount, ACOG TA44 (haven't narrowed down the reticule yet), and Meprolight 21/Trijicon Reflex.

The reasons I'm not considering another EOTech is battery life, the optic turning itself off, and weight. The T-1 lasts a LONG time on a battery, won't shut itself off, and weighs very little. A BIG plus. The Trijicon/Meprolight options do not use battery and have no on off switches and the examples I've handled seemed relatively light. There are always compromises to every design.

If you're looking for something other than Aimpoint, check out the reflex optics from Trijicon and Meprolight. I've like the ones I've tried out in the past and the IDF seem very happy with this optic as well.

-Rob

9111B
12-24-10, 22:30
Elcan is awesome if you can afford it.

Rhutch
12-24-10, 22:41
I have the Meprolight 21 on my Tavor, it's ok but the drawback is it's ability while shooting under cover into brightness. If your in the dark and you're trying to put the dot onto something in the light it's difficult and depending on the object almost impossible to see the dot. I like my RMR better.

opmike
12-25-10, 04:24
Is this just academic, or do you have specific reasons you're wanting an alternative?

Skyfire1201
12-26-10, 03:03
+1 on the Insight MRDS. I have it on the KZ mount with protective shroud, and the ENTIRE package including mount weighs 109 grams, which is ~4 oz. The reflective glass has less distortion compare to the Trijicon RMR I experienced with, and seems to have a bit less tint.

There are a few features that persuaded me to pick the Insight over comparable solutions like the RMR: 1) "clicky" windage & elevation adjustment, which afaik no other mini-red dot sight provides. 2) auto brightness adjustment with ability to turn on/off (rather than forcing you to remove the battery to truely turn the unit off, like some other mini red-dots). 3) Top loading battery compartment - no need to un-mount the sight to change batteries, and thus no loss of zero.

There are two minor picks I have with the sight. First of all, there are fewer mounts for it, unlike well established sights like the Aimpoint H-1 or Trijicon RMR. The Insight factory mount is too low for co-witness (it provides high upper 1/3 co-witness with standard M4 sight heights), so is the ADM mount. The only mount I know of which offers lower 1/3 co-witness is the KZ mount shown in the post above. Second of all, the unit itself is constructed out of polymer, which IMO is less sturdy compare to the aluminum body like the RMR. The factory aluminum protective shroud kind of fixes that problem, which adds to the cost of the package (~$45).

Here's the sight mounted on my AUG. I used the factory mount on top of a 0.300" thick adaptor rail to give it proper 1/3 co-witness with Magpul BUIS. The dot is a lot smaller in reality, camera didn't focus properly.
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/skyfire1201/AUG%20with%20MRDS/CIMG2083.jpg

Vegas
12-27-10, 01:33
Thanks for the input everyone. My reasons for asking are that I don't know much about optics. Aimpoint and EOTech are the obvious choices and it seems like for good reasons. I plan on using BUIS for a while until I have learnt how to shoot properly with them and also until I save some pennies to buy a quality optic.

Given my own research and what I have read here, right now I am leaning towards an EOTech, possibly the XPS2-0 as I like the more compact package. Shooting two eyes open seems like it would be easier with an EOTech than with the Aimpoint. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers,
Matt

variablebinary
12-27-10, 05:45
If not Aimpoint or Eotech, I'd get an MRDS

rob_s
12-27-10, 06:31
Why would shooting two eyes open be easier with the Eotech?

Failure2Stop
12-27-10, 06:38
Shooting two eyes open seems like it would be easier with an EOTech than with the Aimpoint. Any thoughts on that?

No difference.
Same with the RMR, Dr, and pretty much any other 1x.

There are pros and cons to each, with significant cross-over, but what it boils down to is this:
What is more important to you; being able to leave the sight "on" for years at a time (and therefore able to be used as soon as your hands touch it), or having a larger aperture in which the reticle can be seen (and therefore more forgiving of head position)?

There are other differences, of course, but these are the ones that most cause owners to be die-hard fans of one or the other.

glocktogo
12-27-10, 09:07
I prefer the Aimpoint Micros for two reasons. I've run M2/3's and briefly an EOtech. I didn't like the "grainy" reticle of the EOtech, battery life and auto shutoff feature. I prefer the Micro over the full size Aimpoints for the minimal amount of clutter outside the tube. While the FOV is smaller on the Micro, there's less bulk to occlude your FOV over and around the optic. For me that seems to make it slightly quicker on target transitions. Having less bulk to snag on stuff is an added benefit.

I prefer an H-1 on a Daniel Defense mount for LE/HD use, as I have no need for night vision compatibility.

Skyfire1201
12-27-10, 15:44
Kyle Defoor once prefered the Aimpoint mini over the EOtech http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/07/ive-received-this-question-enough-since.html, however, he has since then switched back to EOtech http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/01/return-of-eotech.html, so take it however you will.

His blog is highly educational BTW, I learned tons from it.

Vegas
12-27-10, 23:30
Why would shooting two eyes open be easier with the Eotech?

There are pros and cons to each, with significant cross-over, but what it boils down to is this:
What is more important to you; being able to leave the sight "on" for years at a time (and therefore able to be used as soon as your hands touch it), or having a larger aperture in which the reticle can be seen (and therefore more forgiving of head position)?

My perception having handled them both in the store and held them out to look through is that the EOTech with it's larger aperture would make it easier for two eyes open and target acquisition. Just my uninformed opinion and likely what will happen is I'll buy one and realize I prefer the other :D

Kyle Defoor once prefered the Aimpoint mini over the EOtech http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/07/ive-received-this-question-enough-since.html, however, he has since then switched back to EOtech http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/01/return-of-eotech.html, so take it however you will.

His blog is highly educational BTW, I learned tons from it.

Thanks for the links, they were an interesting read.

westford86
12-28-10, 00:02
Elcan RD - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=515364

I still haven't used one, but I want one. If you can find one used they're pretty cheap, compared to a comprable Aimpoint.

RogerinTPA
12-28-10, 17:28
An Aimpoint R-1. Same as the T/H-1 series, but silver in color. There's a sale at Midway for $299.00. Buy a mount and some Krylon, and you'll be good to go.