PDA

View Full Version : Identifying the age of a Gen4 Glock

ER_STL
12-23-10, 17:29
I have the opportunity to buy a like new G17 for a steal of a price. I'm most likely gonna buy it but wanted to know if it is one of the first ones made or if it's newer.

The serial number is PFCxxxxx. The finish on the slide is the 3rd gen "glossy" black and not the matte-finish I've seen on some Gen4 guns. The spring has no markings at all on it.

GLOCKMASTER
12-23-10, 17:57
A little research on Glock Talk found this (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287557&highlight=SERIAL+NUMBER+DATE#post4636128).

ER_STL
12-23-10, 18:14
Yup....you beat me to it. So it looks like this is one of the first Gen4 G17s out.

While I'm digging around, has Glock made significant changes to the Gen4 G17 model aside from the spring?

Alpha Sierra
12-23-10, 19:08
While I'm digging around, has Glock made significant changes to the Gen4 G17 model aside from the spring?
The only one I know of is a counterbore on the inside of the guide rod hole of the slide to keep the recoil spring from getting stuck in the hole.

varoadking
12-23-10, 19:55
I have the opportunity to buy a like new G17 for a steal of a price. I'm most likely gonna buy it but wanted to know if it is one of the first ones made or if it's newer.

The serial number is PFCxxxxx. The finish on the slide is the 3rd gen "glossy" black and not the matte-finish I've seen on some Gen4 guns. The spring has no markings at all on it.

Mine is a PFD - February, 2010. No counterbore, glossy slide, and an unmarked recoil spring. 3,500 rounds or so...no failures of any kind.