Looks like a nice hunting rifle.

austinN4
12-24-10, 12:07
What do you think about this rifle?
http://www.cooperfirearms.com/rifles.php?rifle_name=phx
What use(s) are you considering it for?

adhollow46
12-24-10, 12:45
I own one with a Benchrest Nightforce scope on it. I was wondering if I could have gotten a less costly rifle that would have shot just as well.
You are not going to be caring around this rifle. Way heavy in front. It has a twenty six inch barrel. I bought it to shoot F Class. Had it several months. I can't get it to shoot well enough to compete. It may be all me.
Just wanted to know from those who own one what they think.

Had a Remington 700 twenty five years ago. Loved the trigger, but not that it would go off by itself. Yes, it was cleaned 100% after coming back from range. I had called Remington then. They said for me to send it back for repair. They would let me know how much it would cost to fix it. I called Remington before I bought the Cooper and asked them if they ever fixed the trigger problem on the 700. They said there was never a problem with it. So I did not buy a Remington. They said it must have been me. It would go off taking it off safty or touching bolt to unload live round. Not every time, but once eveytime I went to range was to many.

Hound_va
12-24-10, 14:37
What kind of groups and at what distances are you getting out of it?

adhollow46
12-24-10, 15:25
Two inches at one hundred yards.

Hound_va
12-24-10, 15:40
That doesn't seem very good. Are you handloading, do you regularly perform much better than that, are you shooting off bags or a bipod? Lots of questions but the 11 yr old Model 21 that I have in .223 is pretty regular 1/2" group with handloads at 200 yds from a bipod using a B&L Elite 6-24 scope and Nosler BT bullets.

adhollow46
12-24-10, 16:03
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=412484

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=735047

I use the above.
Factory Federal 168 Match. Going to start reloading .308.
I reload .223. 45 ACP and 38 Special.

Alpha Sierra
12-24-10, 16:54
Two inches at one hundred yards.

That is far from precision rifle standards. .75 MOA is what I consider the minimum acceptable for ten shots.

Hound_va
12-24-10, 16:56
I'd guess at this point, it's not your rifle. Have you had anyone else shoot it off their rest and bags? How much experience do you have in shooting a rifle in this fashion for accuracy?

Merle
12-25-10, 11:29
I had the same problem with a 700 trigger before. I think it was more of a worn bolt shroud problem. I replaced the trigger with a Timney and installed a gre-tan firing pin and bolt shroud and the problems went away. How long are you letting your barrel cool between shots?

MOA
12-29-10, 10:33
If it hasn't been shot out it should be well under a inch. the x on a f-class target is what 32". Thats the 500 yard target. Thats 6.4 MOA. The x-ring, if i remember correctly, is 1 moa. So your gun needs to be a one moa gun, the smaller the better. My compettion rifle holds .5 to .75 moa, clean or dirty. the rifle has never stopped me from winning. Only I have stopped me from winning. You need a rifle that shoots at least .75 moa, .5 is better, and .25 puts it all on you.
I would say have someone else shoot the gun that is a known good shooter. If it still a 2" gun I woud contact cooper and have it fixed.

adhollow46
02-06-11, 11:20
Sorry! Had medical problems. I was trying to get the 1/2" group with load that Cooper gave me. It did not work.
I worked up three loads with three different powers that gave 1/2" or 3/8" hole with a three shot group at one hundred yards.
Great gun!

adhollow46
02-06-11, 11:42
I was thinking I could use the load Cooper gave me. Not in Texas.
I worked up three loads. I used three different powders. Four different bullets. I now have three loads that shoot at 1/2" or 3/8" groups. Three shots at one hundred yards.

DJK
02-06-11, 12:15
Sounds like you got it to work!! Is yours the single shot or the repeater?

adhollow46
02-06-11, 12:45
Click on my first post to see rifle. It is a single shot.
I shot 69 rounds that day. Shoulder was bruised and hurting.
I let barrel cool completely down between shots. I was at range for about seven hours. Took my time for every shot.