PDA

View Full Version : Life Cycle of a DD M4

ptmccain
12-24-10, 09:25
Curious what kind of life cycle I can expect to get from my DD M4 (v1)

Barrel? How many rounds down the pipe will it take before I have to replace it?

BCG?

Extractor?

Trigger group?

Thanks for any info.

infidelprodigy
12-24-10, 16:57
Barrel: 20-40,000 or more

BCG: about same as barrel

Extractor: preventative care suggests 5,000 rounds but I have gone way over that with DD and LMT products with no change. I say 5-10,000 rounds give or take

Trigger group: I really don't know. I've never replaced a worn out trigger group in the civilian AR community and I have shot them for over 12 years.

kartoffel
12-24-10, 17:17
If it's not a "serious purposes" gun, just shoot it until failure. Regular cleaning and inspection will catch common wear items like extractors and gas rings.

TehLlama
12-26-10, 00:29
The barrel will shoot safely long after you'll be unhappy with the groups it's making (I'm hoping that after 25,000 rounds you've gotten pretty accurate yourself), the bolt should be twice to as often - over 10,000 I'd keep a spare or consider swapping a new one in for serious use and keep the other as a known-good spare. Extractor - 5k, why not. Cheap part, the springs, gas rings would be on the same scale.

Given the costs of ammo to hit those benchmarks, if it's a rifle you're relying on a bit of preventative parts replacement isn't that pricy.